• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass 2019 turkey season may have increased bag limits!

whacko

NES Member
Mass f and g is proposing changes to the turkey regulations this spring. According to the information on the f and g site the turkey population is strong, and increasing year over year while harvest numbers the last few years are stable so.......

Some of the proposed changes include:

3 birds per year (2 bearded in spring plus a fall bird)

2 per day in spring season (currently one per day)

Bow hunters to be able to harvest a bird throughout all of archery deer season

Unfilled youth day tags able to be used in fall

Youth turkey day hours extended from half hour before sunrise to 5pm (currently closes at noon).

MassWildlife seeks feedback on potential turkey hunting changes

When you have turkeys in the middle of 100,000 population cities, it's time to take the hunting limits OFF! Maybe restrict it to 1 or 2 birds a day and see how many are taken.

When you have turkeys in the middle of 100,000 population cities, it's time to take the hunting limits OFF! Maybe restrict it to 1 or 2 birds a day and see how many are taken.
Maybe go the way Florida has and allow rifles for turkey. Would definitely increase the hunter success rate.

Probably never happen in this state. I could see hunting with a scope and a 22LR or big birds. That would be fun but add in a whole new perspective on where you would set up for a safe shot.

Probably never happen in this state. I could see hunting with a scope and a 22LR or big birds. That would be fun but add in a whole new perspective on where you would set up for a safe shot.
Also I didn't think of the hunter orange safety concern. I would not want to be in full camo on a field edge sharing that spot with other hunters when rifles are allowed. I didn't think that one all the way through. Lol

I've deer hunted in orange and if you stay still and have the scent and wind right, deer can walk within feet of you. If you stay still, I've had a few flocks of turkeys walk close as well. I don't think Orange and turkeys are a bad mix.

I've deer hunted in orange and if you stay still and have the scent and wind right, deer can walk within feet of you. If you stay still, I've had a few flocks of turkeys walk close as well. I don't think Orange and turkeys are a bad mix.
City turkeys don’t care

Deer don't see the orange well. Turkey do. They have exceptional eyesight actually.

They do. Their eyes gather light on the blue side of the spectrum better than the red. But deer are technically blind by human standards. They use their eyes to pick up motion rather than identify objects.

This isn't to say they can't see at all. But if you stay still, and have some cover or camo to break up your outline, they'll walk right past you.

Turkey on the other hand.... They see very well.

How about running them over with your car?

Or smack them with a shovel because they won't leave the yard.

It's amazing what introduction. . . . 40 or so years ago did to the turkey population in New England. Bumper crops of the things. Stranger still - I haven't heard a 'yote howl in a long time behind my house. Seems with a large population of game birds, they'd be more robust packs. Unless one of you Tauntonians are taking them out.

I had a buck walk right up to me this deer season. Saw it about 100 yards off. Bee lined right at me. Looked at me several times on the way in. Stood there 15 feet away staring at me trying to figure out what I was. Orange vest & hat (otherwise camo). Didn't really pan out for him.

Back
Top Bottom