• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass AWB and FFL Selling Question

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I think I know the answer to this already, but I just wanted to confirm before I make a purchase mistake. As some of you may know, I'm on the hunt for a AR platform in 308. I've sold an AR-15, so I have the cash ready to buy one once I find the rifle I want.

So, I get a PM from a dealer with an offer and he tells me to come to his shop and we'll work out a deal. So today I stopped into his shop to see if I can work a deal. He shows me a DPMS Panther LR-308. It's one of the models I want with a dust cover and forward assist, so I start looking it over.

First thing I notice is that it has a bayo lug. I also notice it has the DPMS Flash Hider. This is a post ban rifle. The rifle comes with two mags. He shows me the mags and they are both post ban high cap mags that come with the rifle in free states. Overall I really wanted to buy this rifle as the price was right, but was concerned that once I bought it I would be on the hook for violating the State's AWB if something every happened.

I know that if an FFL is willing to sell you a handgun that's not on the approved list, it's the FFLs choice and the buyer is protected. In this instance, I don't think that same scenario covers me with AWB violations.

Am I correct in this?

You are.

Your possession of a post-ban "assault weapon" is a crime.

So is the possession of an post-ban "large capacity feeding device."

And you will face a separate charge for EACH magazine.

I know that if an FFL is willing to sell you a handgun that's not on the approved list, it's the FFLs choice and the buyer is protected. In this instance, I don't think that same scenario covers me with AWB violations.
You are correct. Possessing that rifle and those magazines would be a felony.

Thanks everyone for the information. That's what I had thought, but wanted to make sure. I'm passing on the DPMS. I actually found a Rock River Arms LAR-8, which is RRA's version of the AR-10. Best part of the RRA line is that they accept both versions of pre-ban FAL 20rnd mags. A defininte plus here in Mass.

Thanks again.

If an ffl honestly tried to get you to commit a felony,call them out.

Yes, please do, so we can get some more dealers shut down in this state. [rolleyes]

If every shop was shut down that, at one time, may have sold or offered for sale, something that was "illegal" then we'd be left with like 5 shops in the whole state. Bear in mind of course most in LE or even BATFE wouldn't be able to spot many things which are "illegal" which only illustrates the absurdity of the laws.

This is an obvious case of "Buyer Beware" but I think dropping a dime on the dealer is a bit much.

ETA: To take this to its logical conclusion, should we rat out dealers that give out bad legal advice? After all, the repercussions are potentially exactly the same if you follow that bad advice. You don't want to know the number of dealers that have told me things which were blatantly illegal. (EG, for example, many say that transporting a handgun with a trigger lock will protect you.... which we all know is crap. ) If you're going to start ratting on dealers, don't forget these guys, too... they're almost, and potentially more dangerous than the ones selling you a gun with a bayo lug on
it.

I'm still trying to figure out why gun owners want to be "legally babysat" by LEOs and Gun Shops. It's almost like they're embracing the love of the nanny state- unable or unwilling to figure out the law on their own, or unwilling to seek assistance from reputable sources. Instead, they WANT to be fed "rotten pablum" from people who are "supposed to be" reputable. It just evades me.

(To be perfectly clear- this is not a crack against the OP.... who bothered to ask the question, but rather a crack against those who expect a dealer or a LEO to steer them right every time, as if they're a lost child in a mall or something.... hint- you're not- most of us are adults -as far as I know. ) This means at one point or another we gotta learn to fight our way out of the paper bag on our own.
[laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom