• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass. LTC Class A-All Lawful Purposes licensees

Hey everyone,

Ashland, Ma. should be green. No hassles with getting the LTC-A, and both of the "gun safety" officers have been helpful in answering my questions pre and post license.

matt said:
Winchendon does not issue ALP unless you have "cause". If you need to carry for work, they will specify "going to/from work and at work".

That said, I am still waiting for my permit. I'm hoping against hope...

That must be because of all the high crime in Winchendon.... [thinking]

Barnstable is green. They were nice, but it took more then 90 days (95). They kept giving the excuse that they had to "wait for paper work from the state". A firearm lawyer told me this was BS.

I kept calling every day and eventually got it. They were nice about it, but I did sweat the possiblity of a GOAL application, knowing 90 days was the limit.

derek said:
That must be because of all the high crime in Winchendon.... [thinking]

The Sergeant actually told me that he was revoking FID's on people for disorderly conduct, which he apparently doesn't have the authority to do since they are not discretionary.

He told me he was hoping to get challenged on it in court so that he could drive it through at the state level. He's not just anti. He's a crusader!

Matt

matt said:
The Sergeant actually told me that he was revoking FID's on people for disorderly conduct, which he apparently doesn't have the authority to do since they are not discretionary.

He told me he was hoping to get challenged on it in court so that he could drive it through at the state level. He's not just anti. He's a crusader!

Matt

The guy is the head of a department in the sticks with a town population of 9,600, in which 95% are white. He sounds like a real winner. [rofl]

derek said:
The guy is the head of a department in the sticks with a town population of 9,600, in which 95% are white. He sounds like a real winner. [rofl]

And the whole time I was in doing the aplication he complained about what a burden it was to him and how he didn't have to do it, but volunteered.

There is a search on for a new Chief (last one retired and we have an interum now). At least some of the people on the search committee are using this issue as a litmus test: They WANT a Chief who will issue ALP!

Framingham: Green for me, but I hear it's not always easy
Wayland: I hear green
Watertown: forget it
Burlington: forget it

My last two renewals were in Amesbury; Class A LTC ALP no problems. I had a nice chat with the Firearms Officer, a cup of coffee; overall, a pleasant experience. Prior to that I renewed in Gloucester - great experience; of course it was about 12 years ago so it would not surprise me if things have changed there :)

Brookline said hell no to ALP, but they were perfectly happy to issue a hunting/target if you took the course.

Framingham was where I got my ALP, BUT, I had a stack of training paperwork, including Sig Academy courses to back it up, and I went in there clear that I wasn't going to back down.

Watertown basically did eveyrthing in their power to even prevent me from RENEWING my 8 year old ALP!

I ended up moving to Scituate, where they were wary of issuing an ALP, but he did it seeing as it was a renewal, and I spent a good half hour talking to the issuing guy (who is a bit of a computer guy) and chatting.

I would have called Scituate grey or green, if you're an upstanding guy with credentials, or renewing one you've had for a long time. I'm surprised to see it marked red. I must be one of the few holding a scituate ALP!

"Brookline said hell no to ALP, but they were perfectly happy to issue a hunting/target if you took the course."

By "the course," I presume you mean the blatantly illegal "course" Brookline imposes as a requirement; not the statutory safety course. Newton also pulls that BS.

Brookline also "requires" a moronic signed "contract" regarding the transportation of guns, a subject already covered in detail by statute.

People put up with this crap, so PDs keep demanding it, and then some more....

Scrivener said:
"Brookline said hell no to ALP, but they were perfectly happy to issue a hunting/target if you took the course."

By "the course," I presume you mean the blatantly illegal "course" Brookline imposes as a requirement; not the statutory safety course. Newton also pulls that BS.

Brookline also "requires" a moronic signed "contract" regarding the transportation of guns, a subject already covered in detail by statute.

People put up with this crap, so PDs keep demanding it, and then some more....

I didn't have to sign any contract, but this was a few years ago. I also didn't have to take any fancy course, but I did choose to take a good one offered by the MBTA cops.

Nickle said:
Damn, IIRC, Melrose is fairly close to Boston. I've got an aunt in Malden, and isn't Melrose almost next town over?
Nickle- yes and yes [wink] We're not all bad in the metro Boston area. Arlington is shall issue, also. Too bad I got my LTC in Somerville...[frown]

Saugus is gray now but def should be green. The LT. over here is a great guy. Mine took a lil over 2 months because they got my birthdate wrong. But i finally did get my Class A LTC with no restrictions. I know Bloodhound can agree with me on this one becuase we are both from the same town.

Lieutenant (sp?) coogan is one of the most down to earth LEO's ive ever met...i called him on my bday...june 4th...and met with him, and got my license on june 27th...so i can back up what bigrich says...even though hes blonde and his ltc lists his hair color as strawberry hahaha

SiameseRat said:
Nickle- yes and yes [wink] We're not all bad in the metro Boston area. Arlington is shall issue, also. Too bad I got my LTC in Somerville...[frown]

Except they are (or were) a DRY town!

Melrose was GREEN when I first applied. I renewed in Leominster - it was GREENER. A couple of others posted at Packing.org with the same Leominster experience.

Yep, when you walk into the LEominster PD nervously to apply for your LTC after all you've heard about the experience, and the first thing they do is hand you a coupon for 10% off ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods, you know you're not in Mass anymore....

Watertown

As mentioned, but confirmed here... Watertown is as RED or BLACK, or whatever you can get for ALP. Even for a retired LEO. More hoops than a dog show.

Absolutely NOT except for three of their own criteria - which I didn't have. Showing a "DIRE NEED" was mandatory. TO which I replied, if I have a dire need, its too late.

No comment. I got my LTC w/restrictions for target shooting.

Fortunately, I have my Federal LTC under the LEOSA 2004.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom