• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass hunter found dead

Went hiking (err a walk) in the Douglas state forest, my ex got freaked out after 20 min when the trail disappeared.

I’m like, ummm the water was on our left going in, it’s on our right coming out. And if we actually get lost there is a road probably within 1 mile in any direction.

She grew up in queens nyc. More than once she had issues hiking.

Some people are not good I’m the woods.

Im not monday morning QBing here.....but a few things I always do now that I'm in my 50's and no longer bulletproof.

If I have cell service I snap a pic of my location on ON X and send that to my wife.

If I don't I tell her where I will be going at the very least, this is not that often now with technology.

I always carry a compass and GPS and phone, have a general idea of the roads/map of the area. Even when I know exactly
where i am, I practice a few times taking bearing back out, and make sure my phone, my gps, and my compass all match that bearing.
Id say this is where guys go wrong, they don't practice with their stuff. I can only get so far with a compass....it will get me to a road, but if I'm moving around alot
its not going to get me right to my truck. That's where I like the GPS.....I can get a distance, that said, I still may have to go around shit like a swamp.

Im in a big block of woods like alot. I will drive all the roads around (off season or whenever convient) and put some locations of road points in.
So for instance if Im walking deep, and its getting dark and I'm closer to one of my road waypoints......i can go there. This was an old practice, with
todays more accurate gps maps, and google maps most roads, and even trails are in view now.

I carry plenty of stuff to start a fire. Starting a fire around here is not that easy if shit is wet. I also carry a few of those emergency blankets in case I get wet.
They pack down pretty small. Carrying a small tarp to cover yourself is also not a bad idea. Also a basic survival kit, water filter, first aid kit, some of that bendable
wire rope so you can make a shelter if you need to.

The reality is, many people panic when lost, and if you have not taken some things with you and have bad weather, you can get in trouble pretty quick. If you have a survival kit,
you can sit down, relax and see what you have and try and think rationally rather than panic.

Last edited:
Especially dragging a deer out
This one is funny. Know your limitations.

I don't hunt some of my real deep spots anymore because dragging a deer out that far at my age.....no thanks. The walk in and out of those places itself was bad enough.

The fruits of shooting a bunch of nice big bucks in my early years.....has me saying its not worth dragging a deer for over a mile ever anymore.

This one is funny. Know your limitations.

I don't hunt some of my real deep spots anymore because dragging a deer out that far at my age.....no thanks. The walk in and out of those places itself was bad enough.

The fruits of shooting a bunch of nice big bucks in my early years.....has me saying its not worth dragging a deer for over a mile ever anymore.

When you feel like it’s time to show a younger guy those spots, let me know. 😂

Navigation and illumination are critical. Have a plan for them and then have a backup plan if they fail. Make sure you can hit your marks. A compass will point you in a direction, but it doesn't tell you where you are on the land. He would probably still be with us if he had a GPS.

...and check the weather before you head out. Know what you're in for and be prepared for changing conditions. That one seems like a no-brainer...

Last edited:
Does anyone carry a compass or GPS anymore? Jack.
Knowing how to navigate using a compass and topo map is an invaluable (but dying) skill however these days knowing how to use a decent, inexpensive GPS will keep you out of trouble. Having a topo lets you read the terrain before you get there so you know what's ahead of you, be it a swamp, bog, etc... that might not be a good route to travel.

Always plan and equip yourself to spend a couple of nights in the woods. Proper clothing, fire making equipment, cordage, food, water AND KNOWLEDGE.

If you're going to use a GPS/phone for navigation, be sure to know how to calibrate it. And do it often.

On an afternoon hunt during muzzle loader season, I planned to do a quick still hunt and not stray too far from well-established trails. There was a foot and a half of fresh powder on the ground, with overcast skies and a light snowfall. Late in the afternoon I spotted a deer and decided to stalk it. With the fresh snow, it was easy to spot my tracks if I needed to back out. I managed to cut in front of that deer but was not afforded a clear shot. I had a good idea where I was and decided to hike straight out to where the trail was. I got to the top of the ridge I aimed for, but it wasn't the ridge I was looking for. No problem, I'll back track. With the fading light and falling snow, it was getting tougher to follow my tracks. It was getting dark now, so I grabbed my phone and used it to navigate towards the nearest trail. Now I'm hiking blind, with only the phone and my headlamp to guide me. I come across my recent tracks, which I shouldn't have. Something was wacky. My phone's GPS was pointing me 180° off course. After calibrating the phone's GPS, I was back on track.

What was going to be a short hike ended up being a couple of miles longer than anticipated and ended with a long hike in the dark. I wasn't carrying much at all with me. This is an area where you can go 6 miles straight and not hit a roadway. I knew where I was, but each ridge began to look alike. Now I carry a pack with essentials, no matter what.

Last edited:
If you're going to use a GPS/phone for navigation, be sure to know how to calibrate it. And do it often.

