Mass gun law and black powder question?? Thanks!

codfish

NES Member
Do black powder cap lock pistols require a pistol permit or FID card in Mass?

Thanks, for the help, I have a relative in Mass that gave me a couple of old pistols and I was concerned about picking them up as I live in NH and do not have a MA LTC.

Last edited:
Black powder firearms do not require any FID or LTC in mass. However, buying and possesign the powder and firing caps themselves, you do at least need an FID.

Should also be noted that there is a MA court decision that says you need an LTC to actually "carry" a black powder pistol.

Right. Commonwealth vs Bibby. It established that you do need an LTC to possess a black powder pistol outside your home or business. (Because antique firearms are exempt from C.140 requirements, but not from C.269 restrictions)

" No gun license is needed by bow hunters, nor by minors 12-14 years old hunting with a duly licensed adult, nor for the possession of primitive rifles or shotguns as defined in MGL Ch. 140, Section 121, or their ammunition. However, an LTC or FID is required to purchase all ammunition including black powder and Pyrodex. CAUTION: Massachusetts public safety laws define primitive arms differently from the laws and regulations of MassWildlife"

pg 26 here: http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/17MAAB-LR2.pdf

Are round lead balls restricted for sale, or is this just a Cabela's thing?

Friend who is a Vermont resident was at the Cabela's in MA, asked clerk about buying a blackpowder revolver. They were willing to sell him the pistol, but not the lead balls, #10 caps, or powder.

Are round lead balls restricted for sale, or is this just a Cabela's thing?

Should also be noted that there is a MA court decision that says you need an LTC to actually "carry" a black powder pistol.

-Mike
Hey Mike

My 30 son who lives with use has old felony in ( Ma.) ... would love him to come with me during mussel loader season ... can he? .. if so what do we need to do?
He has always had valid hunting license in Ma. We do hunt during archery season ... Kevin [email protected] ... Thanks for your time

Hey Mike

My 30 son who lives with use has old felony in ( Ma.) ... would love him to come with me during mussel loader season ... can he? .. if so what do we need to do?
He has always had valid hunting license in Ma. We do hunt during archery season ... Kevin [email protected] ... Thanks for your time
For starters he can just use his bow during muzzle loader season.....and shotgun season

But....if your asking if he can use a muzzle loader without an FID or LTC......he can but it cannot use 209 primers because those are considered an ammo component. He can use a rifle that uses old school percussion caps.

Back
Top Bottom