Mass DMV

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Story Time...

I got pulled over a few months ago. I had no clue why. The officer said my plates came back as revoked...WTF? I had renewed my registration a month previous and had the registration in hand and even showed him the receipt in an email. Nothin' doin' He had my truck towed. Luckily the tow company was local and gave me a break on the charges, but I had to pay a fee at the DMV etc. etc. They were showing that I never paid for the registration renewal yet I had the new registration, the sticker, and a receipt. SUPER

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The following states require annual auto inspections: Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia, plus Washington, DC

Are Vehicle Inspections Really About Safety? - Insurance News | The Zebra

Fewer than half the country requires inspections and show no significant improvement over states that do not.

Inspections are SOLELY for the purpose of generating revenue.

Two states require inspections only when sold and I'd actually be fine with that.

If your particular insurance company want's to pay for an inspection program of their own that's fine too. You can always find a different company.

Think about how long MOST people keep a car. 3 - 5 years. I'm an outlier. I keep it until it rusts into the ground.

MOST of the rolling stock in the state would therefore have had an inspection in the past say, 4 years (assuming inspections only upon a sale). If you have an accident caused by a wheel falling off, see about assigning fault at that time.
I'm not suggesting we not have safety inspections or eye exams. I'm saying the only people that should care work for the people who will be paying out when you crash into a tree because you can't see past the end of your nose and your brakes are shot (MA inspections dont check brakes BTW)...Liberty Mutual should care, Marty Walsh should not!
Those are all good points. I figured if Missouri had inspections, EVERYONE had inspections. LOL. But that list is missing California. There is no QUESTION that CA has inspections. Newer cars are exempt (unlike in MA) but they definitely have an inspection.

I'm definitely with you all. BUT. . . . . I think that you're never going to win the "that's hte insurance company's job" argument. Part of being in a society is an expectation that leadership give a crap about citizen well-being. So you'll always have some sort of inspection. For safety.

Given the technology in modern cars, inspections every 5-8 years would be far more reasonable. Lic. every 10 would make sense, too. At least you'd get your pic updated.

And none of this will EVER come to pass in mAss. Because, as mentioned, the $ is just too good to pass up.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Those are all good points. I figured if Missouri had inspections, EVERYONE had inspections. LOL. But that list is missing California. There is no QUESTION that CA has inspections. Newer cars are exempt (unlike in MA) but they definitely have an inspection.

I'm definitely with you all. BUT. . . . . I think that you're never going to win the "that's hte insurance company's job" argument. Part of being in a society is an expectation that leadership give a crap about citizen well-being. So you'll always have some sort of inspection. For safety.

Given the technology in modern cars, inspections every 5-8 years would be far more reasonable. Lic. every 10 would make sense, too. At least you'd get your pic updated.

And none of this will EVER come to pass in mAss. Because, as mentioned, the $ is just too good to pass up.
I hadn't noticed CA was missing from the list. Typo? Maybe the article is spun [laugh]

I know we're stuck with them becau$e money, just venting a little.

Rat187

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Renewed my Mass DL today. She said $65 please. Seems I remember paying $50 the last time. She said the MC is extra. She said that I could remove the MC but there would be a charge to do that. So you have to pay to have something and have to pay again to not have something. Wonderful. Jack.
$7.50 a letter to input MC on your license ....any you have a problem with that....? Skinflint.....[laugh]

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started riding street bikes in 1979 but I didn't get a motorcycle license until 1996 so I'm a little ahead on the up charge. It's like when you let your inspection sticker expire for a month or two every year. A few trips around the calendar and you save a few bucks. Of course that whole plan falls apart the first time you get pinched. It ain't easy being a hardcore skinflint.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got pulled over a few months ago. I had no clue why. The officer said my plates came back as revoked...WTF? I had renewed my registration a month previous and had the registration in hand and even showed him the receipt in an email. Nothin' doin' He had my truck towed. Luckily the tow company was local and gave me a break on the charges, but I had to pay a fee at the DMV etc. etc. They were showing that I never paid for the registration renewal yet I had the new registration, the sticker, and a receipt. SUPER
Did you originally pay for your renewal with a credit card at the registry office itself?

