MASS LTC-ALP, purchase ammo in neighboring state and bring it back into MA

i searched the forums, many variants but 5 pages of info not exactly pertaining to me.

i am a mass resident with mass LTC, no restrictions. can i purchase ammo in maine, at lets say cabelas, and bring it back into MA? stored in truck and locked.

i do NOT possess a maine license for firearms.

Thanks!

You can do it, if you have money.

I've heard that some border stores will check you for Mass paper if they think you're from Mass., but AFAIK there's no license required for ammo purchases in NH or ME.

Also there's no "locked " requirement for ammo trasport in Mass.

Yes, you can purchase ammunition in ME (or almost any other state) and bring it back to MA (I believe only IL and MA require a license to purchase ammo).

And as MisterHappy said, ammo storage/transport in a vehicle is unregulated in MA.

Every time I buy ammo in NH, they immediately ask to see my MA LTC. I keep wondering how they know I am from MA just by looking at me. I'm not even a native.

You do not need a license to purchase ammo outside of MA, at least not in any of the 45+ other more normal states. There's no "lock it up" requirement, either.

Walmart in NH may ask for an LTC/FID on an MA person, but that's a policy, not law. MFL and possibly one or two other gun shops in NH may have a similar policy, but it's not required by law.

-Mike

I have been asked for ID at the Salem NH Wally World (Wal-Mart) almost every time I have purchased ammo but I have never been asked at a gun shop

And I am a NH resident

I have been asked for ID at the Salem NH Wally World (Wal-Mart) almost every time I have purchased ammo but I have never been asked at a gun shop

And I am a NH resident

Same here for the Epping walmart. Asked the guy why he asked me for my ID. He said to make sure I was old enough. I guess being 33 and having grays doesn't constitute being older than 18 ( was buying .223 to try out in the AR).

There's no problem buying ammo out of state and bringing it back. I've never been asked at Cabela's in Maine for any ID. You just buy it...as it should be. KTP will probably check you because they tend to be overly cautious. There is no lockup requirement, the only license Maine has is conceal carry, but it's only for that, locals don't need anything to buy ammo or guns other than a drivers license.

If you see something you like......for a long gun there you will need to show your LTC/FID, but there is on MA paperwork, just federal.....when you bring it over, you have to file FA-10 within 7 days. Long guns must also be MA AWB compliant. Handguns need to be sent to a local FFL and transferred.

Last edited:
Here is some clarity: Each state in the union has its own laws about ammo purchase. When in a state, you must abide by that state's ammo purchase laws. No state has the ability to make law that governs behavior in another state. Therefore, Texas laws do not apply when in Massachusetts and likewise Massachusetts laws do not apply when in Ohio, etc., etc.

In terms of bringing an item into Massachusetts from another state, certain items are illegal to possess in MA, such as any of the guns defined as assault weapons, or hi cap magazines manufactured after the cut-off date. It may be perfectly legal to purchase and possess those items in another state, but once you possess them in MA you a re breaking MA law. Leaving aside commercial/dealer issues, if you are legally allowed to possess ammo in MA, then the ammo's origin is of no consequence.

ok, so.... a shop owner just told me that i couldn't split the ammo my cousin (an RI resident) just bought and bring my half into MA, he pulled out some letter he'd gotten from EOPS, where supposedly i'd be "importing ammo into the state without a license" and apparently that's a felony...

had he just read the thing wrong? would that be the case if i were to try and sell the stuff to other people?

(i realize cops and gun shop owners are the worst places to get legal advice, second only to forum members and lawyers...)

ok, so.... a shop owner just told me that i couldn't split the ammo my cousin (an RI resident) just bought and bring my half into MA, he pulled out some letter he'd gotten from EOPS, where supposedly i'd be "importing ammo into the state without a license" and apparently that's a felony...

had he just read the thing wrong? would that be the case if i were to try and sell the stuff to other people?

(i realize cops and gun shop owners are the worst places to get legal advice, second only to forum members and lawyers...)

Did you read the letter?

Now ya see.....why does the shop owner even know this to begin with? Go into the store, keep your damn mouth shut, buy the ammo and go the hell home.

All bets are off if you were wearing your "I have a MA LTC-A" button.

If this was a Mass. FFL you told after the fact, he was probably upset that you bought the ammo from someone other than him. No that's not a felony.

would that be the case if i were to try and sell the stuff to other people?

Sort of. To legally sell ammo in Mass. you need a license to sell ammo, an FID or LTC isn't enough to legally sell it. It's a misdemeanor charge, but if convicted you're barred for life from getting an LTC, and for 5 years from an FID.

Every time I buy ammo in NH, they immediately ask to see my MA LTC. I keep wondering how they know I am from MA just by looking at me.
When the cashier sees you walk into the store,
they can't believe their eye.
mike-wazowski_1440_preview_featured.jpg

Back
Top Bottom