• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Archery Opener Tomorrow

Just got out here and built a natural blind right off of a deer highway. Put up some doe urine wafers and blowing my ez grunt every so often. Haven't seen of heard anything yet ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350389154.106718.jpg

Good luck to everyone getting out. I'm hoping to find sometime to get out with the bow. Time is a precious commodity right now, have a 2 month old and a 4.5 year old at home so it's hard to leave them and get out when I have some time off from work. But I do have some vacation saved up so I will get out at some point. Looking forward to seeing some nice pics on here.

Ended my session early. Dropped my bow and somehow a broad head clipped my cable. F***ing s**t.

Bummer !! Hope you can get it restrung quickly... I remember a month or so ago, a member offered to lend an extra bow to someone to try archery for the season. IIRC, he did not take him up on his offer, so maybe someone will be willing to lend you one while you get yours fixed?

One down and another lesson learned. I was using these: RedHead® Gator Expandable Broad heads. I obviously hit the shoulder. Partly my fault, partly the deer reacting to the shot. The combination nearly proved in a non-recovery. That shot was from about 8 yards at a steep angle. It made one hell of a Thwack !!. When she ran, she spit the arrow about 60 yards away and kept going. I gave it 3 hours and checked the arrow. NO blood. I saw 1 drop about the size of a dime !! Don't be fooled by Free-Floating blades. I found the blades in the closed position. That combined with the lack of blood starting me thinking what the *&&^%. It never even opened !! Based on the glob of fat and hair I figured I got at least 4-5" of penetration so I started a search. I glassed and started in the general direction of the last seen point, all the while NO blood. I ended up finding her about 200 yards from the hit. That broad head hit like Thor and there is zero damage to it. By the way I'm only shooting at about 58 pounds. Don't give up on marginally hit deer. The key is not to push them to soon !!!

View attachment 42119

I bagged a nice six point yesterday morning.
Got him at 815 am , home by 930 am and since it so warm cut him up by noon.
10 yard quartering shot. Complete pass through with a NAP Thunderhead. Slipped it in at about the third rib on his left side and exited behind his shoulder on the opposite.
He went about 30 yards and fell over. Perfect.
He was with a small doe and as soon as he smelled the buck urine I had out he beelined right to it.
003.JPG

Last edited:
Ended my session early. Dropped my bow and somehow a broad head clipped my cable. F***ing s**t.

I hope you have good luck getting it turned around quickly!

I always break in a set and take them off and keep them on hand for just such an occurrence.

Maybe something to think about.

Bummer !! Hope you can get it restrung quickly... I remember a month or so ago, a member offered to lend an extra bow to someone to try archery for the season. IIRC, he did not take him up on his offer, so maybe someone will be willing to lend you one while you get yours fixed?

Thanks for the info!! I dropped it off to Jim at archery & Arms to get taken care of. In the meantime, I made due with something else !!!

View attachment 42133

That was me. I he did take my spare bow to try out. I would offer it if I had it still.

One down and another lesson learned. I was using these: RedHead® Gator Expandable Broad heads. I obviously hit the shoulder. Partly my fault, partly the deer reacting to the shot. The combination nearly proved in a non-recovery. That shot was from about 8 yards at a steep angle. It made one hell of a Thwack !!. When she ran, she spit the arrow about 60 yards away and kept going. I gave it 3 hours and checked the arrow. NO blood. I saw 1 drop about the size of a dime !! Don't be fooled by Free-Floating blades. I found the blades in the closed position. That combined with the lack of blood starting me thinking what the *&&^%. It never even opened !! Based on the glob of fat and hair I figured I got at least 4-5" of penetration so I started a search. I glassed and started in the general direction of the last seen point, all the while NO blood. I ended up finding her about 200 yards from the hit. That broad head hit like Thor and there is zero damage to it. By the way I'm only shooting at about 58 pounds. Don't give up on marginally hit deer. The key is not to push them to soon !!!

View attachment 42119

They opened, no way it did enough damage with such a shallow penetration without opening. When the arrow backed out of the deer it closed them back up.

Either way you got lucky to find that deer. Congrats!!

I would never consider using a mechanical broadhead shooting low poundage. Definitley not a bargain brand either. I shoot NAP spitfires out of an 80 pound Hoyt Vortec that pushes 525 grain arrows near 290 fps. That results in about 92 foot pounds of energy. Extra energy is your friend with mechanicals.

Two years ago I shot 2 deer directly thru the shoulders. One a doe, intentionally at 15 yards. Small spot and I wanted to anchor it so it would not die in someones back yard. The second a 150 pound 8 point at 40 yards that I pulled the shot a little. Both passed thru. The first was buried 8" in the ground. The second arrow exploded on a rock directly behind the buck.

Long story short, shooting lower energy bow one is better off with a fixed blade and dont skimp on quality to save a few bucks. You owe it to your quarry to use the best tool for the job.

They opened, no way it did enough damage with such a shallow penetration without opening. When the arrow backed out of the deer it closed them back up.

Either way you got lucky to find that deer. Congrats!!

I would never consider using a mechanical broadhead shooting low poundage.

Point taken. And yes there are certain broadheads that based on the manufacturer's recommendation require "X" poundage to properly deploy. However, I've never shot over 60 lbs and I've been using various mechanical's for years with out a failure to deploy. (Wasp,NAP,G5)

Being able to pull 80 is a huge advantage. What's your 1 pin range at 80 ?

1 pin range is not drastically different. What is different is the fact I can shoot an arrow considerabally heavier at a comparable velocity therefore carrying much greater amount of kinetic energy to target. Extra energy is like an insurance plan. Lighter arrows may bounce off of bone where mine have broken and passed thru shoulders and leg bones.

Back
Top Bottom