(I DGAF if it's not the identical fact-pattern.
The RMV has lost all entitlements to the benefit of the doubt).

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If there's a way to screw something up, the Mass RMV will find it.
One of my coworkers has a 1965 Corvette convertible, he bought it about 10 years ago and had it registered with YoM plates. He took it off the road about two years ago to do a restoration, so he let his registration and insurance expire.
A few weeks ago he had the car back together enough to take it for a ride, so he went to his insurance agent and renewed the insurance policy. He then tried to renew the registration and reactivate the plates on-line, but the RMV system wouldn't let him complete the transaction, giving a message that his insurance was expired. I told him he would have to take the insurance paperwork he got from him agent down to the RMV in person to renew the plates. Anyway, I looked up his registration status on-line and it showed "expired", which was expected, but the really odd part was the vehicle info showing was totally wrong. According to the Mass RMV records, his Corvette is a FOUR DOOR with a SIX Cylinder engine. Now how the hell did they screw that up ???

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Never let insurance or plates expire in MA. ALWAYS return the plates and then cancel the insurance. Get receipts!

Unless you have vanity plates you want to keep, then just pay da money.

boscru

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i bought a $600.00 4 X 8 light duty trailer this year. bad enough i have to renew plates every year, but i got an excise tax bill for about $7.00

i'm guessing the rat b#$tards will hit me with that every year into eternity

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i bought a $600.00 4 X 8 light duty trailer this year. bad enough i have to renew plates every year, but i got an excise tax bill for about $7.00

i'm guessing the rat b#$tards will hit me with that every year into eternity
Home - Maine Trailer Registrations

5 yr $99
10 yr $189
12 yr $229

You can probably do it yourself, too and save some. Don't know. (the link is NOT to the government DMV site - it appears to be some private reg company)

MA is $20 / yr (for the first 1000 pounds anyway) so it works out the same, but no excise and you can register in multi year chunks and not worry about it.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The following states require annual auto inspections: Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia, plus Washington, DC

Are Vehicle Inspections Really About Safety? - Insurance News | The Zebra

Fewer than half the country requires inspections and show no significant improvement over states that do not.

Inspections are SOLELY for the purpose of generating revenue.

Two states require inspections only when sold and I'd actually be fine with that.

If your particular insurance company want's to pay for an inspection program of their own that's fine too. You can always find a different company.

Think about how long MOST people keep a car. 3 - 5 years. I'm an outlier. I keep it until it rusts into the ground.

MOST of the rolling stock in the state would therefore have had an inspection in the past say, 4 years (assuming inspections only upon a sale). If you have an accident caused by a wheel falling off, see about assigning fault at that time.
While not required, some of the states not listed will do a roadside spot check, mostly by the sherrifs dept. Happened to me once in Tennesee and once in Georgia many, many moons ago. Mostly obvious safety stuff, lights out, bald tires stuff like that.

On that note, the registry and the d.o.t. as a whole is such a sh#t show, and will remain that way for eons.
Anyway to justify squeezing an extra buck from anyone and they'll find it.
Tolls, fees of all kinds, switching plates out, insp stickers, cost for an insp sticker lic. Have to cover all that stolen overtime and suspended license screw-ups somehow.

I get these "safety and compliance" registry dipshits down here every 4 months for school bus inspection.
One tried to out-of-service one of my buses, while pointing to a power steering pump, telling me "your turbo chargers wet"
Had another one pull on a driveshaft safety loop and tell me "your drive shaft carrier bearing is really bad"
While the're quick to throw out "cmr 540" as a reference for equipment deficiencies, call em on it and they can't find it. Because its more of an opinion than it is written law. They try to find things to justify their existence as opposed to when the staties used to do it 15 or so years ago, which was another state created fiasco.
So who watches the watchers?

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Home - Maine Trailer Registrations

5 yr $99
10 yr $189
12 yr $229

You can probably do it yourself, too and save some. Don't know. (the link is NOT to the government DMV site - it appears to be some private reg company)

MA is $20 / yr (for the first 1000 pounds anyway) so it works out the same, but no excise and you can register in multi year chunks and not worry about it.
But you have zero insurance coverage if something happens.