On an afternoon hunt during muzzle loader season, I planned to do a quick still hunt and not stray too far from well-established trails. There was a foot and a half of fresh powder on the ground, with overcast skies and a light snowfall. Late in the afternoon I spotted a deer and decided to stalk it. With the fresh snow, it was easy to spot my tracks if I needed to back out. I managed to cut in front of that deer but was not afforded a clear shot. I had a good idea where I was and decided to hike straight out to where the trail was. I got to the top of the ridge I aimed for, but it wasn't the ridge I was looking for. No problem, I'll back track. With the fading light and falling snow, it was getting tougher to follow my tracks. It was getting dark now, so I grabbed my phone and used it to navigate towards the nearest trail. Now I'm hiking blind, with only the phone and my headlamp to guide me. I come across my recent tracks, which I shouldn't have. Something was wacky. My phone's GPS was pointing me 180° off course. After calibrating the phone's GPS, I was back on track.

What was going to be a short hike ended up being a couple of miles longer than anticipated and ended with a long hike in the dark. I wasn't carrying much at all with me. This is an area where you can go 6 miles straight and not hit a roadway. I knew where I was, but each ridge looked began to look alike. Now I carry a pack with essentials, no matter what.

Now imagine those same conditions in northern Maine where you can't see the sky very well in the daytime and can walk for 3 days without coming across a roadway and the temps near zero.[thumbsup]

Always equip for the worst of the worst conditions no matter where you go into the wild.

I carry a pack with a small survival kit that I picked up from Amazon when I am out in the big woods. This is the kit I have I’ve added a lot of things to it quick clot, TQ, Israeli bandage and some essential medicines, water filter and purification tablets/and an MRE.

I also keep one in the car equipped the same way. You never know.

Amazon product ASIN B07BC66HQ1View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC66HQ1/?coliid=I36F2ZYVMOV5IK&colid=314YDKC81FI3E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Throw in some Mylar blankets too.

Don't have to get lost or have a medical to die in the woods. My sister rented her cottage on PI to some bow hunters. One of the hunters fell out of his tree stand and broke his neck and died, he had been drinking to keep warm, or so the story went. Hunter 0-deer 1.

Seeing as how it was real windy that day, I wonder if a widow maker took him out? I always hated being under the canopy with 40 - 50 MPH winds blowing around.
Most likely hypothermia given the heavy rains and temps. If he was dressed for the daytime weather he didn't stand a chance. It was nasty here.

Last edited:
Most likely hypothermia given the heavy rains and temps. If he was dressed for the daytime weather he didn't stay a chance. It was nasty here.
This......once you get wet than it gets windy and colder your fxcked unless you can dry out. Most people don't wear wool anymore which cam help that.

So if you can't get a fire going your in trouble.

Don't have to get lost or have a medical to die in the woods. My sister rented her cottage on PI to some bow hunters. One of the hunters fell out of his tree stand and broke his neck and died, he had been drinking to keep warm, or so the story went. Hunter 0-deer 1.
This is why I always try and give my wife a pin on OnX of where my stands are.

Falling is very unlikely because I'm usually tied in from top to bottom, and setup with a madrock safeguard to repel down if I had to, but shit happens.

This......once you get wet than it gets windy and colder your fxcked unless you can dry out. Most people don't wear wool anymore which cam help that.

So if you can't get a fire going your in trouble.
100% hypothermia can set in at 50 degrees if wet. I honestly don't know how you would have been able to get a fire going even if prepared. It had been horizontal rains for most of the afternoon to early evening. Everything was soaked. Just really unfortunate conditions to be out and lost in.

Im not monday morning QBing here.....but a few things I always do now that I'm in my 50's and no longer bulletproof.

If I have cell service I snap a pic of my location on ON X and send that to my wife.

If I don't I tell her where I will be going at the very least, this is not that often now with technology.

I always carry a compass and GPS and phone, have a general idea of the roads/map of the area. Even when I know exactly
where i am, I practice a few times taking bearing back out, and make sure my phone, my gps, and my compass all match that bearing.
Id say this is where guys go wrong, they don't practice with their stuff. I can only get so far with a compass....it will get me to a road, but if I'm moving around alot
its not going to get me right to my truck. That's where I like the GPS.....I can get a distance, that said, I still may have to go around shit like a swamp.

Im in a big block of woods like alot. I will drive all the roads around (off season or whenever convient) and put some locations of road points in.
So for instance if Im walking deep, and its getting dark and I'm closer to one of my road waypoints......i can go there. This was an old practice, with
todays more accurate gps maps, and google maps most roads, and even trails are in view now.

I carry plenty of stuff to start a fire. Starting a fire around here is not that easy if shit is wet. I also carry a few of those emergency blankets in case I get wet.
They pack down pretty small. Carrying a small tarp to cover yourself is also not a bad idea. Also a basic survival kit, water filter, first aid kit, some of that bendable
wire rope so you can make a shelter if you need to.

The reality is, many people panic when lost, and if you have not taken some things with you and have bad weather, you can get in trouble pretty quick. If you have a survival kit,
you can sit down, relax and see what you have and try and think rationally rather than panic.
We pack the same. I’d add this. I never enter the big woods now without it. If all else fails you just use the big button on the side.
5323936C-6A4F-4C0C-979C-6936F557F710.jpeg

Most people don't wear wool anymore
I used to have the green wool Woolrich pants. Now I'm wondering if I should get some again. Those always were the warmest.

