Masks and youth soccer in MA

ekalb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Big lurker here, but not much of a poster. I figured this audience may have some advice for an issue we are having.

My 11 year old daughter plays private club youth soccer on the south shore of MA. They got their guidance for "return to play" from mayouthsoccer.org who gets their guidance from the MA EEA Office (link below for anyone that cares). These governing bodies have said that spectators must wear masks. Anyways, I have gone to almost all practices an hour away from my home several times a week and all games so far during the past three months since they have been allowed to return to play. I have not worn a mask once since its outside, I can easily stay away from others, and my own feelings about their effectiveness. I have had direct communication with the coach several times in person and also with a few other staff members. My lack of mask has never been brought up once. The kids wear the masks around their chin, on top of their head, etc. The parents mostly half ass it all while sitting elbow to elbow drinking whatever the trendy fall coffee flavor is and we have all coexisted nicely.

Yesterday, the director walked by and asked me to put my mask on while the game was taking place. I politely said I didn't have one and was asked to leave. I refused and things escalated a bit from there. This back and forth went on for a few minutes, but the end result was that I did not leave and I continued to watch the game. I noticed him tattling on me to the coach (while his mask was around his neck), so I knew I would be hearing from them later.

I got home yesterday to a nasty email from the coach about how if I refuse to wear a mask that my daughters playing time will suffer. Specifically, "If you enter the complex without a mask and refuse to leave, Taylor will be unable to participate in any Seacoast activities". The fact she is being used as leverage because I wont fall into line is gross, but thats the situation. I had a follow up phone call with her where she said the same thing and hung up on me after several expletives.

Any idea how to handle this going forward without wearing a mask? I want to attend games, but my principles are what they are. Is this law since it came from the EEA during these times? Is it enforceable on their end? The fields they play on are not their own, so its not their property they are enforcing rules on. I am just trying to figure out if I have any cards to play in this situation.

Links just for reference:
MA Youth soccer guidelines:
EEA guidelines:

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't law and there is no way in same world a sporting club can enforce using a medical device. They can right now in clown world. But there is going to be legal blood when this is over from all the stupid little orgs going mask crazy. Note that the big retailers just put up signs and don't push it, they have smarter legal teams than local sports orgs. I'd push it if your daughter is good tell everyone the coach is hurting the team cause he's a mask fag.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Our rules for my child’s soccer is that everyone wears a mask at all times. They do not want parents at practices at all and only 1 spectator per child on the sideline at a time for games.

You’re asking if it’s law for a child’s soccer league. O it’s probably not a law, but it’s also not a right that your kid can play in a private league. If you don’t comply then they can keep her from playing. Their league, their rules.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell the soccer people that you self-identify as a diner in a restaurant (no mask), and that you identify them as your waiter/waitress (mask).

Further in your defense, tell the soccer people that you identify the soccer field as an OUTDOOR restaurant.

Either this virus knows the difference between soccer fields and restaurants, and knows outdoors vs. indoors.....or, we're (the public) being played for fools by commies.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If it's private property and the owner or their representative wants you to wear one, I think you have little choice other than to stop going personally or withdraw her from playing.

Without knowing what rules you and/or your daughter had to agree to in order to play, they could probably just kick her off the team.

ekalb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Imagine caring more about not wearing a mask than your about your daughters happiness. Pathetic.

Thats not quite correct. I spend roughly 12-15 hours a week attending soccer. If I have no cards to play going forward, I suppose the mask is the only option. I am just trying to think outside the box here.

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
It’s a private organization and your daughter’s participation is voluntary and requires parent/guardian to acknowledge and comply with the club and league rules. The COVID guidelines were handed down through MA youth soccer throughout the Commonwealth. Whether you agree or disagree out of personal beliefs or principles is irrelevant.

If you feel so strongly about it, write the coach a very nice apology and explain it’s simply for medical reasons that you cannot wear a mask — your reaction at the game was simply from being put on the defensive by the hostile way in which you were approached, blah, blah, blah. It’s a HIPPA violation for them to necessitate medical proof, and there is no law mandating you oblige them if they ask anyways.

My advice, be polite and respectful and a good role model to your daughter on how to treat others with respect.

To paraphrase the movie Pulp Fiction, that feeling you may be feeling is just pride fvcking with you, fvck pride.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If it's private property and the owner or their representative wants you to wear one, I think you have little choice other than to stop going personally or withdraw her from playing.

Without knowing what rules you and/or your daughter had to agree to in order to play, they could probably just kick her off the team.
If it's a public school then it is public property paid for by his taxes.

