• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass F.I.D. Question

Would I in the state of Massachusetts be allowed to store a firearm at my girlfriends property in a separate town if I’m at the residence while the firearm is there? Or would this require me to have a LTC.

Describe "firearm". Jack.
Shotgun/rifle any FID legal firearm
LOL.

MGL Ch. 140 §121: Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions
As used in sections 122 to 131Q, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:
''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.
''Rifle'', a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.
''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.
...​
(Italics mine).

Note well that "firearm" does not necessarily have that definition
outside of Ch. 140 §§122-131Q.

But FIDs are §129B while LTCs are §131,
which are inside that range.

Still, Stryker's post #4 covers storage.
Which is what you asked about

Just note that transporting has different rules,
especially regarding mere trigger locks.

Would I in the state of Massachusetts be allowed to store a firearm at my girlfriends property in a separate town if I’m at the residence while the firearm is there? Or would this require me to have a LTC.

“Firearm” in Mass. law means “handgun”; an FID doesn’t actually allow you to possess a “firearm”.

The best answer is to have your girlfriend get an LTC. You should get one too.

If you are there (I assume this is a case where you’re going to or coming from the range) you can have your rifles or shotguns there.

If you leave them there and you both go to dinner together, and there’s nobody else in the house, you’re fine.

I wouldn’t leave them there if anyone who is not licensed has access to them.

“Firearm” in Mass. law means “handgun”; an FID doesn’t actually allow you to possess a “firearm”.

If you are there (I assume this is a case where you’re going to or coming from the range) you can have your rifles or shotguns there.

If you leave them there and you both go to dinner together, and there’s nobody else in the house, you’re fine.

You sorta messed up a perfectly good answer above.

You can keep your firearms, rifles, shotguns, ammo, whatever, anyplace you care to.

The item is either under your personal control (on your hip, shoulder, hands, etc), in transport (specific laws apply) or in storage (other, specific laws apply).

They're just fine at the girlfriends place even with the owner not present so long as they are properly locked up. (Locked container or gun lock) Obviously with the key not in the lock.

You sorta messed up a perfectly good answer above.

You can keep your firearms, rifles, shotguns, ammo, whatever, anyplace you care to.

The item is either under your personal control (on your hip, shoulder, hands, etc), in transport (specific laws apply) or in storage (other, specific laws apply).

They're just fine at the girlfriends place even with the owner not present so long as they are properly locked up. (Locked container or gun lock) Obviously with the key not in the lock.

You're absolutely right.

I was careful to say, "I wouldn't" and not, "you can't" or "it's illegal"

I plan on getting one but that’s next year (I’m 20) also thank you very much for the information. I also forgot I live in a state where they make up their own definitions for words.

Back
Top Bottom