Some of the other posts mentioned bringing various things with such as food, water, fire starter. I imagine all this adds up, and you'd need a backpack to carry it all. Don't forget the rope to pull the deer out. A lot different than the old deer camps in Maine I'd hear about. The most they would have might be a thermos of coffee and some cigarettes, and of course a map and compass. A flashing beacon light would probably be helpful also. Most flashlights have a flashing or SOS mode now.

I've only been out deer hunting a few times, but it is generally not that deep into wilderness type of stuff, but more of a dirt road into wooded areas not all that far from roads. If I was up in the White Mountains, I'd certainly be prepared for "other outcomes". I even do that on good days for day hikes in the Summer. You never know, and a lighter, compass, flashlight, and space blanket are pretty minimal.

I always have a compass. But I generally use my on x hunt app to navigate. The compass is my backup in case my phone breaks or the battery dies.
I have to have all 3. Compass, GPS and Phone, there are spots where i have absolutely no phone reception.

I know you can go Offline with OnX, not all that good with that, but I should learn it....... but having the GPS is a third backup is my preference.

I used to have the green wool Woolrich pants. Now I'm wondering if I should get some again. Those always were the warmest.

Some of the other posts mentioned bringing various things with such as food, water, fire starter. I imagine all this adds up, and you'd need a backpack to carry it all. Don't forget the rope to pull the deer out. A lot different than the old deer camps in Maine I'd hear about. The most they would have might be a thermos of coffee and some cigarettes, and of course a map and compass. A flashing beacon light would probably be helpful also. Most flashlights have a flashing or SOS mode now.

I've only been out deer hunting a few times, but it is generally not that deep into wilderness type of stuff, but more of a dirt road into wooded areas not all that far from roads. If I was up in the White Mountains, I'd certainly be prepared for "other outcomes". I even do that on good days for day hikes in the Summer. You never know, and a lighter, compass, flashlight, and space blanket are pretty minimal.

Im guilty of not using wool anymore either....its heavy and I'm so used to lighter pants and stuff. I've been hunting in pants that take no time to dry out though, but they aren't that warm.

Its always a trade off........It does add up. I carry a large cabelas fanny pack with straps for chest and waist. It does a few things, leaves my back free for toting a tree stand (actually acts like a shelf to hold i), and if I just want to carry sticks I can stack 4 on and secure them horizontally that way. My other way was to carry stand and sticks and use the seat to hold up a regular pack secured to the stand. But I prefrer the lower center of gravity on the big fanny pack rig.

In shotgun season when Im not climbing I just use the fanny pack rig and without having to carry my saddle in the pack, its lighter and there is actually more room for stuff if I wanted. I can carry that thing all day and barely notice it. By the end of bowhunting season, I'm so used to carrying sticks and a stand, and saddle. The pack with nothing extra on it is like carrying nothing.

Normally where I hunt in mass along the CT boarder there is no cell signal. I am a FF in my town and carry a my small radio and can pick up the tower very quickly. But I also carry enough to make the night including a wool blanket, one of those army ones.
I cut it in half as I only need to keep me warm, I figured I could put pine needle branches down to lay on with a fire going. A bonus with the blanket is if its really cold I toss it over me while sitting in my climber and wrap my legs and chest area, helps to just add that one more layer and keeps the wind from getting in.

Small snack foods, like crackers or a chocolate bar can really boost your moral and energy along with water a few bottles. I get most don't want to drink water in the stand as they will have to get down and pee, but staying hydrated is key to energy. Plus getting down and moving around to find a spot to pee builds energy and warms you up.

RIP my fellow hunter.

RIP. Shouldn't have happened, if it wasn't a sudden medical event. He had a cell phone. My old low-feature iPhone includes both a GPS map of where you're standing and a compass. Before I carried a phone I always took a compass reading entering the woods and walked out on the reciprocal heading, even if it wasn't perfect.

As evidenced by some here, some revel in their Ludditicification. Me? I'll take as much tech as I can muster to get out safely.

I haven't read the story but I do know how easy it can be to get lost in an unfamiliar section of wood. I was hunting in NH with a friend of mine many years ago in some woods along Rt 106 in Laconia. I was not familiar with that section of woods and ended up getting turned around and damned lost. I was most definitely within a mile of Rt 106 but for about two hours I could not find my way out. I had nothing but my shotgun as we had just walked out the back of the shop where my buddy was working and intended to got out and come right back a couple of hours later. I was getting cold as it got dark but finally came to a cul de sac with some kids playing in it and they pointed me the way to Rt 16 and I was shocked how far away from the shop I had gotten. Even though I thought I had changed course a few times I had basically just walked parallel to Rt 106 the whole time. My friend could not understand how I had gotten so lost. That's the last time I went into the woods without a pack.

What about that family that got caught in Colorado 5-6 years ago. They trusted their GPS (see above - LOL) and went down some not-gonna-work roads in the Rockies. After 4 days the dad decides to hoof it out. They found his body, after a couple-days' hike a few hundred meters from the car. He was wandering around in a circle.

Back
Top Bottom