• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Dealer Selling out of state?

I'm all screwed up about the laws of this great state... errr Commonwealth... so maybe someone can answer this real quick..

Can a dealer in Mass sell a gun that is not on the approve list to someone outside the state of mass?

Guess what I'm asking is.. can a Mass Dealer ship a gun to a FFL outside the state that is illegal to sell in the state?

I was under the impression... that the approved list only applies to Dealers.. and that they can not sell anything that is not on the list that is post ban? Does that only apply to mass residents?

Yes. If the gun is transferred out, it's not being sold to an MA
consumer, and thus, would not really fall under the EOPS/AG's
regs.

-Mike

Places like Collectors and many others make a fair chunk of their living by selling outside MA (ever since 1998) via the Internet (gun auction sites, etc.) and shipping to FFLs in the buyer's state.

Perfectly legal . . . at least until the MA AG threatens them! [Wouldn't have legal grounds but that has never stopped their goon squad before.]

Seems kind of ass backwards, doesn't it?

Although not that common, there have been a few instances where I've seen non-MA approved handguns on display with a small note next to it (or was told by the dealer), that it was available for out of state sales only (some MA FFLs have accounts with online firearms auction sites).

In some of the circumstances, the FFL might have had the firearm in stock, but couldn't sell it to a MA resident until the EOPS list was published.

Yeah once I found a gun on Gunbroker for a great price at the Ware gun shop and got really excited b/c the price was so good, I called them and was crushed to learn it was for out of state only.[frown]

Yeah once I found a gun on Gunbroker for a great price at the Ware gun shop and got really excited b/c the price was so good, I called them and was crushed to learn it was for out of state only.[frown]

Yup... I "won" off Gunbroker... I assumed that since he was in mass... that it was all fair and games... but I did get a steal on the gun... so I guess the old saying.. "if its 2 good to be true... then it is" holds true...

I'm not mad at the place... just bummed... [thinking]
On one side I'm glad to see that they are able to sell at least to out of state (big market on the net)... but on the other side of me seems to feel that every gun that leaves is one less gun that you or I would have the chance to buy from a citizen...

Thanks for the info everyone!

Before I bid on any gun from a Mass dealer on Gunbroker, I ask the dealer if he's willing to do a (FFL or FTF) transfer in Mass. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. There are two prolific Gunbroker dealers (Footguard and Tackle Unlimited) from Mass that sell lots of guns that they won't transfer in-state.

Back
Top Bottom