• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Bear Season 2020 Dates Confusion.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
The black bear season dates that are printed on your bear permit are wrong and the dates printed in the abstracts are also incorrect.

This is what is printed on my permit:

DD23-B008-1-ADD-4-CEB-9561-56066-AF73-BA3.jpg

This is what is published Online and appears to be correct:

2211-E949-1956-4-B5-A-B0-BE-91420-DA7-ADDE.png

This is the CMR that defines the black bear hunting season dates which agrees with the dates published Online:

507-AA386-D12-A-4-C2-D-9-BD7-DF884207-DE75.png

I did email DFW Early last week just to be certain but they haven’t replied and it’s been a week so I’m guessing that I won’t hear from them. If I do hear from them I will post the response.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Bob

Just checked with a friend of mine who bear hunts. The bear permit he printed back in February has the same incorrect information as you posted. He reprinted that same bear permit when he printed his doe tag (beginning of August) and the information was corrected. The problem was "fixed" at some point inbetween

I’ll have to double check mine as I printed the hard copy just 2 days ago.

Just checked with a friend of mine who bear hunts. The bear permit he printed back in February has the same incorrect information as you posted. He reprinted that same bear permit when he printed his doe tag (beginning of August) and the information was corrected. The problem was "fixed" at some point inbetween

That’s when I printed mine so that makes sense. It would be nice If DFW would reply to confirm. My guess is that they will probably put a blurb in their newsletter.

I just don’t want to see anyone get pinched for the state’s stupidity.

Bob

Oh man have a good hunt & good luck, that sounds like so much fun.

How much would it cost to get into this for next year? Guide needed?

Oh man have a good hunt & good luck, that sounds like so much fun.

How much would it cost to get into this for next year? Guide needed?

$5.00 for the permit. No guides needed as was mentioned by Dan, and you don’t need to wait until next year.

Mo bait or dogs for bear hunting in Massachusetts. The definition of baiting in the regulations is all encompassing. The abstracts say no baiting but you really have to read the actual law to stay out of trouble here.

This is the definition of bait in Massachusetts as it pertains to bear hunting:
Bait means any natural or artificial substance, including but not restricted to, shucked or unshucked corn or other grains, apples or other fruits or vegetables, honey, molasses, anise or other spices, pastries or other breadstuffs, meat or fish products, or any other substances or products which may be fed upon, ingested by, or which otherwise constitute a nutritive attraction or enticement to bear.

Baited Area means any area where baiting has taken place and such area shall remain a baited area for the period from ten days prior to the opening of the September portion of the bear season as provided in 321 CMR 3.02(1)(b) to 12:00 P.M. on the day following the close of the November portion of the bear season as provided in 321 CMR 3.02(1)(b), all days inclusive.

Baiting means the placement, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of any bait or other substance so as to constitute for bears a lure or attraction to areas where hunters are attempting to take them.

That really only leaves a few options for hunting bears in Massachusetts:

1. Spot and stalk/hunt power lines.
2. Hunt over natural foods look berries, beech nuts, apples, and acorns.
3. Make friends with a corn farmer. Bears love the corn and can do a lot of damage.
4. Use predator calls to try and pull them in and whack them when they circle down wind. The ultimate Guide to Black Bear Hunting by Douglas Boze is a great read for calling bears with predator calls.

Bob

$5.00 for the permit. No guides needed as was mentioned by Dan, and you don’t need to wait until next year.

Mo bait or dogs for bear hunting in Massachusetts. The definition of baiting in the regulations is all encompassing. The abstracts say no baiting but you really have to read the actual law to stay out of trouble here.

This is the definition of bait in Massachusetts as it pertains to bear hunting:
Bait means any natural or artificial substance, including but not restricted to, shucked or unshucked corn or other grains, apples or other fruits or vegetables, honey, molasses, anise or other spices, pastries or other breadstuffs, meat or fish products, or any other substances or products which may be fed upon, ingested by, or which otherwise constitute a nutritive attraction or enticement to bear.

Baited Area means any area where baiting has taken place and such area shall remain a baited area for the period from ten days prior to the opening of the September portion of the bear season as provided in 321 CMR 3.02(1)(b) to 12:00 P.M. on the day following the close of the November portion of the bear season as provided in 321 CMR 3.02(1)(b), all days inclusive.

Baiting means the placement, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of any bait or other substance so as to constitute for bears a lure or attraction to areas where hunters are attempting to take them.

That really only leaves a few options for hunting bears in Massachusetts:

1. Spot and stalk/hunt power lines.
2. Hunt over natural foods look berries, beech nuts, apples, and acorns.
3. Make friends with a corn farmer. Bears love the corn and can do a lot of damage.
4. Use predator calls to try and pull them in and whack them when they circle down wind. The ultimate Guide to Black Bear Hunting by Douglas Boze is a great read for calling bears with predator calls.

Bob

Great information, I'll look further into this for this year possibly, likely next year. Thank you very much

Great information, I'll look further into this for this year possibly, likely next year. Thank you very much

If you are going to hunt deer pick up a tag. The bear season overlaps part of the archery season andruns concurrently with the shotgun season for deer. Slugs only for bear no buckshot.

Bob

If you are going to hunt deer pick up a tag. The bear season overlaps part of the archery season andruns concurrently with the shotgun season for deer. Slugs only for bear no buckshot.

Bob

May as well I suppose. I have 0 connections however in the common parts of MA people seem to be hunting bear. How many bear are killed each year in this state, I'd imagine not that many.

May as well I suppose. I have 0 connections however in the common parts of MA people seem to be hunting bear. How many bear are killed each year in this state, I'd imagine not that many.

If you don‘t pick up the tag and one walks by you May regret it.

207 was the kill total last year. More info can be found here:

Bob

I didn’t get out yesterday as planned. Life happened and it was a little too hot out. I’ll be out there with the cooler weather after tomorrow though.

Back
Top Bottom