Martini Henry Rifle .577/.450?

je25ff

NES Member
So I've seen a whole bunch of these on the market lately. Apparently they are old Nepalese surplus. Does anyone have one or have interest in one? Any info you have would be much appreciated. They're kind of unique, and I like that Victorian era stuff.

577-450%2BMartininHenry.jpg

Martini-Henry_m1871_-_England_-_AM.032017.jpg

Highly recommended. I have a few Martinis - one is from the Nepal Cache being sold by IMA.

They are a bit of a project - first to disassemble and clean/repair the gun, then the even bigger challenge of getting it firing.

Luckily, many have gone before you, so there is a lot of help, do a search on "British Militaria Forums" and you will find entire forums focused on Martinis as well as other British arms like the Snider.

If you already reload and cast, getting into these is not a big deal. Lee makes affordable dies, and guys on the forum sell the formed brass.

If you buy from IMA, I'd recommend the Mk IV as they are in better condition. The Mk IV also takes a sword bayonet which is awesome and worth getting in a package deal if you're into that kind of thing.

If you need any help PM me. We have New England Victorian Riflemen shoots on occasion.

This is me shooting my Braendlin Armoury Commercial Martini Carbine in 577/450

victorian007.jpg

and this is the opening volley of the Victorian Riflemen at an annual shoot

[video=youtube_share;rFqQWuaOGR4]http://youtu.be/rFqQWuaOGR4[/video]

Last edited:
I bought a Gahendra from IMA years ago on special for $159..After a week of cleaning the Yak grease off it I was left with what appeared to be an original unissued rifle. Not the highest quality piece but nice nonetheless. I have ammo for it but have been afraid to shoot it after reading about the questionable metallurgy used by India back then...

Nice! I have a Gahendra as well and have fired it with a 50g FFg charge with no problems (usually I'm at about 100g for the Mk IV).

As you say, those Kynoch smokeless rounds are probably better left for the British-made rifles.

Definitely I wouldn't dream of using a smokeless powder load after what I have read....I got a couple of boxes of Kynoch in a lot of old I ammo I won in an auction a few years ago. Pretty pricy stuff nowadays if you can find it..

Awesome. Thanks, guys. When and if I get the spare cash, I might pick one up.

I got a MK lV from IMA several years ago. You can still buy M-H brass and Lee has dies. You get the thrill of blackpowder without the long reloading time and mess of muzzleloaders. Highly recommended!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom