Mass FFL Question; Can An Escapee Gun Be Repatriated In Mass ?

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I escaped Mass in 2014, and took most of my pre-ban goodies with me.
I've been collecting since the early 80's, so a good deal of my stuff is pre-94, and pre-98 (for Mass).
Also I have the original "onion skin" forms to prove these guns were purchased and owned in Mass before the laws changed.

Here's my question; say an LTC holder in Mass wanted to buy my SIG P-228, Browning Hi Power or Uzi Model B, complete with several pre-ban hi-cap magazines.
Would a Mass FFL do the transfer since these particular guns already have a lawful and provable history in Mass ???

I escaped Mass in 2014, and took most of my pre-ban goodies with me.
I've been collecting since the early 80's, so a good deal of my stuff is pre-94, and pre-98 (for Mass).
Also I have the original "onion skin" forms to prove these guns were purchased and owned in Mass before the laws changed.

Here's my question; say an LTC holder in Mass wanted to buy my SIG P-228, Browning Hi Power or Uzi Model B, complete with several pre-ban hi-cap magazines.
Would a Mass FFL do the transfer since these particular guns already have a lawful and provable history in Mass ???
First, some dealers don’t actually know the law so will do random things. Second some dealers know the law and just don’t care. I will try and answer what I understand the law to be.

940CMR16, the AG crap for handguns does not apply to anything pre98 (there is a precise and different date for each rule in that CMR but let’s just go with it for now). This is not in play for your question.

Handguns are subject to the list no matter the year of manufacture. There is an exception. The gun was lawfully possessed by a licensed party prior to 1998 (again there is an exact date). I don’t feel like pulling the MGL in question right now, but the wording is important. Licensed party. Any S&W is fine because they were manufactured in state and therefore in the lawful possession of a licensed party. In State. Does not say in state continuously. So if you have handguns that you possessed IN STATE prior to 1998 they are exempt from the EOPS list. A dealer might ask you to sign something. They might take your word. They might not care. They might not care and not touch it like it is radio active waste. The law is pretty clear that pre98 lawfully possessed is transferable.

Just find a dealer that knows their ass from their elbow (or does not care) and you are all set.

Last edited:
I had a pre-Healey AR from my MA days I wanted to sell after I moved up here. I asked an FFL about selling it to a MA resident, and he told me no MA FFL would touch it, FWIW.

I had a pre-Healey AR from my MA days I wanted to sell after I moved up here. I asked an FFL about selling it to a MA resident, and he told me no MA FFL would touch it, FWIW.

Healey made it clear that in order for an FFL to transfer what she considers to be an "assault weapon", it has to be pre '94. "Pre-Healey" rifles can be transferred privately, but not through a dealer.

Back
Top Bottom