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
If there's a way to screw something up, the Mass RMV will find it.
One of my coworkers has a 1965 Corvette convertible, he bought it about 10 years ago and had it registered with YoM plates. He took it off the road about two years ago to do a restoration, so he let his registration and insurance expire.
A few weeks ago he had the car back together enough to take it for a ride, so he went to his insurance agent and renewed the insurance policy. He then tried to renew the registration and reactivate the plates on-line, but the RMV system wouldn't let him complete the transaction, giving a message that his insurance was expired. I told him he would have to take the insurance paperwork he got from him agent down to the RMV in person to renew the plates. . .
YoM plates can not be renewed online they never could. Every year you have to show up at the RMV with RMV-1 form (or RMV-3) in hand and wait in line.

capewalk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try having a CDL with a bunch of endorsements and a motorcycle endorsement. I need to take a loan to pay for the renewal
Add a hazmat endorsement and you can include 100 dollars for a background check and a trip there to apply for it. In my case both of the nearest facilities are roughly ninety miles away.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Add a hazmat endorsement and you can include 100 dollars for a background check and a trip there to apply for it. In my case both of the nearest facilities are roughly ninety miles away.
I have the "X" endorsement too .... and a TWIC Card...... I feel your pain... don't forget having to study and retest for the Haz Mat endorsement every 5 years and a health card every 2... $$$$$$$

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Reactions: AHM

capewalk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What happens when you are towing someone else's trailer? Are you stating this from experience? Years ago when I purchased a camper and called my insurance company they told me my camper was covered by my liability policy provided it was ATTACHED to my truck. I know the maine trailer registration is widely used in commercial vehicles. I've not heard of any issues.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Someone else's is ok
You are now towing your trailer, registered to you, but in another state, with your mass address.
pulling it with your mass registered auto.

Just don't get in an accident, you'll be f...d

Commercial trailers is a complete different story

capewalk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Someone else's is ok
You are now towing your trailer, registered to you, but in another state, with your mass address.
pulling it with your mass registered auto.

Just don't get in an accident, you'll be f...d
I could own property in Maine. This doesn't answer my question. How can the insurance company legally refuse to honor the claim?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trailer's aren't insured here either. At least for the class of trailer we're talking about. No idea if big rigs have ins requirements.

The tow vehicle's insurance covers the trip. Out of state means about as much as renting a U-Haul that happens to have Nevada plates.

I could own property in Maine. This doesn't answer my question. How can the insurance company legally refuse to honor the claim?
Until someone produces a current, publicized policy of insurance companies or cite in law I will consider that folklore.

While not required, some of the states not listed will do a roadside spot check, mostly by the sherrifs dept. Happened to me once in Tennesee and once in Georgia many, many moons ago. Mostly obvious safety stuff, lights out, bald tires stuff like that. …
As far as that goes, all states will do that. Get stopped for something and your tires are bald or the cop notices only one headlight on and pulls you over, you're getting a ticket. It's the revenue generating annual that is ridiculous.

Last edited:

capewalk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Until someone produces a current, publicized policy of insurance companies or cite in law I will consider that folklore.

My sentiments exactly.​

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

My sentiments exactly.​
Fair enough, I agree
If I see it in writing that's it's NOT a problem, then I'll register all 4 of my trailers out of state

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I've got 3 cars. I register 2 in Mass and one in Maine. Let's assume Maine doesn't require insurance to register a car.

I drive all 3 cars. I get into an accident in Car #3, registered in Maine. Do you REALLY think they'll pay anything on that claim off of my Mass insurance policy???

YOU can't be the uninsured motorist on your own policy. It would be funny if you could. Probably funny to the insurance agent when you try.

I'm pretty sure my boat trailer is insured. I think. Maybe it isn't. The boat is barely insured as with a 9.9, I'm not gonna be running anyone over with it. I do enjoy (lol) paying MA the trailer fee annually on a trailer I never use. When I get my pontoon, I'll probably turn in the small trailer plates. No need to have them anymore.

Top Bottom