• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass. CCW holder hurting the cause

It's fine to be in a bar when armed, but stick to soda. Hell, you can also be the DD if you're going with friends, so you have a ready-made excuse for not drinking.

Wow. That story is full of fail. This guy was 21 and had his ltc. Didn't take him long to eff that up.

Did he hurt anyone?

Then who cares?

“He waited for an employee outside. He basically wanted to threaten him,” Young said.
When he observed the employee, Adames took out his loaded 9 mm pistol from his waistband, making threats before other employees assisted in getting the firearm away from him, Young said.

That would be assault with a dangerous weapon. The problem is more with the reporting than with the act, although the act is criminally stupid. If this guy wasn't licensed, it would still be assault with a dangerous weapon, but there would be more charges because of his lack of a license.

If this guy were in Vermont, he'd still be charged with assault with a dangerous weapon.

If he were in Texas, he'd still be charged with assault with a dangerous weapon.

The fact that he was licensed or not is immaterial to the crime. As is the fact that he was in a bar.

That would be assault with a dangerous weapon. The problem is more with the reporting than with the act, although the act is criminally stupid. If this guy wasn't licensed, it would still be assault with a dangerous weapon, but there would be more charges because of his lack of a license.

If this guy were in Vermont, he'd still be charged with assault with a dangerous weapon.

If he were in Texas, he'd still be charged with assault with a dangerous weapon.

The fact that he was licensed or not is immaterial to the crime. As is the fact that he was in a bar.

This. Why does one assume that the percentage of nuts with LTC is any different than the one without LTC?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

This. Why does one assume that the percentage of nuts with LTC is any different than the one without LTC?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I'd bet it's much lower. I wonder if anyone is tracking the stats of revoked LTCs and the number of crimes committed by LTC holders. If the numbers were significant you can believe they would be all over the place. Which leads me think that they are not. I think Texas does track that, and it's way below 1%.

Why can't those with permits behave themselves and stay out of bars when armed?

Because permits don't make people responsible. Just another reason why they're pointless.

On a side note - he was only 21 and still got an unrestricted LTC in Lawrence???? I sort of doubt that....

On a side note - he was only 21 and still got an unrestricted LTC in Lawrence???? I sort of doubt that....

Nothing would surprise in Lawrence... prob has a mommy or daddy with some pull. Anyone know who the licensing Officer in Lawrence is?

Lawrence man arrested after drawing pistol on bouncer at Amherst bar, police say- Had a CCW permit but was intoxicated:
http://www.gazettenet.com/2011/10/1...ed-after-drawing-pistol-on-bouncer-police-say

No wonder Mass. gun owners are so heavily restricted with nut jobs such as this. Why can't those with permits behave themselves and stay out of bars when armed?

Can we stop with the "oh some guy with an LTC got in trouble so it all makes us look bad? BS? It's absurd.

It's about as absurd as saying that ever person with a DUI makes all other drivers look bad. (Most people who get DUIs have drivers licenses too).

A license shouldn't "annoint" you like a LEO or something. It's just some stupid card we have to carry so we can stay out of jail in this s**thole while exercising our rights.

On the whole in MA crime by LTC/FID holders is effectively lost in the noise, so the fact that "OMGS HE HAD A PERMIT OH NOES!!!" is not really a huge deal here.

-Mike

Last edited:
but but but, Mike, people with LTC's are better people, aren't they?

Like aren't we super citizens since we're allowed to own firearms in MA?

Because permits don't make people responsible. Just another reason why they're pointless.

In Lawrence it could be as simple as paying off the right person or being connected...esp in Lawrence. You raise a good point though.

Nothing would surprise in Lawrence... prob has a mommy or daddy with some pull. Anyone know who the licensing Officer in Lawrence is?

This is pretty much it, lawrence isnt real big on licensing(not that many people in the city are without a criminal record).

Lt. Crockers in charge of licensing still.

No wonder Mass. gun owners are so heavily restricted with nut jobs such as this. Why can't those with permits behave themselves and stay out of bars when armed?

This has nothing to do with the current restrictions on MA LTC's. You should get a job as a reporter for CNN [thinking]

So wasn't there a thread not too long ago about someone being 21 and just getting his LTC??????????????????

This could be one of our own...

In Lawrence it could be as simple as paying off the right person or being connected...esp in Lawrence. You raise a good point though.

Does seem rather odd given his history with alcohol (and combined with the LTC being issued in Lawrence)...

Mother, teens arraigned on alcohol charges filed after student's death

By Jill Harmacinski The Eagle Tribune Thu Mar 20, 2008, 06:32 AM EDT

LAWRENCE — There's not a day Jamie Adames doesn't think of his friend Ryan Bourque, 17, who died in a car crash Thanksgiving weekend.

Yesterday was no different for the 18-year-old Central Catholic High School senior as he and three others were arraigned on alcohol-related charges stemming from underage drinking parties held just hours before Bourque's death.

"He is devastated by the loss of his friend and he's trying to cope with that loss. It weighs heavily on him every day," said Adames' lawyer, Robert Armano of Methuen.

Adames, of 3 Fulton St., along with Modesta Brito, of 433 Hampshire St., her son Edrian Brito Mendez, 17, and Geffrey Bergeron, 17, of 49 Amherst St., were all formally arraigned yesterday morning on criminal charges in Lawrence District Court.

http://www.google.com/search?q="Jam....,cf.osb&fp=18037e6ec7b9ae46&biw=1440&bih=660

If this had happened in just about any pro 2nd amendment state, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but in MA?

Seems like even if he was from a Green community the CLEO would have either denied him an LTC, or at least told him to hold off and wait awhile.

I think there is stigma in MA about guns that keeps people ignorant unless they actively seek responsible people to teach them good gun culture. People like this will happen from time to time, but they will happen less if the public conversation around the second amendment is more informative.

I am responsible for my actions and mine alone. I cannot and choose to not control or blame others for them.

And you can eff off for thinking this has any barring on us those who follow the law and act accordingly. Do not lump me in with those who do not just because we share a same hobby. He chose to do this and should pay for his actions, and him alone

Recently down in WV I enjoyed 9 PBR bottles, a shot of Jaeger, and 10 hot wings in a bar all while carrying a j-frame and speedloader. My 10-10-10 plan![rofl]

It didn't make the news? You guys didn't have a 3 page thread on it?[laugh]

For some, carrying while drunk is a problem because of their personality. I however, don't think I should be disarmed and left vulnerable because I'm drunk. I don't get into fights/disagreements because I'm not an idiot.

If I am carrying I try not to imbibe, just my own preference. I like to drive fast and the last thing I need is to get pulled over and be pulled out of the car smelling like booze and carrying a gun.. I agree with those that say it's a "personal" responsibility because that's exactly what it is. stupid people do stupid things and that's what this case is plain and simple. a dumb ass fool with no personal control..

I'm 22, they gave me ltc in waltham but with hunting and target restriction because 'they didn't "know" me', until renewal then will be unrestricted.

In a green community now though.. maybe should have waited a few months

Back
Top Bottom