Maryland: Police: Man waiting to take driver's test arrested for marijuana, gun in car

allen-1

NES Member
Link: Police: Man waiting to take driver's test arrested for marijuana, gun in car

Officials said Reginald Wooding Jr., 22, was next in line to take his driver's test at the Motor Vehicle Administration in Glen Burnie when an examiner told a trooper she thought she smelled marijuana coming from the car. The trooper confirmed the smell and investigated.

Maryland State Police spokesman Greg Shipley said Wooding was using using his mother's car for the test and that he voluntarily handed over a small bag of marijuana.

"That led to a further search of the vehicle. The trooper recovered almost a pound of marijuana, more than $15,000 in suspected drug-related money, a loaded handgun with a 30-round magazine that was in the glove box," Shipley said.

OOPS....

Way back when I lived in NJ the local version of the Globe {The Trentonian if you care) had a column that detailed stupid criminals. One story was about a guy that got busted on an Amtrak train from NYC for not paying his fare. When the Transit Police arrested him he was searched. He was carrying hundreds of doses of Ecstasy, heroin, coke, a few ounces of pot, and several thousand dollars in cash.

Years ago, I was taking my then gf to get her license at the RMV, back when the Staties rode with you for the test.

She couldn’t drive a stick so I asked one of my buddies to meet me there and swap cars for an hour so she could use his.

So we’re waiting and about 5 or 10mins to go before it’s her turn. I walked outside to have a smoke and wait by the car. I hadn’t even looked inside when we swapped keys, just thanked him and said we’d meet him in an hour.

Now I’m taking a look at the car and checking for the registration, the entire front floor on both sides was covered with seeds and sticks and reeked of pot. Literally like a hundred pot seeds and stems.

I ran inside and grabbed her and said we have to go now. Like right now. She was pissed but when she got outside she understood the urgency.

“Ummm ya, I’m going to need to reschedule.” lol

Dick. lol

Wooding has been in the criminal justice system since 2015 for burglary, assault and other drug-related charges.
Boy you hate to see that happen to such a great kid. He was just turning his life around!

22 and taking his driver's test? With his obviously sub-par IQ, I wonder if he failed the test the prior 6 years in a row.

$15,000 in suspected drug-related money

AKA, we think it's bad, so civil forfeiture. We'll just keep that until you can prove otherwise.

22 and taking his driver's test? With his obviously sub-par IQ, I wonder if he failed the test the prior 6 years in a row.

AKA, we think it's bad, so civil forfeiture. We'll just keep that until you can prove otherwise.

I can't believe it took 14 posts to reach civil forfeiture.

Not sure a "small bag of pot" and a "gun" equate to drug dealer. He looks like a fine young man in his mug shot. (ok, that very last comment wasn't serious)

I can't believe it took 14 posts to reach civil forfeiture.

Not sure a "small bag of pot" and a "gun" equate to drug dealer. He looks like a fine young man in his mug shot. (ok, that very last comment wasn't serious)

almost a pound of weed is quite a personal stash
15k in cash. but driving in mommy's car? Like a 'leave the car in her name' kinda mommy's car?
Gun with 30 rounder? hmmm.
The question becomes, was it a personal stash, or bagged up weighed out with intent to distribute that evil plant. Remember, what .gov is really pissed about here is they didn't get their cut on the sale, and the income tax from the ute selling his plants

Ach. I skimmed the article and missed seeing the "pound".

Ok, that's more than a personal stash, at least to carry around with you.

The problem remains though, the $15k shouldn't just be "the cop's property now". Take it into evidence, ok, and if the prosecution proves it is drug money then it get's turned over to charity. Maybe to support a substance abuse rehab clinic. (there oughta be a law! It's for the CHILDREN!)

If once in a while they can't prove the money is tainted, then they should give it back. "Knowing" isn't "proving". Sucks but otherwise it's too easy to "steal" money from people that aren't committing crimes at all.

I know it's not a zebra, the hoofbeats are a horse, but the horse is armed with a pound of weed, a gun and 15k in cash in the saddlebag.
Absent being in a Cole Amendment protected state and a .gov provided pay-to-play license to give them their cut, the ute is going to jail....and he's losing his weed, his gun, the car and the cash.

Back
Top Bottom