Mass LTC Wait time?

My sisiter-in-law wants to apply for her LTC in Mass. She took the required safety course in Feb, and has been calling the local PD for 3 weeks to get an appointment. She just got in touch with the officer and he told her that he has been cut to one day a week, and only part time at that for licensing. She was told she could have an appointment on September 8th for a new license. That sounds totally unreasonable to me. Is there a time limit in which they must process the application, or is she out of luck until September?

Thanks for any help and responses.

Oh wow, she doesn't even have an appointment until September? Something seems wrong there. I live in a red city, and I didn't even have to wait that long.

Have you tried contacting Comm2a?

I am sure someone else may know. I am not sure if there is a time limit to get her actual appointment, but I know once she has the appointment, that starts the 40 day clock. I am not sure who you could talk to about waiting 7 months just for an appointment. What city/town is she in?

Depends on the town. Took me 6 months to get an FID in Fall River, while it took me 3 weeks to get an LTC in Norton. Tip: Avoid cities if you want to own guns in this state

And the 40 day clock doesn't mean anything. There are quite a few of us up around the three month mark right now. Since I never paid attention before I began pursuing an LTC, I have no idea if this is the norm or not.

Well, no it doesn't matter about the 40 day clock. There is no penalty for them ignoring the 40 day clock, I was just simply saying that some cities and towns are pretty good about it.

But 6-7 months just to get an appointment is ludicrous to me. [thinking]

Well, no it doesn't matter about the 40 day clock. There is no penalty for them ignoring the 40 day clock, I was just simply saying that some cities and towns are pretty good about it.

But 6-7 months just to get an appointment is ludicrous to me. [thinking]

Agreed on both points.

I know what I would do if I was told I had to wait 6-7 months for an appointment, but most here don't have the intestinal fortitude to elevate the issue (proven by the many posts of "I don't want to call and have them think I'm 'annoying' them, they might deny me!")!

I would contact comm2A and see if they have any advice.

I think I've read somewhere that some towns believe the firearms safety class certificate is only good for 6 months. Legally, I don't think there is any expiration on these, but I wouldn't want her to show up at the appointment in Sept, and find this out the hard way, and then be told to take another class and wait another 7 months....

Agreed on both points.

I know what I would do if I was told I had to wait 6-7 months for an appointment, but most here don't have the intestinal fortitude to elevate the issue (proven by the many posts of "I don't want to call and have them think I'm 'annoying' them, they might deny me!")!

Ouch. I resemble that statement.

I applied in August had my interveiw in January was also told he was cut back to 1 day a week, in a green town, still waiting though, told me it would be about 2-3 months....

That's BS. Talk to a selectman, city councilor, town manager, mayor, etc. I would be insulted, if I was told the wait was that long. What a douchenozzle!

Agreed on both points.

Exactly. No one is going to deny anyone for calling and inquiring about their LTC.

The OP has to do something. A 6 month wait time just for an appointment is unheard of. Even in my red city it did not take that long.

I applied in August had my interveiw in January was also told he was cut back to 1 day a week, in a green town, still waiting though, told me it would be about 2-3 months....

Oh man, this is getting out of hand! In the not too distant future, you'll have to buy a gun off the street, in order to protect yourself!

Exactly. No one is going to deny anyone for calling and inquiring about their LTC.

The OP has to do something. A 6 month wait time just for an appointment is unheard of. Even in my red city it did not take that long.

Agreed I live in a red town and I went in to set up my appointment on dec 29th and I went in for prints and photos on the 11th. A 9 month wait is just too much.

Back
Top Bottom