Mass AR transfer

Looking for a little advice and/or insight. Recently won a ruger 556 thru a raffle. However was told that it couldn't be transferred to a mass resident. Would like to make sure that's the case before I lose the opportunity to own a great rifle. If nothing else hopefully avoid future issues with growing my collection in future.

I know it's not mass compliant at the moment as it has a6 position stock but that could be rectified and transferred after the changes were made current?

Looking for a little advice and/or insight. Recently won a ruger 556 thru a raffle. However was told that it couldn't be transferred to a mass resident. Would like to make sure that's the case before I lose the opportunity to own a great rifle. If nothing else hopefully avoid future issues with growing my collection in future.

I know it's not mass compliant at the moment as it has a6 position stock but that could be rectified and transferred after the changes were made current?
nice try Maura

Saw your post on the GOM facebook group but didn't bother commenting as I know the mods would threaten me like they normally do saying its illegal etc. Almost that entire group believes Healey's press release is actual LAW. :rolleyes:

They regurgitate the same shit over and over again. "An AR must be fixed mag OR must be pre-1994". Um no that's incorrect.

I'm pretty sure you can have that transferred in MA legally. It just comes down to finding a willing dealer. Of course there will need to be some compliance work done.

Last edited:

Whoever you won the Ruger from is probably using Maura Healey's bullshit edict to makes their decision to not ship here.

Maura Healey's edict was only a scare tactic used to scare out of state and MA FFLs from selling ARs and AKs to MA residents and has no legal bearing at all, but it has done its job.

Even if the vendor sending the rifle was cool with transferring a AR to a Mass resident, you still would need to find a MA FFL who isn't scared of transferring in an AR.

Unfortunately you usually can't change the minds of vendors or FFLs if they are adamant with not transferring to Mass and also the MA FFLs who have given into Healey's fear mongering.

I suggest asking for a cash prize and then use the $ to buy a rifle in state.

If they flat out won't ship to a MA dealer, then you might need to ship to a NH dealer who is then willing to ship to a MA dealer.

Saw your post on the GOM facebook group but didn't bother commenting as I know the mods would threaten me like they normally do saying its illegal etc. Almost that entire group believes Healey's press release is actual LAW. :rolleyes:

They regurgitate the same shit over and over again. "An AR must be fixed mag OR must be pre-1994". Um no that's incorrect.

I'm pretty sure you can have that transferred in MA legally. It just comes down to finding a willing dealer. Of course there will need to be some compliance work done.
I think that all the Mods there are MA dealers, so they toe the line and preach it, with no tolerance for dissent.

Whoever you won the Ruger from is probably using Maura Healey's bullshit edict to makes their decision to not ship here.

Maura Healey's edict was only a scare tactic used to scare out of state and MA FFLs from selling ARs and AKs to MA residents and has no legal bearing at all, but it has done its job.

Even if the vendor sending the rifle was cool with transferring a AR to a Mass resident, you still would need to find a MA FFL who isn't scared of transferring in an AR.

Unfortunately you usually can't change the minds of vendors or FFLs if they are adamant with not transferring to Mass and also the MA FFLs who have given into Healey's fear mongering.

I suggest asking for a cash prize and then use the $ to buy a rifle in state.
Problem is they award you msrp value, when Massachusetts value is much higher. Here's $800 for the rifle, which might cover 1/3 the cost of the same rifle here in MA via private sale

Problem is they award you msrp value, when Massachusetts value is much higher. Here's $800 for the rifle, which might cover 1/3 the cost of the same rifle here in MA via private sale

While that can be true, one could find a decently priced lower and build off it to bring the price down. Still might end up a pinch higher than a free state, but still most likely cheaper than the going rate for a complete P2P sale, particularly if it is titled "pre healey"

While that can be true, one could find a decently priced lower and build off it to bring the price down. Still might end up a pinch higher than a free state, but still most likely cheaper than the going rate for a complete P2P sale, particularly if it is titled "pre healey"
Lol none of that is really viable right now unless you have some connections the parts market is in the process of rapid deterioration....

Lol none of that is really viable right now unless you have some connections the parts market is in the process of rapid deterioration....

That's true. BCG's and uppers are tough to source now. Not impossible, but you may not find exactly what you want. Still, it is possible. Just difficult with a lot of time spent searching and potential compromises in part selection.

