• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass killings rising year after year - yet still no noteworthy legislation taken

Why does everyone think it's government's job to "do something?" They can make and pass all the laws they want. Psychos intent on committing acts of mayhem, who plan on dying in a hail of gun fire, are not dissuaded by laws.
Because nobody likes to take responsibility for their own actions.

Why does everyone think it's government's job to "do something?" They can make and pass all the laws they want. Psychos intent on committing acts of mayhem, who plan on dying in a hail of gun fire, are not dissuaded by laws.
these are just little “stirring the pot” threads to generate some activity on a Monday - no one posting to this actually thinks that anything can be / needs to be done

Just fun thought experiments to see who will rise to the bait

no mental health legislation, no gun law action.
Ehh. Mental health!? So a medical illness is "health"?! Is the obesity problem called "obesity health"? This trope has destroyed our country's mental treatment facilities and research over the past 50 years. Your statement is what anti-gunners like to do: conflate the two things to imply that gun confiscation can fix mental illness.

Also, what does mental illness have ANYTHING to do with the fundamental human right to life?! Each human has a right to life! If that life is threatened, they can defend themselves, be it a poisonous snake, a falling tree, or a psychopath with a weapon. Laws DO NOT give us this right: it is what makes us human. So far, the ONLY thing the gun laws have done is destroy our autonomy, our right to life, and our ability to defend our lives.

hating this country more and more.
Then move! I hear Serbia just ordered the confiscation of firearms. The same firearms that Serbians acquired when they realized they need to fight off a genocidal government like the one led by Slobodan Milosevic in the 1990s. Perhaps you will enjoy being led to slaughter by the Serbian military(I was just following orders) too happy to kill unarmed citizens.

Im pro stopping mentally handicapped psychopaths from obtaining guns.
Here is my hot take. If you stop the mentally unstable/insane from getting guns, are they magically not going to kill people now? Nope, they will use something else, probably explosives.

Here is my hot take. If you stop the mentally unstable/insane from getting guns, are they magically not going to kill people now? Nope, they will use something else, probably explosives.
So we need to ban assault trucks. Why does anyone need lifted diesels to putter around to your local yoga studio? Nissan Leafs are all you need.

but I’ll still sit back, drink my bev, and watch this country burn.

mothers, fathers, daughters, sons dying.

no mental health legislation, no gun law action.

hating this country more and more.

Stop drinking your beverage and do some research.

.1 "There is no single, agreed upon definition of a mass killing."

This is a difficult question to answer because there is no single, agreed-upon definition of the term “mass shooting.” Definitions can vary depending on factors including the number of victims and the circumstances of the shooting. Regardless of the definition being used, fatalities in mass shooting incidents in the U.S. account for a small fraction of all gun murders that occur nationwide each year.

2. When population growth is factored in, gun deaths and murders per capita were lower in 2021 than in 1974.

On a per capita basis, there were 14.6 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2021 – the highest rate since the early 1990s, but still well below the peak of 16.3 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 1974. The gun murder rate in the U.S. remains below its peak level despite rising sharply during the pandemic. There were 6.7 gun murders per 100,000 people in 2021, below the 7.2 recorded in 1974.

OP in this thread after dumping a post-

baby-run-omg.gif

Isn't everybody? But the devil is in the details. How do you do this without violating the rights of those who aren't dangerous psychopaths? How do you tell one from the other?

Enlighten us, give details, show us how it can be done. I know I'll enjoy the conversation.

right, and i would add - let`s just incarcerate everybody.
all the evil in the world is from too much freedom - put them all damn people into one big gulag, and it will finally be a peace on earth.

Back
Top Bottom