• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass. Hi-Power AR-15 Matches

Based on the Massachusetts 'compliance' laws for service rifles I'm wondering which ready-made AR-15 match rifle is the most popular in DCM competition. Or do most competitors build their own? I know RRA's are very popular elsewhere.

Most of the shooters I compete with including myself go the custom route. White Oak Armament is the predominant custom builder of uppers used around here N.E., there are others Compass Lake Engineering, Northern Competition, First Strike, Accuracy Speaks to name a few that do top shelf work. Most of the lower work, which is usually putting a new trigger in is fairly easy if you're handy. That's my advice, buy an upper, a complete lower and change the trigger unless you like what it has, add weight to suit and go shoot. RRA's and Bushmaster DCM's are good rifles though, I've seen some great scores shot with them. It comes down to money, you may spend a couple hundred more going custom but you'll have exactly what you want and have a competitive rifle with a quality barrel and a gunsmith that will support you if there's a problem.

I always loved beating people with a "cheap" rifle.

It is more about the shooter and less about the equipment. Get something you can afford (and still afford the other required equipment) and practice practice practice. Unless you really love it I wouldn't bother spending money on a custom rifle if you are just starting. Get your feet wet, see how you like it and go from there.

any competition oriented AR15 is easy to make MA compliant.

have to have an A2 stock anyways....check..no collapsible stock

no bayo lug? ok. no big deal, arent using it anyways on a heavy target gun

no flashhider? eh. doesnt affect me in the least. in fact, it makes barrels cheaper to replace (most manf's add ~ $15-25 to the cost of the barrel to thread it for a FH)....and muzzle brakes are not allowed via NRA or CMP rules

+1 to Tdeon221. RRA's shoot nice, as to Bushmasters (i have friends with both). try to get something with a 1:7 / 1:8 barrel, so you wont be limited with ammo when you start shooting out to 600 yards. the trigger can be BIG factor (it was for me, and i ended up with a Gieselle...which i LOVE).

if you're brand new to it, come out to a match. you'll usually find someone willing to set you up with a rifle / gear to try out (ideally, supply your own ammo, but most of us will help out a new shooter *we need advanced notice for extra ammo though!*)

There's a 50shot NMC President's Match Sunday October 11th at Reading Rifle, Reading MA. Come on out and check it out. Bring a chair and hearing/eye protection and watch. Firing should start at 9am. Squadding probably starts at 700-730. Fun stuff. A bad day shooting is always better than your best day at work. As for the equipment, I hate to see people spend the same money two or three times when they're getting into this game, and as you've probably researched it's steep to get into.

Tom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom