• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MASS FID = Benelli M4 ownership?

If I were to get a FID instead of a LTC would I be able to buy and keep a Benelli M4 in my home for self defense?

Thanks

NOT sure... read this though...

Residents must have an FID in order to purchase, possess, or transport a rifle or shotgun that is not a large-capacity gun; to purchase or possess ammunition or component parts of ammunition; and to purchase or possess defense sprays.
http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/masslawsfid.html

Definition of Large Capacity Weapon

A weapon is large capacity if it is a semi-automatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting (or readily modifiable to accept) any detachable large capacity feeding device that holds more than ten rounds, OR if it is a shotgun capable of accepting more than five shotgun shells, OR if it is an assault weapon.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm

The Benelli M4 hold 5 shells. So, it is not large capacity. (right?)

DO NOT act on this info as I am not sure. All I did was look up some regs.

The OP should really get some solid advice before considering an Benelli M4.

FID's allow the possession of shotguns that are not large capacity nor so called "assault weapons", with an assault weapon defined as:

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
* Detachable magazine

Check the specs of the Benelli M4 that you want, since they seem to come with both folding and fixed stocks.

If I were to get a FID instead of a LTC would I be able to buy and keep a Benelli M4 in my home for self defense?

Yes, the M4 is perfectly legal for a FID holder to own and possess. It is neither "large capacity",

as the magazine only holds 4 shells, nor an "assault weapon", as it only has one "evil feature", which is the pistol grip.

Yes, the M4 is perfectly legal for a FID holder to own and possess. It is neither "large capacity",

as the magazine only holds 4 shells, nor an "assault weapon", as it only has one "evil feature", which is the pistol grip.

If the gun is set up the way it's supposed to be (eg, over 5 shell capacity) it would indeed be, large capacity.

Buying an M4 without having an extended tube on it is like using butter on half a slice of toast.

-Mike

If the gun is set up the way it's supposed to be (eg, over 5 shell capacity) it would indeed be, large capacity.

Buying an M4 without having an extended tube on it is like using butter on half a slice of toast.

-Mike

No argument there, but in the factory configuration, it is FID legal.

-Mike

Yes, but then having a tube that holds more than 5 shotgun rounds would make it non-AWB compliant (assuming it has factory pistol grip) and not legal for anyone to have.

Yes, but then having a tube that holds more than 5 shotgun rounds would make it non-AWB compliant (assuming it has factory pistol grip) and not legal for anyone to have.

Yes, you are correct....

I'll be chewing on shoe leather for this one. [laugh] I guess I'm just used to seeing M1S90s with 7+ round tubes on them... course most of those are all prebans.

-Mike

Agreed, the Benelli M4 in the U.S. "crippled" factory config is FID legal.
The tube only holds 4 shells with a solid stock.

Does it matter that it is "readily converted" to a "high capacity" configuration? I think so:

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device;

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells;

Last edited:
Does it matter that it is easily modified to a "high capacity" configuration?

It shouldn't. Since that configuration is the "factory default" for the M4 that means it should be FID legal. It would be different if the gun nominally came with an over 5 tube on it, but then at that point, the gun probably is not MA legal anyways for non-LE buyers (Because it violates the MA AWB )

A curious thing to note is the Benelli M1S90 is on the Large Cap roster. That shotgun is NOT legal for FID holders to own in MA, specifically because of the roster listing.... so even if the gun was neutered to below 5, it's still not FID legal. The M4 is not on the roster at all.

-Mike

It shouldn't. Since that configuration is the "factory default" for the M4 that means it should be FID legal.

What I don't understand about this is that sometimes manufacturers will come out with different defaults for the same gun, often labeled "State-compliance" models that are only shipped with 10-round magazines. Yet these, too, are illegal for FID holders to possess. One example:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/72038-S-W-has-a-MA-compliant-M-P15-22-out

ETA: I'd imagine that some AR-15 manufacturer out there only ships their guns with 10-round magazines. Shouldn't they (the particular AR-15 sold by that particular manufacturer) then be FID legal? I understand that high-capacity magazines exist, but this is also true of FID legal guns like the 10/22, Mini-14, etc.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about this is that sometimes manufacturers will come out with different defaults for the same gun, often labeled "State-compliance" models that are only shipped with 10-round magazines. Yet these, too, are illegal for FID holders to possess. One example:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/72038-S-W-has-a-MA-compliant-M-P15-22-out

Yes.... part of the problem is that gun shares an identical model number with its free state counterpart.

