• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Masculinity and Guns

MaverickNH

NES Member
There's a lot about masculinity, whiteness and guns in the liberal media, trying to *understand* or *explain* the deficiencies of old, white males in their predilection towards gun ownership. Somehow we're reacting to our lost status with guns, shooting, self-defense and NRA.

I wrote the author below to suggest she overlooked the perspective that, while some males may have abdicated traditional roles and responsibilities as a Citizen, that doesn't mean those that have maintained these virtues are attempting to compensate with the guns we've always had, used and enjoyed. No response, of course.

Why Research on Guns Needs Sociologists. And Vice-Versa

"My book, Citizen-Protectors,3 aimed to provide just such a sociological intervention: to tease apart why Americans—particularly American men—carry guns and how their carried guns transform themselves and the social worlds around them. Interviewing, and carrying alongside, men gun carriers in Michigan, I learned about how socioeconomic decline shaped how men understood themselves, and found their footing as men, through guns; how race shaped the meanings that men attached to their guns, especially with regard to public law enforcement; and how NRA-certified gun training transformed gun carry from a mere practice to a civic duty, one that gun carriers affirmed by virtue of their decision to be armed.

...this book develops the term “citizen-protector” to capture how men use guns to assert their authority, dignity, and relevance to their families, and even their broader communities, by embracing a duty to protect—up to and including the willingness to kill. This is intimately related to the erosion of a core pillar of masculinity—breadwinning—due to a neoliberal shift away from manufacturing. Guns provide an alternative basis through which to recuperate one’s dignity as a man: one that does not revolve around the precarious capacity to provide but around the concrete right to protect."

Learning from Gun Owners and Users

This angle by the left has always annoyed me, with its hypocrisy. The “You have guns because you are compensating” is a bit ridiculous, and very much not “woke” to use their terminology. What would they do if men started saying that women took up crochet because they were barren and infertile? Do you think that would go over well with the very same people who say gun owners are compensating for (small dick, not masculine, etc...take your pick)?

It sounds like she regrets choosing the beta cuck she is with. She's trying to rationalize her own choice by disparaging masculine men.
It's a myth. It's like saying all bikers are mean, evil people or that all southern men like yours truly are members of the KKK. If she did her research, she would find out pretty damned quickly that women are the fastest-growing sector of the gun-owning public. Reasons range from sporting to self-defense, but it is still gun ownership regardless. My wife is a true southern lady with proper manners and a college education, not some hillbilly hick. She is also very proficient with firearms and we are teaching both of our young daughters to handle guns safely.

Manifestly, that person has never taken a female newby to the range, had her fire off a handful of rounds at steel only the hear a handful of "dings," and noticed the gleem in her eyes.

A found proficiency with firearms may indeed engender a particular emotional response, but, in my experience, that response is in no way gender specific.

EEA6C7F6-66E0-441A-8CEE-B3375B93B680.png 4E058351-B7AB-489A-A50F-15149EBC3255.png
“...white men in economic distress find comfort in guns as a means to reestablish a sense of individual power and moral certitude.”

These authors made a Gun Empowerment Index “that measures the the symbolic importance of firearms to owners...the extent to which guns improve a person’s sense of self and feelings of control; respondents indicate the extent to which they agree that guns make them feel “safe,” “responsible,” “confident,” and “in control of my fate” [and] whether guns made them feel “more valuable to my family,” “more valuable to my community,” “respected,” and “patriotic.” They related that Gun Empowerment with whiteness and willingness to use violence to resist a tyrannical government.

Whites with the lowest Gun Empowerment are almost twice as accepting of violence to resist tyranny than non-Whites and those with the highest Gun Empowerment about 30-fold higher. They phrase it as “Probability Violence Never Justified” and find even the non-White lowest Gun Empowerment respondents have a 0.33 probability score. Yet they don’t comment that this group has the cognate 0.66 probability that violence may be justified against a tyrannical government.

I’m sure that group of wussies was thinking someone else should take up arms against Trump...

i have been accused of the small penis and relation to gun ownership on a number of occasions. developed two retorts to the accuser that work quite well. if a female: since you know so much about penis siz you must have really made the rounds. if a male: since you know so much about penis size, maybe you are the one with something to hide. drum roll !

This angle by the left has always annoyed me, with its hypocrisy. The “You have guns because you are compensating” is a bit ridiculous, and very much not “woke” to use their terminology. What would they do if men started saying that women took up crochet because they were barren and infertile? Do you think that would go over well with the very same people who say gun owners are compensating for (small dick, not masculine, etc...take your pick)?

Here's the reality - a guy with a ton of guns or several "big-ass" guns is NOT touting them on the ForceBork or in person or anywhere. They just quietly own guns and hang out with others who do and who shoot them together.

Now, the compensators are those guys rolling coal in their 48' (yes - ') lifted pickup with the chromed mudflaps with naked chicks on them and the air horn. THAT guy is compensating. Everything he does is very public.

Ditto for the knit'n'pearl chippies. VERY public about their barren-womb knitting skills. They all have that same crocheted vest that everyone thought was stylish in 1974 but wasn't even then.

I would argue strongly that your average gun owner - and the VAST MAJORITY of gun owners can't even begin to be counted in the "compensating" realm.

I say some of this in jest. The only client I've ever had with a glittered/lifted pickup was. . . . a chick. LOL. But she sold it b/c it was just impractical to drive. After she got her monster-truck groove on for a while. LOL

Now, the compensators are those guys rolling coal in their 48' (yes - ') lifted pickup with the chromed mudflaps with naked chicks on them and the air horn. THAT guy is compensating. Everything he does is very public.

Ah yes, peacocking. It’s like watching a David Attenborough documentary about animal mating rituals.

Don't forget the truck nuts:
iu

Looks like a legitimate handicap. How do you even walk?
I've seen plenty of people with danglies (the handicap tags, not the truck nuts) I have no idea why they need it. Then again, I'm not the DMV nor an enforcement officer, so none of my business.

Likewise the Costco scooters. A whole bunch racing around them at the local store yesterday.

i have been accused of the small penis and relation to gun ownership on a number of occasions. developed two retorts to the accuser that work quite well. if a female: since you know so much about penis siz you must have really made the rounds. if a male: since you know so much about penis size, maybe you are the one with something to hide. drum roll !

I'll stick with "Your wife didn't think so . "

Back
Top Bottom