• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass. LTC question

The short answer is no, NICS is only available to FFLs. The long answer is, they check the same databases that NICS pulls data from (and sometimes more, like incident reports from town PDs that don't result in arrest and thus don't end up in any state/national databases), but it's a manual process.

Except that some people manage to get an LTC and then go out and they immediately get a delay or a deny for some reason... I'd say a NICS check is worse because they must use some kind of weird imperfect heuristic engine to flag people. It is too bad the "how it works" stuff doesn't seem to be available to the
public and is a black box. The whole thing being a black box is obnoxious, but I could rant for a page about that...

-Mike
Not a complete answer by any means, but... National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) — FBI

When an FFL initiates a NICS transaction, a name check is conducted to search three national databases for possible matches. These databases are the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which contains information on wanted persons, protection orders, and other persons identified as relevant to the NICS searches; the Interstate Identification Index (III), which accesses criminal history records; and the NICS Indices, formerly known as the NICS Index, which contains information on prohibited persons as defined in the Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended. The NICS Indices includes individuals who have been determined to be federally or state prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm when disqualifying information may not be available through the NCIC or III databases.

Over 70 percent of NICS transactions handled by the FBI result in no descriptive matches or hits to the potential transferee against information contained in the three national databases. In these instances, the FFL is advised to proceed with the transfer. If, however, there are any potentially prohibiting records returned, the FBI must undertake a manual review to determine if the record demonstrates a prohibition to firearms possession. There are three possible outcomes from this review: proceed (i.e., the record does not establish a prohibition and the transaction can proceed), deny (i.e., the record demonstrates a firearms prohibition), or delay. A delay response indicates the information supplied by the prospective firearm transferee has matched a record searched by the NICS and requires additional research before a final determination can be made. Following a delay decision, if the transaction is not resolved within the allowed three-business-day time frame, it is at the discretion of the FFL whether to transfer the firearm. However, the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division NICS Program continues to work on the case in an effort to resolve it. When additional information is required on a matching record but cannot be found, the transaction remains open until either the information is provided or 88 days have passed.​

Over 70 percent of NICS transactions handled by the FBI result in no descriptive matches or hits to the potential transferee against information contained in the three national databases. In these instances, the FFL is advised to proceed with the transfer. If, however, there are any sorta kinda, possibly maybe, potentially prohibiting records returned, the FBI must undertake a half-assed, minimal effort manual review to determine if the record demonstrates a prohibition to firearms possession. There are three possible outcomes from this review: proceed (i.e., the record does not establish a prohibition and the transaction can proceed), deny (i.e., the record demonstrates a firearms prohibition, or our f***ing "higher level" examiner is too lazy to do additional research or isn't provided with enough tools or access to do so), or delay. A delay response indicates the information supplied by the prospective firearm transferee has matched a record searched by the NICS and requires additional research because NICS is either understaffed, or too lazy to do it, before a final determination can be made. Following a delay decision, if the transaction is not resolved within the allowed three-business-day time frame, it is at the discretion of the FFL whether to transfer the firearm. However, the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division NICS Program continues to work on the case in an effort to resolve it. When additional information is required on a matching record but cannot be found (because we're lazy and we suck, so we place the burden on you, the citizen) the transaction remains open until either the information is provided or 88 days have passed.​

Yes, but I have creatively edited the above to reflect reality... [rofl]

This is not the preferred way to apply, according to most Licensing Officers:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A56U0Mu9_6Y

One funny side note: the Roundboy in the back of the video is/was the Metrowest Daily News Police beat reporter. [laugh]

I know what he was thinking. "I wonder if they need all that bacon for the court or if I could just stuff some in my pockets right now. I got some pancakes in my cargo pants that would go perfect with that."

images

Except that some people manage to get an LTC and then go out and they immediately get a delay or a deny for some reason... I'd say a NICS check is worse because they must use some kind of weird imperfect heuristic engine to flag people. It is too bad the "how it works" stuff doesn't seem to be available to the public and is a black box.
(The following may (may) have been authoritatively refuted elsewhere on NES, but)
I can imagine some of those needless Delays happening
when an applicant includes their SS on their LTC application,
but then omits it from the 4473, Because Privacy.

If their mere name matches a prohibited person's
but their SSN totally disambiguates the situation,
then they'd get Proceed if they include the SSN
on the 4473, and perhaps Delay if they omit it.

PSGWSP.
=====

And OBTW, did the Brain Trust at ATF really spell "Optional"
as "Optimal" on the official 4473 of Oct'16?

Back
Top Bottom