• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mashpee Ma PD offers free LTC course

I like the concept of this, but in effect if it is reducing the market for private LTC courses I am not 100% sold. Should a government agency really be doing something that may hurt small businesses?

I like the concept of this, but in effect if it is reducing the market for private LTC courses I am not 100% sold. Should a government agency really be doing something that may hurt small businesses?
1 course every 2 months isn’t really taking food of people’s table. I think it shows hope for the state, or at least the county

I would gladly never teach another LTC class if every PD in the Commonwealth provided a free class quarterly and processed the LTC Applications in a timely manner. Or better, let's just get rid of the training class period. It's a joke and just another obstacle for some department to use against the Citizens.

If the gov is going to mandate people take the class, then they should offer the course for free. And I'm an instructor -- although I haven't been teaching since the NRA rolled out their blended learning horse shit.

Mike

What Admin said. I teach the class as inexpensively as I can afford - if I were less poor, I'd be giving it away too.

You want to be a professional teacher? Offer a class worth paying for. Teach actual skills, and ask money for it. Teach the Three Rules, how to un/load, and a quick overview of the laws? That should be free.

My only concern is how well a local PD will cover the laws, and whether there'll be propaganda about "we don't support self-help in MA" and "everything's illegal."

My old town, and yes it is a real class. Working with them to get my first LTC was a breeze. The new chief is as great as the old one.

I would gladly never teach another LTC class if every PD in the Commonwealth provided a free class quarterly and processed the LTC Applications in a timely manner. Or better, let's just get rid of the training class period. It's a joke and just another obstacle for some department to use against the Citizens.
This.

If PD had offered the course, I would have taken it there and then spent the same $150 or so on a rifle handling or advanced pistol course with a trainer.

.Also: I miss Masphpee. Lived behind Dino's pizza my first year up there .probably consumed 2-3 pies a week.

I think it's great for people who want to get their LTC. This PD shows good support for 2A and those who want to exercise that right. Now the state should mandate that the LTC's be free because we shouldn't have to pay to exercise our rights. The state imposed the restrictions and created the extra steps in the process. They shouldn't make us pay for it in cash too.

They also offered this in Salisbury recently. Not sure if it's going to be a reoccurring thing but it was on their digital board out front.

What Admin said. I teach the class as inexpensively as I can afford - if I were less poor, I'd be giving it away too.

You want to be a professional teacher? Offer a class worth paying for. Teach actual skills, and ask money for it. Teach the Three Rules, how to un/load, and a quick overview of the laws? That should be free.

My only concern is how well a local PD will cover the laws, and whether there'll be propaganda about "we don't support self-help in MA" and "everything's illegal."
I'm all for the PDs offering free classes. It's also a "message" that they are LTC-friendly and won't throw BS requirements into the mix.

Like you, my concern is that they give out the correct info to students wrt MGLs. From what I see of police knowledge of Mass gun laws, it is pathetic and thus people are likely to be severely misled unintentionally due to ignorance. Of course I've seen the same concern with most instructors giving Mass gun law info to students as well.

My local PD has been doing this for a few years now but it costs 100.00 that goes to a non town employed instructor. My sister, her son, a buddy and his wife as well as a few other friends have taken the course and every one of them said it was great.

I lived in Mashpee for years and the licensing officer was great to deal with during the one renewal I did with her. She seemed very 2A friendly.

Hey how about getting rid off the prossesing fee and renewal fees, why do we have to pay extra money for a government function we already pay for in taxes?

My old town, and yes it is a real class. Working with them to get my first LTC was a breeze. The new chief is as great as the old one.

And it also helps that the old chief is now the town administrator. Seems like he wants to keep the overall budget for ballooning again.

I lived in Mashpee for years and the licensing officer was great to deal with during the one renewal I did with her. She seemed very 2A friendly.

Lives in Mashpee, have never had any issues with PD in regards to renewing LTC. When I worked at local pizza place and cops came in for lunch myself and another manager might talk every now and then about what gun to buy next with them.

I get what your saying, but are we ever going to be happy!
Can you imagine if all towns and cities in Ma. followed suit with this, Maura and Liz would have an fit trying to keep it together.
( I realize that will not happen, but when we get one little victory can we not find a way to s#*t all over it)
This actually shows that a town wants to arm their citizens, and the class is actually free.

Let’s just take the win, and Hats off to the Town of Mashpee

Not sure if serious.......this is not "free", it is just Mashpee taxpayer's dollar at work. This is to be applauded and held up as an example to the other 351 towns and cities to say, "hey, this is the level of public service we deserve as well".

If PD had offered the course, I would have taken it there and then spent the same $150 or so on a rifle handling or advanced pistol course with a trainer.

Agreed, I'd have spent my money on the GOAL class "The Art of Concealed Carry"
As I've found, there if I save money somewhere, it usually goes somewhere else.

Not sure if serious.......this is not "free", it is just Mashpee taxpayer's dollar at work. This is to be applauded and held up as an example to the other 351 towns and cities to say, "hey, this is the level of public service we deserve as well".

Yes, I am not crazy about the idea of a government filling a market need already covered by private businesses. Quite serious in that regard.

Like I said, I like the idea, I just have concerns about how it will impact the LTC trainers of the world.

I am not 'up in arms' about it, just expressing a point of concern.

Yes, I am not crazy about the idea of a government filling a market need already covered by private businesses. Quite serious in that regard.

Like I said, I like the idea, I just have concerns about how it will impact the LTC trainers of the world.

I am not 'up in arms' about it, just expressing a point of concern.
I would love for all the "LTC trainers of the world" to be out of a job.

Seriously. Let 'em teach something real, rather than trying to make a quick buck on the unethical imposition of training requirements in order to access your basic right of self preservation.

State wants to make us take a class? Make them teach it. Better still, find a way to hold them responsible legally/financially if they mislead any of their students on their rights/responsibilities WRT ownership and possession in the Commonwealth.

Just to make a point....the State mandates Hunter Ed, and gives it away for free. I can always get a seat in the class, because I teach it. [laugh] As for students....we always have 100%+ occupancy.

Every fall, the cry, "Let the private sector do it!" is heard, as there's never enough room in the classes, run by the State.

Be careful what you wish for....you may get it.

Back
Top Bottom