• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass FA-10 and C&R gun - follow the law?

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
A friend of mine who is an FFL dealer called me to ask me a question about a gun he took on consignment for a customer. A 1932 Colt Ace. The customer doesn't have a C&R and had someone else who has an LTC drop it off and wants to pick it up for the other person because they cannot leave their home.
When he took it in he put it in his bound book and it is not a Mass legal gun because it is not on the list and the other parties don't have a C&R (which our new law would have covered). He normally tells people that since it is not on the list, he cannot give it back and has to sell it. He forgot to mention this this time.

It is my understanding that even if you use a C&R to buy a gun, in Massachusetts you are LEGALLY required to fill out an FA10. The BATFE rules say you "must follow all state laws" From what I have seen most people and most dealers don't follow that part of the law, they just exchange papers and you log it in your book and never notify the state. I fill out FA10's because while you really don't want the state to know what you have if the they start coming around to round up guns we are having a bigger shi* show than whether you have an FA10 or not.

I think for a C&R holder it is up to them (or me if it is me) to fill out the FA10 but a dealer cannot sell or transfer a C&R gun or any gun that is not on the list (list doesn't matter for the C&R gun) to a person without a C&R. It was this sort of situation that I had with "the Rat" about a 1902 top break I was going to put on consignment and he said he wouldn't be able to return it if it didn't sell so I went to Jim Timilty and he and I and Len S. put together the law that is currently in place for C&R guns through FFLs to avoid the list.

SO am I correct that following the strict letter of he cannot transfer the gun that isn't on the list to that other party? I am talking a strict reading of the law, not about what most dealers do, as my friend is extremely strict in his application of the law even to the point of losing sales.

A friend of mine who is an FFL dealer called me to ask me a question about a gun he took on consignment for a customer. A 1932 Colt Ace. The customer doesn't have a C&R and had someone else who has an LTC drop it off and wants to pick it up for the other person because they cannot leave their home.
When he took it in he put it in his bound book and it is not a Mass legal gun because it is not on the list and the other parties don't have a C&R (which our new law would have covered). He normally tells people that since it is not on the list, he cannot give it back and has to sell it. He forgot to mention this this time.

It is my understanding that even if you use a C&R to buy a gun, in Massachusetts you are LEGALLY required to fill out an FA10. The BATFE rules say you "must follow all state laws" From what I have seen most people and most dealers don't follow that part of the law, they just exchange papers and you log it in your book and never notify the state. I fill out FA10's because while you really don't want the state to know what you have if the they start coming around to round up guns we are having a bigger shi* show than whether you have an FA10 or not.

I think for a C&R holder it is up to them (or me if it is me) to fill out the FA10 but a dealer cannot sell or transfer a C&R gun or any gun that is not on the list (list doesn't matter for the C&R gun) to a person without a C&R. It was this sort of situation that I had with "the Rat" about a 1902 top break I was going to put on consignment and he said he wouldn't be able to return it if it didn't sell so I went to Jim Timilty and he and I and Len S. put together the law that is currently in place for C&R guns through FFLs to avoid the list.

SO am I correct that following the strict letter of he cannot transfer the gun that isn't on the list to that other party? I am talking a strict reading of the law, not about what most dealers do, as my friend is extremely strict in his application of the law even to the point of losing sales.
The Commonwealth defines a firearm by its ability to fire a shot. Can he return to the customer some number of artifacts of which none is capable of discharging a shot, and allow the customer to correct the situation?

The Commonwealth defines a firearm by its ability to fire a shot. Can he return to the customer some number of artifacts of which none is capable of discharging a shot, and allow the customer to correct the situation?
Who is the pivot man in this circle jerk? Jack.

I had this problem, sorta. I ordered a Webley Mk VI through an FFL years ago, but my C&R wasn't in place yet. He couldn't release it to me until I got that damn 03 license because it "wasn't on the list." He held onto it for the week or so that it took to turn around my C&R.

This is a 1917-made top-break revolver in a completely obsolete caliber. Which didn't matter.

I went in, showed my C&R, and he made a copy. Then he did the exact same thing I'd done every time I bought a gun at a dealer here: 4473, EFA-10. Just like any other sale.

Back
Top Bottom