• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MAS 49/56

This MAS was re-arsenaled in '83 and in the original 7.5x54 caliber. The wood is flawless as is the bore. I do not believe it was ever dropped, ahem..... Since the pic I found an optics case and adjustment tool. The kepi is unissued, never had braid or a unit pin on it. It could be for Infantry, Zouaves, Chasseurs-Paratroopers, Shock Parachuters, Shock Commandos, Artillery, or Supply & Quartermaster’s Corps. I found it in a Plymouth antique store. I think of all the bits I've found over the years, the kepi is the coolest.

mas.jpg

Very nice! I have one that was converted to 7.62MM. I think it is a very handy rifle and pleasant to shoot rifle.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris

Excellent! I have found mine to be pretty damn accurate with the scope. I've been firing surplus in mine, but it's starting to run out, so it's time to start experimenting with some handloads.

Have fun with that bad girl - she's a beauty. Does she have any French sisters to play with?
IMG_3017-2.jpg

Does she have any French sisters to play with?

Great group, that's a 49 near the bottom?

No, no other ones yet. Likely my next buy is a French 1892 ordnance revolver. If I found a mint M93 like the 2nd down I'd be sorely tempted too. There was a chopped one on Gunbroker a couple years back that I almost bought. An old but superbly done conversion to carbine length like your Berthier. It was cool.

I love my MAS 49/56! I got a 36 and a 36/51 years ago and never fired them until I bumped into the 49/56 at a gunshow for an unbeatable price. I then noticed that AIM sells the Privi ammo in 7.5 French and bought a few boxes to let my Frenchies bark. They are some sweet rifles to fire!

I just wish I could find something like that when my wife drags me antique shopping!!!

Yup, it's a Sirian contract M49 with the nifty bayonet under the barrel.

Picked up an 1892 revolver last month, and that is REALLY neat - especially the side panel that swings out for cleaning, and exposes the action components. Each component is numbered so you know what order to put them back in!

You do realize that alot of the M93 Lebels were arsenal-converted to carbines (M93-R35), and are not "bubba-specials."

Great group, that's a 49 near the bottom?

No, no other ones yet. Likely my next buy is a French 1892 ordnance revolver. If I found a mint M93 like the 2nd down I'd be sorely tempted too. There was a chopped one on Gunbroker a couple years back that I almost bought. An old but superbly done conversion to carbine length like your Berthier. It was cool.

Have any of you tried the French military ammo being offered by Samco Global? I'm curious as to the accuracy.

Also--if anybody needs ammo drop me a PM. I have a lot of PRVI, but I only bought it for the brass--if you don't reload maybe we could make a deal, you shoot the ammo and I keep the brass. Let me know

--Warm_Garand

You do realize that alot of the M93 Lebels were arsenal-converted to carbines (M93-R35), and are not "bubba-specials."

It likely started out as an arsenal-converted carbine but I doubt Bubba's shadow was on it.

The magazine tube was extended even with the muzzle and it was slick!

Last edited:
*** WARNING - EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGE ***

Picked up an 1892 revolver last month, and that is REALLY neat - especially the side panel that swings out for cleaning, and exposes the action components. Each component is numbered so you know what order to put them back in!

*** WARNING - EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGE ***

You were warned, scroll down if you dare!

I bought these 2 weeks ago at an estate sale for......

$10 !!!!!!!!

230 rounds of SFM 8mm Lebel revolver -

LWWPK.jpg

I've got a Mle.1886 m93-R35 along with the long bayonet literally for change this year.
First thought flashing through my brain was "bubba", but then I saw the arsenal marks.
Original manufacturer of the rifle is MAT (Manufacture d'Armes Tulle).

I have also squirreled away some 8mm Label revo ammo made by SFM and Fiocchi,
just lacking the appropriate wheelgun.

BTW, nice collection of frog guns you have!

So.... how about some range time with a french revolver? I'll bring the gun, you bring the ammo!

I will take that under advisement. Are you certain you wouldn't rather sell me the 1892 because of the ammo hassle?

[wink]

I did not know what I had when I got this ammo. It was in a dirty mason jar and at a glance I thought they were .30 Carbine. When I saw the SFM stamps I got a micrometer and figured the rest out.

Back
Top Bottom