This is very true. Everything is pricey now across the country but here in MA, prices are even higher. One of the reasons I like to buy all my firearm stuff off of ARFCOM.

That's true. BCG's and uppers are tough to source now. Not impossible, but you may not find exactly what you want. Still, it is possible. Just difficult with a lot of time spent searching and potential compromises in part selection.

Again, ARFCOM EE - I just bought a PSA FA BCG from someone for $120 shipped. You can find other BCGs from $100 to $150. Just gotta move quick to take it once listed. I just bought a complete upper (without BCG) and a Noveske KX3 package for $100. Deals are to be found. If you have an FFL who doesn't care about transferring in lowers, you can also find those on there for decent prices (considering the climate).

Raffles MUST award the winner. If they can't award you with the rifle, then request the cash equivalent. Then take that cash and buy an AR.
Have to read the T's and C's of the contest. It may state it must be legal to accept in your state of residence, blah, blah... but often do have cash MSRP equivalent prizes.

Again, ARFCOM EE - I just bought a PSA FA BCG from someone for $120 shipped. You can find other BCGs from $100 to $150. Just gotta move quick to take it once listed. I just bought a complete upper (without BCG) and a Noveske KX3 package for $100. Deals are to be found. If you have an FFL who doesn't care about transferring in lowers, you can also find those on there for decent prices (considering the climate).

Yeah, it is better now than it was previously (due to the size of the AR manufacturing market increasing) but if you have to go scrambling around like that, we're entering table scraps mode.

Have to read the T's and C's of the contest. It may state it must be legal to accept in your state of residence, blah, blah... but often do have cash MSRP equivalent prizes.
Regardless of what's actually being raffled, all raffles in the states have to follow strict guidelines in order to clearly delineate themselves from a lottery, which would not be legal unless licensed by the lottery commission (unlikely). This may include that the prize has to be funded either partially or in whole by the raffle ticket sales (varies by state) and that the award must be awarded to the winner (ie. no zero winner draws). In order to fulfill this latter guideline, the raffle holder would have to return or liquidate the prize and offer the funds to the winner.

Yeah, it is better now than it was previously (due to the size of the AR manufacturing market increasing) but if you have to go scrambling around like that, we're entering table scraps mode.

Yea I don't even bother checking vendor websites anymore - "You get an OOS! You get an OOS! Everyone gets an OOS!"

The mods are dealers one of which is the largest fixed mag AR lower seller in the state. Yes, they believe it and live it and how dare you try and teach them civics. The AG (executive branch) does not make law (that is the legislative branch). The AG (executive branch) does not interpret the law (that is the judicial branch). But good luck teaching that to the people involved.

There are ways and FFLs that will facilitate what you need to do but I will not lay it out or name names. Some FFLs understand the difference between the law and a press conference.

Last edited:
Which if you are dealing with "Healey Compliance" is still an assault weapon. That is the underlying problem, the enforcement notice and people's acting like it is the law. But it does not hurt to try. You will still have to find the "right" FFL to have any chance of the transfer happening.

I think that all the Mods there are MA dealers, so they toe the line and preach it, with no tolerance for dissent.
They are dealers and/or cops. So they REALLY have to tow the line.
Suggest you go on the group and ask about FFLs in "The Mill".

Other than that. have it transferred to a NH dealer. Worst case, that dealer will sell the gun on consignment for you and give you the cash.

The mods are dealers one of which is the largest fixed mag AR lower seller in the state. Yes, they believe it and live it and how dare you try and teach them civics. The AG (executive branch) does not make law (that is the legislative branch). The AG (executive branch) does not interpret the law (that is the judicial branch). But good luck teaching that to the people involved.

There are ways and FFLs that will facilitate what you need to do but I will not lay it out or name names. Some FFLs understand the difference between the law and a press conference.
I’m well aware of the civics. I owned the forum before I even became an FFL. Alot of people seem to leave out that “copies and duplicates” is in 121 itself...nobody really defined that until MH did in 2016. I have zero desire to test the waters, and although I disagree with other dealers who are willing to do so, I commend them. Now add to the equation that I have paid the defense for someone in court, and you should see why I don’t venture into a gray area for a side gig. Alot of people who are not FFL’s and have zero skin in the game like to talk down about someone like me, but I would love to see them all open up shop and sell them. Also, alot of other people fail to see what I am doing with my fixed mags...think outside the box.

Back
Top Bottom