• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass compliance

If you can find one registered pre 7/20/2016 and complies with the AWB then yes it is fine.

According to the MA definition of an "assault rifle" ....

A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any two of the following:
  • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
  • A folding or telescoping stock.
  • A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
  • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
  • A bayonet lug

Doesn't the PSL have a so called thumb hole stock,and only a 10 round magazine.

As far as I am aware Romak III has no lug.
Thumbhole stocks in the old AWB were OK if memory serves, presumably OK in MA but who really knows these days. Romak III's stock is fixed.

So, assuming the stock is fine, your one evil feature would be the threaded barrel/flash hider, unless you got a comp pinned and welded instead.
If you went the pin/weld route, the stock would be irrelevant anyway (in the realm of "pistol" vs. "not pistol," that is) and could stand in as your feature regardless of interpretation.

So, if pre-7/20, my opinion (IANAL) is that it would be OK.

Its a copy cat as far as I know so even with the thumb hole stock I don't know if it will be good to go for a new incoming transfer.

Just about the last person I'd go to for advice on gun laws is a dealer.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. My dealer knows the laws inside and out. He's a smart guy who would never jeopardize his licenses by transferring or selling any gun that did not comply with all the crazy laws in this state. I have complete confidence in his advice.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. My dealer knows the laws inside and out. He's a smart guy who would never jeopardize his licenses by transferring or selling any gun that did not comply with all the crazy laws in this state. I have complete confidence in his advice.

It's still a shitty way to go as far as being a gun owner in this state is concerned- the stuff the dealers have to deal with , at their level, is not quite the same as what you have to deal
with.

So you believe him if he says Healey's 7/20 BS is law? [rofl] Because it clearly is not. (at least at this juncture).

Now if a dealer tells me "It's debatable as to whether or not her BS counts as real law, but that aside, I don't need the potential hassle from the AGs office" then I can at least respect that decision.... but that's business pragmatism/risk aversion, not law, at work. And shitloads of dealers in MA practice tons of risk aversion in their policies to different degrees. Mentally calling all of that stuff "law" just puts you at a
disadvantage.

Fun example- A few years ago one of Rugers attorneys or something tried to pull some stupid shit- trying to say they wanted to revoke compliance on the MKIII pistol in MA. Well, there is one problem with that.... MA doesn't
let you remove a gun from the list once its on there. But they doubled down on the stupid and kept telling distis that the guns were no longer MA legal, blah blah blah... but by the letter of the law in MA, that was not
true at all. I'm not sure how that plane landed but I think Ruger eventually rescinded their stupidity.... but before that, a bunch of dealers bent over and obeyed Rugers edict and did not sell the
product, because "thats what the distributors told them to do" etc.

Relying on a dealer as a sole source of MA gun law/legal advice is fraught with peril in more than one way.

-Mike

Now if a dealer tells me "It's debatable as to whether or not her BS counts as real law, but that aside, I don't need the potential hassle from the AGs office" then I can at least respect that decision.... but that's business pragmatism/risk aversion, not law, at work. And shitloads of dealers in MA practice tons of risk aversion in their policies to different degrees. Mentally calling all of that stuff "law" just puts you at a disadvantage.

Relying on a dealer as a sole source of MA gun law/legal advice is fraught with peril in more than one way.

-Mike
It is true that many dealers practice "risk aversion" and I don't blame them for doing that. With the complex tangle of laws and regulations in this state they think they have to err on the side of safety. They have a lot if not all their money in a store or business and they aren't going to jeopardize that investment lightly. Having said that there are FFLs out there who know exactly what they can and cannot do. Their licenses are just as much on the line as the "risk-averse" dealers, but the difference is that they have taken the time to read and understand the laws.
Finally, please correct me if I'm wrong but if a FFL sells / transfers a gun that you're not supposed to have, then they are on the hook, not you. They would probably lose their license but the worst that would happen to you is you would have to surrender the gun.

It is true that many dealers practice "risk aversion" and I don't blame them for doing that. With the complex tangle of laws and regulations in this state they think they have to err on the side of safety. They have a lot if not all their money in a store or business and they aren't going to jeopardize that investment lightly. Having said that there are FFLs out there who know exactly what they can and cannot do. Their licenses are just as much on the line as the "risk-averse" dealers, but the difference is that they have taken the time to read and understand the laws.
Finally, please correct me if I'm wrong but if a FFL sells / transfers a gun that you're not supposed to have, then they are on the hook, not you. They would probably lose their license but the worst that would happen to you is you would have to surrender the gun.

Not sure if serious, it depends on what kind of violation we're talking about here.

If it's something like a "non complaint" or "off list" handgun, you are under ZERO obligation to surrender that gun under any circumstances! That shit is only for dealers to obey, not you. This is because those
laws, as written, are only binding against dealers in the act of selling or transferring a handgun.

If it's something that is actually illegal (like say a gun that violates the actual MA AWB) then that's a felony and both YOU and the DEALER can both (potentially) get criminally prosecuted for that
one. There's no legal immunity there for either party, although the laws broken would be different for each party.... but the effect is the same.

-Mike

You can legally purchase any hand gun that is not an assault weapon (or full auto). If a dealer sells you something not on the list or in compliance with the AG CMRs they are liable, not you. They may be "required" to send you a letter asking for the gun back with a refund. Nothing compels you to return it. Once you buy it, its yours...

When the AG said "glocks are bad", all the dealers sent out "give me your glock back" letters. The smart people ignored them.

Back
Top Bottom