Mass AK thread.

A post 89 import ban, KBI import SA-85M for the price of a pre 89 ban Kassnar!? Are they kidding? I have one I'd sell for less than that.

Is it fixed stock Kassnar? Deal. Where do you want to do the transfer?

No it is a thumbhole KBI just like the one that dealer is selling for $2500. I'm marveling at how it is priced like a Kassnar. I have a Kassnar underfolder as well.

$2500 give or take what a Kassnar underfolder would fetch. The fixed stock Kassnars sell for a little more.

No it is a thumbhole KBI just like the one that dealer is selling for $2500. I'm marveling at how it is priced like a Kassnar. I have a Kassnar underfolder as well.

$2500 give or take what a Kassnar underfolder would fetch. The fixed stock Kassnars sell for a little more.

That Gunbroker auction is on its third listing, the seller tried selling it twice at $2950.

Gotta check completed auctions, active ones are inaccurate for determining value.

That Gunbroker auction is on its third listing, the seller tried selling it twice at $2950.

Gotta check completed auctions, active ones are inaccurate for determining value.

Thanks for the tip. All the more reason why an SA-85M imported post 1989 with KBI markings is not worth half of the $2500 it is listed for. I bought mine for $800 in 2019 and the guy was probably laughing to himself that I was willing to pay $800 for a rifle he paid $400 for. With the current AK market I don't think it was too bad of a deal.

Thanks for the tip. All the more reason why an SA-85M imported post 1989 with KBI markings is not worth half of the $2500 it is listed for. I bought mine for $800 in 2019 and the guy was probably laughing to himself that I was willing to pay $800 for a rifle he paid $400 for. With the current AK market I don't think it was too bad of a deal.
Those days are over. You got a great deal, but you know that...

I'll say this, demand for guns is going down, including AKs. Atlantic Firearms used to have no AKs at all. Now, they're keeping the high end stuff like SAM7s and M91 DMRs in stock for weeks, meaning those aren't selling. The junk guns like VSKAs also aren't selling, which is good. Means people aren't buying everything available.

So, I'd say wait six months to a year or two unless OP wants a special, currently imported gun, like the FB Radom, WBP, and Zastava guns.

Those days are over. You got a great deal, but you know that...
Don't ask me what I paid for my Kassnar underfolder back when I lived in Mass. When I moved to NH I started looking for a WASR or something to "modernize" and found the KBI SA-85M for around what WASRs were going for at the time. For those of you in Mass, I am not entirely sure KBI's are all preban. I think many are but some may have come in after Sept. 1994 or whenever it was.

I'm looking at recent gunbroker finished auctions and the KBI's seem to be selling for $1200-1400 which is the same as a new WBP Fox from Atlantic.

In case anyone wanted a conclusion to what i did. I ended up with another mak 90 and this is the final product. The pics made the red look real bright but its a tad darker than the pics show. Added muzzle slant, did some wood work and added a bonesteel side fold stock.

Attachments

• mak folder 1.jpg
    mak folder 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • mak folder.jpg
    mak folder.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
In case anyone wanted a conclusion to what i did. I ended up with another mak 90 and this is the final product. The pics made the red look real bright but its a tad darker than the pics show. Added muzzle slant, did some wood work and added a bonesteel side fold stock.
Looks great, brother, congratulations.

Man now I’m bitten by the folding stock bug. I want to see if they have a model which would fit my slant cut receiver so I sent them an email. Fingers crossed.

I keep owning and then selling AKs with folding stocks, whether side- or under-. I always think I'll love them, but never do.

I've learned by now, lol. There are more out there for you guys, in other words.

I ended up calling Bonesteel and they confirmed that their MAK90 folding stocks will work for slant cut receivers.

ETA: Did you go with the Warsaw L.O.P or NATO L.O.P? I'm 5'8" but don't like being crunched into my rifle so I'm actually leaning towards the NATO option.

Last edited:
I ended up calling Bonesteel and they confirmed that their MAK90 folding stocks will work for slant cut receivers.

ETA: Did you go with the Warsaw L.O.P or NATO L.O.P? I'm 5'8" but don't like being crunched into my rifle so I'm actually leaning towards the NATO option.
I went with the Warsaw length. I am 5"5 and have Trex arms. So the warsaw was the way to go for me. Great quality stock though. It was worth the wait.

Agree, they don't shoot as good as they look, just not comfortable...
the one exception I’ve found that’s commercially available is the (I know, I know) Magpul Zhukov. I’m not a magpul furniture fanboy, but this stock just friggen works. I have one on my Arsenal 107 and it’s REALLY comfy considering it’s on a 7.62 gun.

NOW...you wanna talk uncomfortable...ever shoot an under folder? Ouchies!!!

the one exception I’ve found that’s commercially available is the (I know, I know) Magpul Zhukov. I’m not a magpul furniture fanboy, but this stock just friggen works. I have one on my Arsenal 107 and it’s REALLY comfy considering it’s on a 7.62 gun.

NOW...you wanna talk uncomfortable...ever shoot an under folder? Ouchies!!!
Maybe its because i am a smaller guy but that bonesteel stock feels comfortable to me. Everyone is built different so its hard to know with out getting a feel for it.

How is the length of pull on that compared to the standard fixed stock? I had an folding adapter for the MAK that went to 10-32 style stocks, and with a triangle stock it was 2+ inches more in length of pull. Too long

How is the length of pull on that compared to the standard fixed stock? I had an folding adapter for the MAK that went to 10-32 style stocks, and with a triangle stock it was 2+ inches more in length of pull. Too long
I didn't notice much difference. This stock may be just a tad shorter. It was warsaw length which i think is 12.5". It definitely got lighter with this stock.

Back
Top Bottom