I just have to believe that taking any kind of putative action against a student for something their parent did or said just has to be some form of hazing.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
OP said it’s private club soccer and I’m sure they had all parents sign COVID waivers. The state youth soccer league made everyone sign. Each team also has a COVID coordinator who takes names of everyone who is in attendance for contact tracing.

Wear a mask and watch, or don’t go. Or lie and say you have a health condition and be a great role model to all the 11 yr old girls on the team.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s a private organization and your daughter’s participation is voluntary and requires parent/guardian to acknowledge and comply with the club and league rules. The COVID guidelines were handed down through MA youth soccer throughout the Commonwealth. Whether you agree or disagree out of personal beliefs or principles is irrelevant.

If you feel so strongly about it, write the coach a very nice apology and explain it’s simply for medical reasons that you cannot wear a mask — your reaction at the game was simply from being put on the defensive by the hostile way in which you were approached, blah, blah, blah. It’s a HIPPA violation for them to necessitate medical proof, and there is no law mandating you oblige them if they ask anyways.

My advice, be polite and respectful and a good role model to your daughter on how to treat others with respect.

To paraphrase the movie Pulp Fiction, that feeling you may be feeling is just pride fvcking with you, fvck pride.
I don't think HIPAA applies here. Maybe ADA, but in those cases they can ask for documentation.

ekalb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For what its worth, I do have asthma and a prescribed inhaler from my doctor. I have no idea if a medical note is something thats done in cases like this or not or whether it would just be ignored.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big lurker here, but not much of a poster. I figured this audience may have some advice for an issue we are having.

My 11 year old daughter plays private club youth soccer on the south shore of MA. They got their guidance for "return to play" from mayouthsoccer.org who gets their guidance from the MA EEA Office (link below for anyone that cares). These governing bodies have said that spectators must wear masks. Anyways, I have gone to almost all practices an hour away from my home several times a week and all games so far during the past three months since they have been allowed to return to play. I have not worn a mask once since its outside, I can easily stay away from others, and my own feelings about their effectiveness. I have had direct communication with the coach several times in person and also with a few other staff members. My lack of mask has never been brought up once. The kids wear the masks around their chin, on top of their head, etc. The parents mostly half ass it all while sitting elbow to elbow drinking whatever the trendy fall coffee flavor is and we have all coexisted nicely.

Yesterday, the director walked by and asked me to put my mask on while the game was taking place. I politely said I didn't have one and was asked to leave. I refused and things escalated a bit from there. This back and forth went on for a few minutes, but the end result was that I did not leave and I continued to watch the game. I noticed him tattling on me to the coach (while his mask was around his neck), so I knew I would be hearing from them later.

I got home yesterday to a nasty email from the coach about how if I refuse to wear a mask that my daughters playing time will suffer. Specifically, "If you enter the complex without a mask and refuse to leave, Taylor will be unable to participate in any Seacoast activities". The fact she is being used as leverage because I wont fall into line is gross, but thats the situation. I had a follow up phone call with her where she said the same thing and hung up on me after several expletives.

Any idea how to handle this going forward without wearing a mask? I want to attend games, but my principles are what they are. Is this law since it came from the EEA during these times? Is it enforceable on their end? The fields they play on are not their own, so its not their property they are enforcing rules on. I am just trying to figure out if I have any cards to play in this situation.

Links just for reference:
MA Youth soccer guidelines:
EEA guidelines:
1603143861787.png

Consider taking advice from conformists, marxists, and LARP-patriots who support marxists causes, marxist organizations and marxist directives....

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For what its worth, I do have asthma and a prescribed inhaler from my doctor. I have no idea if a medical note is something thats done in cases like this or not or whether it would just be ignored.
Under the ADA they would need to make a reasonable accommodation for you. That could be met in various ways. Given this is recreational, your recourse would likely be nil.

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
contact your PCP... ask for an inhaler prescription refill. Tell them you’ve been having to use it more frequently lately because of difficulty breathing due to the mask. Ask if they will provide you a letter of medical necessity because you were asked to leave the grocery store and kids soccer because of mask policy — most Dr. are accommodating.

You don’t have to provide the letter to the club, but I would report your kids coach to MAYS and send them a copy of the email where he threatened to punish your daughter. They have low-tolerance for that. Or be a decent guy and give the coach a heads up if he pulls that B.S. you’ll report him to the league for being an A.H. ...while he’s at it, he should start your kid more and make sure she gets ample playing time, because you’re now on to what kind of coach he is...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Imagine being such a giant human piece of shit that you use a kids playing time as a weapon against a parent to make them comply with your bullshit.
Yep, just a rung or two below the absurd number of women who use their own kids to do the same thing to their ex. Not a personal vent. Just something that disgusts me.

A few years back, after years of watching that be done to one of my best friends, and also after several drinks that night [smile]. His ex said something that just put me past my point. I opened my mouth, then stopped. I turned to Mike and said, "Sorry." He just grinned a little and nodded. Then I turned back and told her exactly what I thought of her and the way she acts. In front of about 30 people. 80+% of which just kind of nodded in agreement. When she looked around the room and didn't see people looking appalled at what they just heard she abruptly left and that was the last time I ever saw her.

When I was done I feat bad. Not toward her, but for the unimaginable level of shit that was headed my friend's way now. I didn't hold back at all. I apologized to Mike again and said "...it may have gone a little further than I meant it to." He said, "It was worth every second. I just wish I had recorded it." [rofl2] Oddly enough he later told me that she never mentioned that night again. [laugh]

ekalb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
contact your PCP... ask for an inhaler prescription refill. Tell them you’ve been having to use it more frequently lately because of difficulty breathing due to the mask. Ask if they will provide you a letter of medical necessity because you were asked to leave the grocery store and kids soccer because of mask policy — most Dr. are accommodating.

You don’t have to provide the letter to the club, but I would report your kids coach to MAYS and send them a copy of the email where he threatened to punish your daughter. They have low-tolerance for that. Or be a decent guy and give the coach a heads up if he pulls that B.S. you’ll report him to the league for being an A.H. ...while he’s at it, he should start your kid more and make sure she gets ample playing time, because you’re now on to what kind of coach he is...
Excellent advice and our PCP is a friend, so that route may make perfect sense. thanks

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Yep, just a rung or two below the absurd number of women who use their own kids to do the same thing to their ex. Not a personal vent. Just something that disgusts me.

A few years back, after years of watching that be done to one of my best friends, and also after several drinks that night [smile]. His ex said something that just put me past my point. I opened my mouth, then stopped. I turned to Mike and said, "Sorry." He just grinned a little and nodded. Then I turned back and told her exactly what I thought of her and the way she acts. In front of about 30 people. 80+% of which just kind of nodded in agreement. When she looked around the room and didn't see people looking appalled at what they just heard she abruptly left and that was the last time I ever saw her.

When I was done I feat bad. Not toward her, but for the unimaginable level of shit that was headed my friend's way now. I didn't hold back at all. I apologized to Mike again and said "...it may have gone a little further than I meant it to." He said, "It was worth every second. I just wish I had recorded it." [rofl2] Oddly enough he later told me that she never mentioned that night again. [laugh]
More bros need a bro like you

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thats not quite correct. I spend roughly 12-15 hours a week attending soccer. If I have no cards to play going forward, I suppose the mask is the only option. I am just trying to think outside the box here.
Half ass it like everyone else. Let it dangle from an ear or put it under your chin for a majority of the time and flap it on when the ‘soccer spectator mask enforcement popo’ come around.
I go in to people’s houses on a daily basis, I’ve mastered the quick draw mask application technique. Lord knows I’m not doing installations wearing a mask if you’re on the other freaking floor without one yourself. :rolleyes:

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree that it’s absolutely sick to use your daughters playtime as leverage for you to wear a mask. These deranged moonbats have no moral compass when it comes to getting their way. I say keep going to the games and keep bringing your daughter to them until they pull the trigger first. f*** those a**h***s.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everybody on here is smart enough to know this and just doesn't care. But the mask isn't preventing you from breathing in covid, it's preventing the water droplets infected with covid you could be potentially carrying from going airborne, its the same reason you're asked to wear a mask in the emergency room when you have a cough in flu season. Covid doesn't just radiate off you like B.O. at a gun show, it needs a medium to travel, which is water droplets- that damp stuff you cough, sneeze, and breathe out that gets caught up in the mask.

So, help other people and wear your mask, be a dick and don't, I don't care, its your choice but at least get your facts straight.

Last edited:

Lowbird

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I hate to this. REALLY hate to say this.
Just wear the stupid thing.

You never know when your local Karen will get involved and then you’ll lose a place to play or the potential to shut down an entire team if enough parents don’t play by their guidances.

Watching this play out in another industry and it’s infuriating that people can’t not be window lickers for a few months, so we’re facing the prospect of shutdowns or roll backs of phases by the state.

My industry has to abide by the eea deal as well. It’s staggering how many coaches or programs haven’t got the memo, literally.

Last edited:

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go, record coach and everyone else with no mask (if you don’t have it on video already) and say if they push the issue, you will too. Such BS. Play the evil liberals game against them.

Top Bottom