• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass LTC Restriction Definitions

I also seen that drgrant, but I was in no mood for a pissing contest, none the less my comment stand as is....Personal responsibility. I have been around firearms since I was 17 I grew up with them, I am now 42...I am a big boy now and can make my own decisions as to what the interpretation of Class A means. ..Restricted or not...Besides that I am not walking around Wal-Mart or out to a family restaurant packing hardware.

And the penalty...what ever it's only money, you can not take it with you, just ask Ted Kennedy.

I would rather pay a fine than have one of my kids get hurt in a robbery attempt or me gunned down for $10 in change.

I really have no other comment on the subject.

"just money"? you also risk losing your permit, and in this state, that is more likely than you think.

"Personal Responsibility"? That includes not breaking the law, ironically enough.

Somebody asked if it's possible to get a restriction changed from T&H to Sporting. Yes it is, just write a letter to your COP and explain you want to take your gun camping, hiking, and fishing in remote areas and want to be protected from wild animals. There have been reports of coyotes, foxes, and a brown bear in the area.

I had my restriction removed and the new license was mailed to me no charge after a few weeks.

Thanks WayneWong, I was the guy that was curious about adding "Sporting" to my LTC A because I already have "Hunting & Target".

Well I took the steps and cut a letter to the chief in my city to see if I can get and un-restricted LTC-A Lawful Protection....Ill keep you updated on my progress.

Thank you Lens, I kept it short sweet and to the point. one can only "Hope"...Ah a Green Shoot. :)

And the penalty...what ever it's only money, you can not take it with you, just ask Ted Kennedy.
It's not just money. You'll have your LTC revoked and likely never get another.

Well I took the steps and cut a letter to the chief in my city to see if I can get and un-restricted LTC-A Lawful Protection....Ill keep you updated on my progress.
Best of luck.

It might stand to reason, but reason doesn't have a lot to do with gun laws, particularly in Massachusetts. For starters, not wearing your glasses while driving might get you a citation and a fine; carrying outside the restriction on your license is likely to get you a huge fine and an almost certain loss of your license with no time limit or course of appeal.

Ken

Update: Just received an email from my Chief, he is meeting with the License officer...I will disclose what town/city I am in if I get approval for the upgrade.

Still confused: Definitions

Ok, I read all the posts and still not clear on a few things.

I have an ltc a , no restrictions:

From what I read " I cannot carry in a school, federal or state building, On me while (if drinking with .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Is there anything else I am missing as I am new with this license and certainly don't want to screw up.

Thanks,

Ok, I read all the posts and still not clear on a few things.

I have an ltc a , no restrictions:

From what I read " I cannot carry in a school, federal or state building, On me while (if drinking with .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Is there anything else I am missing as I am new with this license and certainly don't want to screw up.

Thanks,

BAC isnt used as part of the intoxicated definition here. That is for DUI. IF a cop wants, they can hassle you after one drin of they think you are impaired......

Check out the CCW link in my sigline for a few more.

BAC isnt used as part of the intoxicated definition here. That is for DUI. IF a cop wants, they can hassle you after one drin of they think you are impaired......

Correct, though the standard is under the influence, not "impaired." A skilled defense attorney could try to get them to stick with the DUI standard of .08, but a skilled prosecutor could have you held to a lower BAC than that if they were on top of their game and knew how to play their cards. It's never been tested in a higher court, and I've read a few cases on NES where intoxication while armed factored into unsuitability despite no breath, blood or field sobriety test being administered, so it's probably not a gamble worth taking. I'd keep any alcohol intake to a minimum while armed in Mass.

One thing to remember that most do not even think of is US Post Offices are federal buildings.... you cannot have a firearm in the Post Office or even on the grounds of a Post Office...

Check out the CCW link in my sigline for a few more.

Correct, though the standard is under the influence, not "impaired." A skilled defense attorney could try to get them to stick with the DUI standard of .08, but a skilled prosecutor could have you held to a lower BAC than that if they were on top of their game and knew how to play their cards. It's never been tested in a higher court, and I've read a few cases on NES where intoxication while armed factored into unsuitability despite no breath, blood or field sobriety test being administered, so it's probably not a gamble worth taking. I'd keep any alcohol intake to a minimum while armed in Mass.

You should definetly be a lawyer.

Sooooooo: Does it stand to reason that the average LEO making a stop would weigh the restrictions about the same regardless of the license type?

No, because they are different licenses, governed by different statutes, each of which contains a specific penalty for violation of the restriction.

I recently recieved my ltc with a sporting restriction. Im not really familiar on some of the regulations regarding this restriction. Am I able to conceal carry to and from these places? For example if I go hiking can I conceal carry while I drive there while Im hiking and also on my way back home?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I recently recieved my ltc with a sporting restriction. Im not really familiar on some of the regulations regarding this restriction. Am I able to conceal carry to and from these places? For example if I go hiking can I conceal carry while I drive there while Im hiking and also on my way back home?

As each Issuing Authority independently defines restrictions, your IA is the only one who can answer your question.

As each Issuing Authority independently defines restrictions, your IA is the only one who can answer your question.

True

. . . but then any officer who stops you will have THEIR interpretation . . . and it might not be the same!

Wisdom is to NOT carry anywhere except where your restriction specifically allows . . . unless you get your IA to put their criteria in writing and carry it with you.

If your licensing officer wanted you to be able to carry concealed, he would have issued you an unrestricted LTC. He didn't.

Have you gotten any further info on the " sporting restriction " ? Im in the same boat!

For the 65,536th time..... you need to ask your issuing authority what the restriction means. Nothing else matters as they have the ability to determine that. If you're too lazy to find out what it means, then I would go with M1911's advice. Basically, the issuing authority never wants to find out you were carrying a loaded gun.

-Mike

I think we are all missing something very important. what is the definition of "RESTRICTION"
a : a regulation that restricts or restrains

b : a limitation on the use or enjoyment of property or a facility
Those are a couple of definitions from websters dictionary. That being said if I am being restricted from target and hunting does that mean I cannot hunt or target shoot with those restrictions imposed on a permit that by state statute (with class A permit) allow concealed carry. With all the clubs offering 24/7 access you could be on your way to or from the range at any time of the day or night. And there is nothing to say that you were not on your way home from the range at a friends house that lives hours away from you. traveling to and from is pretty broad It can be anything you say it is. If you are carrying concealed there should never be an issue anyway.

With all the clubs offering 24/7 access you could be on your way to or from the range at any time of the day or night. And there is nothing to say that you were not on your way home from the range at a friends house that lives hours away from you. traveling to and from is pretty broad
Good luck convincing your licensing officer of that.

the stats dont matter! ITS NOT FVCKING LEGAL!!! WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!?!?!?

reading comprehension escapes you. as does critical reasoning.

dude: I would like to see where in the MGL it states that CCW is illegal. A Class A Permit clearly states that CCW is Allowed unless restricted by issuing authority, If the issuing authority did not want concealed carry they would place that as a restriction. OR issue a class B permit.

Back
Top Bottom