Mass guys with LTC's... do you carry .45 or 9mm?

Topic came up in a discussion about the .45 becoming obsolete over time and someone floated their theory that if a federal AWB happens again or mags over 10 rds get banned that people are going to abandon 9mm and go to .45's again like in the 90s. I don't think that's going to happen, but for you people who have had an AWB the past 27 years what are you guys still carrying like it's the 90s with the .45 or are you 9mm 4 Life?

Topic came up in a discussion about the .45 becoming obsolete over time and someone floated their theory that if a federal AWB happens again or mags over 10 rds get banned that people are going to abandon 9mm and go to .45's again like in the 90s. I don't think that's going to happen, but for you people who have had an AWB the past 27 years what are you guys still carrying like it's the 90s with the .45 or are you 9mm 4 Life?
I don’t give a single f*** about wether the AWB exists or not and I don’t let it influence my choices. I always thought that BS was stupid. Carry the guns that work best for you not get stuck in the weeds with caliber etc. I’ve carried 9, 40, 357 sig, 45, and even a few 10mm. Mostly 9mm now for the past several years.

I'm not there anymore, but I've always carried a 45. Springfield Mod.2 these days, but started with an xD45 I had when I moved there from AZ.

Bought and carried a Kahr k40 for a while when I wanted a compact and couldn't get a Springfield for non-r@pe prices.

Carried a Shield 9mm for 6 months when I needed a single stack because I was teaching computer classes for UMass Marlborough.

Aside from that, always a 45. Now, edc is the Mod.2, my nightstand gun is my original xD45 with a light, my around the house/yard/lawn mower gun is an E-series 1911 that in a shoulder rig. OC driving a lawn tractor with a 1911, fun times...

15 years or so carrying, probably 13+ a 45.

9mm in the pocket because it's so easy and most comfortable for me. But if they ever made a .45 that could fit in my pocket, hmm, what a little hand cannon that would be.

9mm ammunition has come a long was since the 90's. Advances in technology and manufacturing have narrowed the performance gap between 9mm, 40 and 45 considerably.
My daily carry is a 9mm but that is primarily based on the ergonomics of the gun. It's easy to carry and pretty accurate. When I can dress for it, or when I have to go someplace I feel is a "soft target", ( like a movie theater or church ), I like to carry a 1911 in 45. Mostly because at 150-200 feet I am confident that if I can see it, I can hit it.
Calibers are like hammers. You own several different types.
45 is like a 16oz framing hammer. Good for driving big nails into framing lumber. No one cares if it leaves a hammer mark.
9mm is like a 12oz roofing/siding hammer. An all around hammer and if you are worried about finish work you use a nail set with it.
357 is a small sledge hammer. 44 is a 16 pound sledge
380 is like a tack hammer. It's good for repairing your boyfriends high heels.

For starters.....there are more options than 45 and 9

J frame .38 always.

have a couple of classic 9 mm guns; browning hp, smith 39 and a glock 26 which is for for beach carry. do not care much for the 9mm round, mainly carry 45 acp, 45 colt, s&w governor, 10 mm and 40 s&w, 38 special and 357 mag

Like others it depends on what I'm wearing. Most of the time it's a Sig P365 (before that it was a XDS 45). Suit or shorts, Sig P238. Coat weather, Glock 22 or Sig P220. It's a wide range, but I carry what feels comfortable. I love 45, but the round count in a P365 (11) vs XDS (6) made it hard to carry a 45 sub compact.

This isn't a caliber war debate, I don't care if you're carrying .40 or .38 or .380, it's simply if you have LTC would you rather it be 9mm or .45?

My opinion is if a federal magazine capacity ban or AWB comes down people are not going to suddenly abandon their 9mm's for .45

in response to @fencer and his .380 comment, I have always avoided .380 due to a perceived lack of penetration/lethality

But if 9mm has improved we have to assume that .380 has too.

But I'm still not buying, 9mm ammo is widely available and in more grain sizes, +p, etc.

The funny thing is, in the south and southwest, where you do not have to factor in heavy winter clothing, jackets, sweaters, etc .380 seems to be the gun of choice.

This isn't a caliber war debate, I don't care if you're carrying .40 or .38 or .380, it's simply if you have LTC would you rather it be 9mm or .45?

My opinion is if a federal magazine capacity ban or AWB comes down people are not going to suddenly abandon their 9mm's for .45

It's been said already: preban mags. No federal AWB would ban those; the bill would never pass, and even if it did? A man who would give up a preban mag that's been unconstitutionally outlawed is probably too big a pussy to carry anything other than a .40 anyway.

It's also been pointed out that many of us have no problem carrying both or either, plus maybe a .38spl or .357 occasionally.

Been in NH for over a year, and still don't have a semi auto pistol with a magazine over 8 rounds, and that is still a .45 1911. I'd rather carry a single stack and more magazines than a doublestack - just my preference.

P238 in .380 for work where concealment is priority. Still working on getting a P365. Most other times it's a Compact 1911 in .45.

Back
Top Bottom