Mass LTC holder transporting in Maine

Im a Mass LTC holder and was curious about transporting in Maine. My fiances cousin lives in Maine and we visit them often.He keeps telling me to bring up my guns to Maine to shoot on his property(52 acres). Do I need a non res permit to bring long guns or a handgun up to his property to shoot? Or can I just lock them and transport them ?
thanks in advance tried searching and didnt find much.

Lock them up and transport them.

From the Maine Firearms Regulations

Loaded firearms in motor vehicles

It is unlawful to have a loaded firearm or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle (including trailer, ATV, aircraft, snowmobile, or railway car). A loaded clip may be carried in a motor vehicle, but it must not be inserted in a firearm. Persons who hold a Maine concealed firearms permit may carry a loaded pistol or revolver in a motor vehicle. Firearms may be transported in a motor vehicle without a concealed firearms permit provided they are (1) unloaded and in plain view, or (2) are unloaded and placed in a remote secure area (such as a locked trunk) away from the control of the occupants of the motor vehicle. For purposes of this law, a muzzleloading firearm is considered to be loaded only if charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism. This provision also applies to crossbows.

I don't know but I would think that you have to figure NH (and maybe VT) laws into this as you will need to go through one (or both of them) 1st.

As is obvious, for security purposes, traveling long distances they should be cased, locked and out of view. But for travel within ME, guns just have to be unloaded when in a car on the public way. You can go to a range with long guns uncased on the seat next to you and the ammo laying right next to it. I have traveled on 95 and went through toll booths in this manner with out a problem. To make things simple, if I had planned on buying those two long guns I would have had then cased and behind the seat of my pick up. But I bought them unplanned while in the southern part of ME and did not have cases to keep them from getting damaged so they sat next to me in my truck. I expected that I would get pulled over and checked out but the toll booth people was not phased at all.

For hand guns, the law might seem odd to people coming from restrictive states. It is perfectly legal to have an unloaded pistol in plain view on the seat next to you or even your dash board. If you put it in an unlocked case next to you then you are in violation of the law as it will be considered concealed. If concealed it needs to be not on your person or near your person.

The link provided above is not, in my opinion, correct as to the law. The e-regulations website also does not appear to be a Maine government web site. The link and quote makes it appear that by law, if a gun is concealed it needs to be in a trunk or some other secure place. Maine law does not say that.

There are two seperate laws concerning having a gun in a motor vehicle. The first is unique to a motor vehicle and states that the gun must be unloaded (CCW excepted). The second is the concealed gun law which is applicable anywhere, not just in a car.

That law states: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2001-A.html

§2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon

1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:
A. ...
B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.

Cased and in the back seat or behind the seat in a pick up has always met this definition. The e-regulation web site seems to creep the law further than it needs to be when it states it needs to be in a "remote and secure" area.

So it looks like carrying in the car is ok provided the gun is visible and unloaded, or locked in a case in the trunk. I know "concealed is concealed", but what about OC in Maine as a Mass resident? Do I OC? I have a retention holster, so I'm not worried in that respect, and if I'm legal to OC I don't really give a crap if a sheep bleats and I get questioned by a cop. If I'm legal, I'm legal. I'll have the chat, and be on my way. Yeah, I won't LIKE it, but I'd rather have the chat than get accidentally outed CC'ing and then arrested.

Basically, I'm going camping in Saco, and spending time at Old Orchard Beach, and want to know how to carry legally. At the campground I'll OC and not worry, just wondering how to handle it ag the beach...

So it looks like carrying in the car is ok provided the gun is visible and unloaded

Correct.

... or locked in a case in the trunk.
It does not have to be in the trunk. If it is locked, then on the seat right next to you is acceptable. Once in a case, then it is concealed. If it is concealed, then it needs to be not accessible. That is the key to putting it in a case. In ME it is a little bit the opposite of MA. It does not have to be cased. But if you case it, then it needs to be not accessible which means the case needs to be not "about the person's person" which is understood to be with in easy reach. So, cased and in the back seat is fine. Cased and locked next to you is fine. Uncased and next to you is fine. If you have a CCW, then concealed and loaded in a case in fine.

The written law is as stated above. While "wear under the person's cloths" is pretty clear. The gray areas are not to my knowledge defined by case law. In fact, I do not believe there is much case law defining "about the person's person". So, in my opinion, a gun unloaded and in the bottom of you back pack which is zippered shut is legal as well. The key is it cannot be "about the person's person" and concealed. If you want to play it safe, then avoid the grey areas and either have it open or locked or in the trunk.

I know "concealed is concealed", but what about OC in Maine as a Mass resident? Do I OC?
There is no law restricting OC in ME. There is nothing written. Since there is nothing written then it is not illegal. Since there is nothing written, there is no distinction between ME residents and non residents. Since there is nothing written, there is no distinction about how it is openly carried. (which is why it is legal on the seat next to you unconcealed). I think the hard part for MA residents to grasp up here in ME is that there is a lack of written law concerning guns. While there is no law concerning OC in ME, there is a law that states a person may not "display in a threatening manner" a firearm. What manner it is acceptable to openly carry a firearm is about how it is displayed. In a holster on your belt is not threatening. And as stated above, I am not aware of a plethora of case law defining the grey areas of what is threatening other than the obvious like walking down the street waving a gun around.

I have a retention holster, so I'm not worried in that respect, and if I'm legal to OC I don't really give a crap if a sheep bleats and I get questioned by a cop. If I'm legal, I'm legal. I'll have the chat, and be on my way. Yeah, I won't LIKE it, but I'd rather have the chat than get accidentally outed CC'ing and then arrested.

Basically, I'm going camping in Saco, and spending time at Old Orchard Beach, and want to know how to carry legally. At the campground I'll OC and not worry, just wondering how to handle it ag the beach...

Is the camp ground private property? If so, the owner of the property may not allow you to open carry or even have guns. The Maine Mall has written on their sign going into the mall a rule that states no guns allowed. This rule is NOT enforced by law. But if they see you OC and ask you to leave and you do not, you can be arrested for trespassing. It will not be a violation of any gun law but rather one of the trespassing law.

By the way, the satements I have made are an expression of opinion only. I am not a lawyer and my advice is worth what you paid for it. I have referenced the law and provided links. It is up to each individual to read the law and understand what it means. What I have expressed is my personal understanding of the law.

Last edited:
Correct.

It does not have to be in the trunk. If it is locked, then on the seat right next to you is acceptable. Once in a case, then it is concealed. If it is concealed, then it needs to be not accessible. That is the key to putting it in a case. In ME it is a little bit the opposite of MA. It does not have to be cased. But if you case it, then it needs to be not accessible which means the case needs to be not "about the person's person" which is understood to be with in easy reach. So, cased and in the back seat is fine. Cased and locked next to you is fine. Uncased and next to you is fine. If you have a CCW, then concealed and loaded in a case in fine.

The written law is as stated above. While "wear under the person's cloths" is pretty clear. The gray areas are not to my knowledge defined by case law. In fact, I do not believe there is much case law defining "about the person's person". So, in my opinion, a gun unloaded and in the bottom of you back pack which is zippered shut is legal as well. The key is it cannot be "about the person's person" and concealed. If you want to play it safe, then avoid the grey areas and either have it open or locked or in the trunk.

There is no law restricting OC in ME. There is nothing written. Since there is nothing written then it is not illegal. Since there is nothing written, there is no distinction between ME residents and non residents. Since there is nothing written, there is no distinction about how it is openly carried. (which is why it is legal on the seat next to you unconcealed). I think the hard part for MA residents to grasp up here in ME is that there is a lack of written law concerning guns. While there is no law concerning OC in ME, there is a law that states a person may not "display in a threatening manner" a firearm. What manner it is acceptable to openly carry a firearm is about how it is displayed. In a holster on your belt is not threatening. And as stated above, I am not aware of a plethora of case law defining the grey areas of what is threatening other than the obvious like walking down the street waving a gun around.

Is the camp ground private property? If so, the owner of the property may not allow you to open carry or even have guns. The Maine Mall has written on their sign going into the mall a rule that states no guns allowed. This rule is NOT enforced by law. But if they see you OC and ask you to leave and you do not, you can be arrested for trespassing. It will not be a violation of any gun law but rather one of the trespassing law.

So with all this talk of cases, it sounds like cased UNLOCKED next to you is a bad idea.....am I getting that right??

Maine law does not have a big list of specific actions that are legal and what is not.

I have listed the laws and gave my interpretation. In my interpretation, putting the gun in an unlocked case conceals the gun. Putting that case within reach of your person on the seat next to you makes it "about your person's person.". So, yes, having a gun in an unlocked case next you is violates the law.

Back
Top Bottom