• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass doctors have right to discuss gun safety

Sure they do.

And we have the right to say, "I'm safe, I know and follow the Three Rules."

If they think that's not what gun safety is about, perhaps taking the doctor to the range would be helpful.

While there, you can discuss malpractice, and over-prescribing drugs.

Fair's fair, after all!

This is like saying "government has a right". It is nonsense. This is not an issue of rights for the doctor.

They are free to ask whatever they like, but they certainly don't have a right to "discuss" anything.

People sure have lost their way about what freedom and responsibility really look like. The monarchists are coming, the monarchists are coming...

Professionally speaking, unless they have taken training outside that provided by medicine, they are also not qualified to speak on the issue. It is malpractice to assume that med school propares to speak as an expert on firearms...

Last edited:
Discuss away, but the Dr. will be the only one talking. Until they decide to "discuss" car accidents, lightning strikes, or falls from roofs, I don't think I'll be contributing to the conversation.

Bahhhhh goes the sheep. I will give no answer when asked, and rebuttal with a question if the doctors wife spits or swallows her gum. Then walk out.

Or "spits or swallows" other things - that should get an interesting reaction. :). And then start to give him medical advice and when he tells you you are unqualified ...

If I follow my doctor's expert recommendations on firearm safety, perhaps the same way he might prescribe dangerous medications or procedures, i.e. what he is trained and certified to do, and injury or death results from following his incomplete or inaccurate gun safety advice, is he or his insurer prepared to accept the liability of his "expert" advise?

Discuss away, but the Dr. will be the only one talking. Until they decide to "discuss" car accidents, lightning strikes, or falls from roofs, I don't think I'll be contributing to the conversation.

They already ask intrusive questions like "Do you feel safe at home? Are you afraid of anyone? Has anyone ever threatened you? Do you wear seatbelts? Do you smoke? Do you take drugs? Do you like it when I touch you this way? Who's your daddy?"

Well, they ask some of those.

If a doctor of mine ever asks me about guns, I will ask them if they treat any AIDS patients. And if they're in a good mood, I'll add:

"I'd hate to get that again. It was a real bear to shake."

That spells "Y,E,S" to the question of "do you have guns in your home".

You're probably right. But so is saying nothing IMHO. And every doctor is subjective in how they read into someone too. This is just a violation, even if it doesn't cross into obligation.

Back
Top Bottom