This harkens back to the old FID with a 10/22 problem. The 10/22 "gets by" because it was never offered from the factory with a large capacity magazine.

-Mike

What I don't understand about this is that sometimes manufacturers will come out with different defaults for the same gun, often labeled "State-compliance" models that are only shipped with 10-round magazines. Yet these, too, are illegal for FID holders to possess.

ETA: I'd imagine that some AR-15 manufacturer out there only ships their guns with 10-round magazines. Shouldn't they (the particular AR-15 sold by that particular manufacturer) then be FID legal? I understand that high-capacity magazines exist, but this is also true of FID legal guns like the 10/22, Mini-14, etc.

The AR-15 is specifically named as an "assault weapon," so ANY firearm using its design is also, regardless of what mags it ships with.

The Ruger 10/22, Mini-14 and Mini-30 were never so named and have never been on the Federal or MA "assault weapon" rosters.

It shouldn't. Since that configuration is the "factory default" for the M4 that means it should be FID legal. It would be different if the gun nominally came with an over 5 tube on it, but then at that point, the gun probably is not MA legal anyways for non-LE buyers (Because it violates the MA AWB )

A curious thing to note is the Benelli M1S90 is on the Large Cap roster. That shotgun is NOT legal for FID holders to own in MA, specifically because of the roster listing.... so even if the gun was neutered to below 5, it's still not FID legal. The M4 is not on the roster at all.

-Mike

That and Benelli won't ship/sell tube extensions to civvy's.

I had a dealer tell me that a Rem 870 is HiCap.

In terms of capacity, it is - or easily CAN be.

However, it is a PUMP and is, therefore EXCLUDED from the definition of "Large Capacity."

Something one would expect the dealer to know.

As one would expect of a dealer selling a 10/22............

The AR-15 is specifically named as an "assault weapon," so ANY firearm using its design is also, regardless of what mags it ships with.

The Ruger 10/22, Mini-14 and Mini-30 were never so named and have never been on the Federal or MA "assault weapon" rosters.

What does "design" refer to? The internal action and gas systems of the gun? The external features/looks? For example, Sig's 556 State Compliant Model. It isn't an AR-15. AFAIK, the Sig 556 is not specifically named as an "assault weapon." And it is sold separately/differently than the other firearms in the 556 line. So why isn't this State Compliant Model FID legal? Because there are similar firearms that are sold with high-capacity magazines?

I'm looking for a tactical shotgun myself and it seems the Mossberg 930SPX got some good write ups. Is the pistol grip version legal for MA? It does hold over 5 rounds and is semi-auto but the firearm is made in the USA. I read on another forum that since the benelli's are imported there are some different laws that pertain to them.

Thanks Chris

I'm looking for a tactical shotgun myself and it seems the Mossberg 930SPX got some good write ups. Is the pistol grip version legal for MA? It does hold over 5 rounds and is semi-auto but the firearm is made in the USA. I read on another forum that since the benelli's are imported there are some different laws that pertain to them.

Thanks Chris

No pistol grip, evil features over five rounds Semi Shot Gun in MA

Assualt Weapon Definition
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine

Last edited:
No pistol grip, evil features over five rounds Semi Shot Gun in MA

Assualt Weapon Definition
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine

What he means to say is that because it holds over 5 rounds that it cannot have any other evil feature. IE pistol grip. Just like the Saiga-12 cannot have a pistol grip because it's one evil feature is used up on the detachable magazine. I've never shot a 930SPX, but I've heard good things about them.

Got both the Saiga 12 and the 935 and neither of them need a pistol grip to do any job intended. Love that Mossberg though![smile]

Back
Top Bottom