• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass compliant?

I recently bought an M&P 40 full size at a gun show. It came with one mag. I took it home and investigated it further and I took it down. I noticed some of the blue was wearing off in places where it would have been holstered a lot. No Biggie right? As I was cleaning it found a lot of wear on certain spots. Meaning it was fired a good amount. I also noticed I couldn't dry fire it unless the mag was installed. That's when I noticed that the mag held 15 rounds. I couldn't believe it so i tested it my self. Yep 15 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. Come to find out it was a duty piece turned in to the FLL I bought it from. Here's my concern. The mag doesn't say LEO only on it anywhere. I had the FLL look at it himself. However, How can I consider this pre ban if the M&P line up didn't come out until 04 yet the ban was implemented in 94? Keep in mind I am a brand new LTC holder with limited knowledge but I am getting better every day. So bottom line. Am I carrying a high capacity mag or a legal mag? Keep in mind that this problem has prevented me from making it my daily carry.

The pistol itself is fine no matter what. On a list or not. You are fine.
The magazine "needs" to be pre ban if over 10+1
As far as if they made pre ban magazines or if so how to ID them for a 40 M&P.... no clue
When you had the FFL that sold it to you look at the normal cap magazine what did they say?

I faced a similar problem just today. I had sent my TNW PCC back to Oregon for one last try at a warranty repair for FTE/Stove piping. It came back yesterday, but along with Korean "happy sticks." (Yes, plural and clearly not pre-ban). I decided that as much as I don't like the Massachusetts limit, it wasn't worth the risk to hold on to $18 contraband items or even to try to sell them in New Hampshire. So this morning, I drove to my local police station, surrendered the things, got a receipt and moved on.

The cost of being wrong is too high to be worth guessing about.

His biggest concern was that is it didn't say "LEO only" It doesn't it says "40 S&W .357" that's all

It's my understanding that the "LEO Only" markings came out after the ban. Before the ban, there was no need for those markings, everyone could have any capacity mag.

So, if it was marked "LEO Only", I would think it was manufactured AFTER the ban, and without the marking, it's pre-ban.

But - it's not my butt on the line - so you make your own decision.

• This should be in the law section of the site.
  • Don't admit to felonies online. Seriously, delete this thread.
  • As it currently sits, that mag is illegal.
  • You should be able to find a mag block online that can be installed in your mag to limit capacity down to ten rounds.
  • LEO markings don't really matter one way or another.
  • The gun itself is perfectly fine and legal. Just the mag is an issue.

Yes. Delete this, but here's my advice anyway.

I'd buy some ten-rounders and use it for carry; no issues there. The 15-rounder I would hammer to bits with a heavy sledge.

"Or something." As long as you aren't found with it.

I faced a similar problem just today. I had sent my TNW PCC back to Oregon for one last try at a warranty repair for FTE/Stove piping. It came back yesterday, but along with Korean "happy sticks." (Yes, plural and clearly not pre-ban). I decided that as much as I don't like the Massachusetts limit, it wasn't worth the risk to hold on to $18 contraband items or even to try to sell them in New Hampshire. So this morning, I drove to my local police station, surrendered the things, got a receipt and moved on.

You voluntarily brought a few felonies straight to the cops? Are you serious?

Gentleman thank you for you r assistance. I am very green on this site so i thought it would fit here.

It's a fair question and an impossibly silly situation necessitated by a nanny state. But it is what it is.

Enjoy your firearm (and some compliant mags!) and shoot it safely.

It's my understanding that the "LEO Only" markings came out after the ban. Before the ban, there was no need for those markings, everyone could have any capacity mag.

So, if it was marked "LEO Only", I would think it was manufactured AFTER the ban, and without the marking, it's pre-ban.

Following up on this because I realized that there's another reason for that mag to be unmarked - if it came from a "free state", (or one that used to be free).

This thread and the responses in it are so incredibly sad to read on so many levels. I don't blame the OP or anyone who responded to smash it, burn it, turn it in, etc. But to go from the birthplace of freedom to a place where you're calling lawyers over accidentally handling plastic containers that can hold more rounds than ten, in a couple hundred years or so, is just plain sad.

Again, no criticism from me. I'm not one of those keyboard warriors going to tell you what I would do if I lived in that state. Just reflecting, because you've already gotten the answer and I have nothing of real value to add.

How do you like the TNW? Saw some at the Mill and am pretty much sold on one vs. the Ruger PCC

How do you like the TNW? Saw some at the Mill and am pretty much sold on one vs. the Ruger PCC
I can't recommend it. This is the 3rd time it's been back to Oregon to address stovepiping, and this time it was after I took it to Northeast Arms to see if they could sort it out. Nor, from what I can tell on the web is the problem unique to my copy. Had it been reliable, I was planning to go the SBR route.

That mag is normal capacity in most of the US to this day, so not saying LEO Only is meaningless. And even if it said LEO only it wouldn't matter to me, it's not legally binding..... and I'm in NH. But if it was made post MA ban, you may not want to flash it around too much at the range, there are fudds out there that will drop a dime on you.

The M&P has a magazine safety disconnect so that it won’t go bang without the mag installed. If it doesn’t have the mag safety disconnect it should have writing on the slide that says “warning capable of firing without mag” or something along those lines.

Gentleman thank you for you r assistance. I am very green on this site so i thought it would fit here.
FYI, the LEO only markings only existed between 1994 and 2004 so the lack of marking is NOT indicative of a pre-ban mag. Once the federal ban sunsetted in 2004, there was no reason to do the extra work stamping those mags.

I recently bought an M&P 40 full size at a gun show. It came with one mag. I took it home and investigated it further and I took it down. I noticed some of the blue was wearing off in places where it would have been holstered a lot. No Biggie right? As I was cleaning it found a lot of wear on certain spots. Meaning it was fired a good amount. I also noticed I couldn't dry fire it unless the mag was installed. That's when I noticed that the mag held 15 rounds. I couldn't believe it so i tested it my self. Yep 15 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. Come to find out it was a duty piece turned in to the FLL I bought it from. Here's my concern. The mag doesn't say LEO only on it anywhere. I had the FLL look at it himself. However, How can I consider this pre ban if the M&P line up didn't come out until 04 yet the ban was implemented in 94? Keep in mind I am a brand new LTC holder with limited knowledge but I am getting better every day. So bottom line. Am I carrying a high capacity mag or a legal mag? Keep in mind that this problem has prevented me from making it my daily carry.
Mag is illegal to possess in MA.

The entire modern M&P series wasn't sold to the public before 2004, so there are no such things as "pre-ban" mags out there for any of them.
FYI, the LEO only markings only existed between 1994 and 2004 so the lack of marking is NOT indicative of a pre-ban mag. Once the federal ban sunsetted in 2004, there was no reason to do the extra work stamping those mags.
Bingo!

The M&P has a magazine safety disconnect so that it won’t go bang without the mag installed. If it doesn’t have the mag safety disconnect it should have writing on the slide that says “warning capable of firing without mag” or something along those lines.

This. Although, one could remove the mag disconnect spring/lever. I was under the impression that this compliance aspect is only for point of sale, and has no bearing on ownership (meaning once owned, you can remove it). But IANAL.

This. Although, one could remove the mag disconnect spring/lever. I was under the impression that this compliance aspect is only for point of sale, and has no bearing on ownership (meaning once owned, you can remove it). But IANAL.
I believe you are correct. Back in the day when I also visited the S&W forum someone had posted about a company that sold the parts you needed to do the conversion with. So I ordered them and did it to my M&P 40C. It looked like a spring from a click pen and was relatively inexpensive and not that difficult to do and now it will go bang when I pull the trigger without the mag in, just like all my other pistols. If I pull the trigger I expect it to go bang (or click if chamber is empty), I don't need some mag disconnect crap to try and protect me, but you do whatever you gotta do to appease the AG to be able to sell guns in this state.

Mag disconnect is not a compliance issue per se.

There are mass M&P skus without that trash in it.

They all have the shit trigger, regardless. (Bucuz S&W is skeered).

Mag disconnect is not a compliance issue per se.

There are mass M&P skus without that trash in it.

They all have the shit trigger, regardless. (Bucuz S&W is skeered).

I read somewhere that for MA, it is either a mag disconnect or LCI. Has to have one or the other. But I think I read that on some blog a couple years ago, so I'm not quoting that as scripture. Would make a little sense though how sometimes you see it, and sometimes you don't.

Back
Top Bottom