Mass an Open Carry State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing from people that Mass is an open carry state. I've never seen or read this anywhere. Can anyone confirm this with proof? I know NH is but they don't encourage it....

There is no law prohibiting it.

That beign said, were you to OC, there'd probably be a "man with gun" call or twenty to the local PD.

This would make them testy when it came time to renew, if not before....as a suitability issue.

That's why "concealed means Concealed" is a mantra around here.

There are many things that are leagal, and still unwise.....

There's no law against it. That doesn't mean you won't have your rights trampled on due to some day lady getting his panties in a bunch and calling the police. I'm sure you'll be locked up for not breaking the law shortly after that. Loss of license due to unsuitability shortly thereafter. Better have deep, deep pockets to fight it.

There is no law that bans open carry in mass.

That being said, if you do open carry prepare for a beat down and having your LTC revoked for suitability and possibly a charge of brandishing.

This is mass, just because it is not outlawed, does not mean its ok.

Same here. It's technically legal to open carry with an LTC, but a CLEO can decide you are "unfit" by doing so and pull your permit. It's not worth the hassle here.

For the 65,536th time, there is no law against OC in MA.

Have fun with the cops though when some moonbat calls them on you. [laugh]

-Mike

Go right ahead and go for open carry. But can you do us a favor and post here when and where you will be open carrying? Give us enough warning so that we can come and point and laugh when you get arrested for contempt of cop.

This plays into the suitability clause in the licensing laws in MA. Since it is 100% up to the discretion of the licensing officer, he could quite easily draw a line between your desire to openly carry a firearm and a state of mind that he deems not suited to be permitted to own a firearm.

Or the officer could use the assault charge brought against you to justify the revocation of your license.

Hell, you could be wearing socks with sandals and the officer could revoke your license. They don't need a reason. Don't give them and softball toss and let them swing.

Since it's not illegal to open carry in MA, what's better to open carry? 9mm or 45acp? What if there's bears in the street?

Since it's not illegal to open carry in MA, what's better to open carry? 9mm or 45acp? What if there's bears in the street?

Careful before some nitwit shoots the bruins mascot outside the Garden..

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who's restriction was that he had to open carry. Yeah, he was hassled by the cops now and then, but he could not conceal so that's what he had to deal with. The COP knew this would happen to him and was probably LOL when he put that restriction on the LTC.

What about jogging with an AR15?

Barrett M-82A1
just my opinion though. Not the best CQB weapon but still AWESOME!!!

That won't work, long guns must be in a case.

Finally, a sensible response!

I believe there is someone in western MA that does practice open carry. He gets away with it because his chief knows it's not illegal.

Seriously though, open carry would be an interesting test in MA right now. If someone did do it under the right circumstances and had their license revoked, there would be a very clear opportunity to successfully challenge suitability. However, I think the effort would ultimately backfire. This is probably the only thing that might motivate the legislature to take action with regards to guns. If open carry incidents were to make it into the news and it was made clear that it's legal, I think the legislature would be very tempted to ban open carry.

I find it more than repulsive that any LEO would take action against any licensee for open carry in MA. They carry openly, in uniform and out of uniform......they are no better than you or I as much as many of them might think they are.

Why isn't an out of uniform cop deemed just as unsuitable as a chief might deem anyone else? The double standard is illegal and dispicable.

Honestly if you do it right, most people will likely think youre a cop, this is MA and the sheeple dont think anyone but cops would carry in public anyway.

I've been hearing from people that Mass is an open carry state. I've never seen or read this anywhere. Can anyone confirm this with proof? I know NH is but they don't encourage it....

Give it a try. Whats the worst that could happen?[wink]

Hell, you could be wearing socks with sandals and the officer could revoke your license.

I am actually in agreement with this. Your license should definitely be revoked if you wear socks with sandals. If they are dark socks you should be deemed unsuitable for life.[laugh]

Last edited:

There is no law against it, if that is what you are asking. I've seen people open carry before in MA with no ill effects. Once it was in a breakfast joint owned by a cop and his wife. NBD.

There is no law against it, if that is what you are asking. I've seen people open carry before in MA with no ill effects. Once it was in a breakfast joint owned by a cop and his wife. NBD.

Was that in eastern MA, within 128? Didn't think so.

But, whatever. You don't like "negativity" -- what the rest of us consider to be the unfortunate reality. Whatever, dude. Come on down into Boston carrying openly. It's no big deal. The Boston PD will love you. Really. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
However, I think the effort would ultimately backfire. This is probably the only thing that might motivate the legislature to take action with regards to guns. If open carry incidents were to make it into the news and it was made clear that it's legal, I think the legislature would be very tempted to ban open carry.

This is exactly what happened with the black radicals in 1960's California exercised open carry rights with long guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom