• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area

Money that flows from the people to the government is a tax. I get your point that hunting fees are a fairly appropriately scoped/targeted user fee, which is the best type of tax. But if the state owns the land and compels the payment of monies to support it, it's public land paid for with public money and I shouldn't have to get a permission slip to undertake lawful activities on it.

Again these WMA’s are paid for solely by land stamps, hunting, fishing, and sporting license fees , and in some cases they are “gifted” from private citizens so it’s only fair that if you want to use it you share some of the responsibilities of maintaining it

WMA’s are very different than state forest

Jane and Mary who ride their horses on the trails in the WMA’s and do nothing but bitch about the hunters and shooters don’t contribute at all to the area monetarily yet ironically pose the biggest threat

Again these WMA’s are paid for solely by land stamps, hunting, fishing, and sporting license fees , and in some cases they are “gifted” from private citizens so it’s only fair that if you want to use it you share some of the responsibilities of maintaining it

WMA’s are very different than state forest

Jane and Mary who ride their horses on the trails in the WMA’s and do nothing but bitch about the hunters and shooters don’t contribute at all to the area monetarily yet ironically pose the biggest threat

In addition, I am pretty sure that 11% of any firearm, bow, ammunition and fuel (on a lake) purchase helps fund these lands.

I find it rediculous that so many Bitch about Martin Burns being a dump......not open when it's supposed to be......yada yada......then complain that they NEED places like Martin Burns because they can't afford a place to shoot. Let me get this straight......you take part in an activity in which the ANNUAL membership fee costs about 1/3 of a single fire arm your looking to shoot? Hell......an annual membership to most clubs costs less than what you'd spend in ammo to feed the fire arm your planning to shoot during one range trip....... and yet your looking for a free range to use.

People should just join a god damned gun club.
This is what baffles me too. I see many posts here and on the MA gun FB groups looking for places to shoot but don’t want to join a club.

Do people just buy guns to throw in a safe and never shoot?? If club memberships cost $10k to join maybe I’d understand. But how can people not afford $150ish per year to join a club??

They are probably making it harder and harder to gain access to the range because the f and w guys are sick and tired if picking up all the trash left behind by the skinflints, bubbas, and inbread mother f***ers that shoot there.

It’s only getting worse and worse as the town dumps are getting replaced with transfer stations.

One of the places I hunt now has a large fiberglass boat dumped there this year. The dumbasses didn’t even bother to scrape off the registration numbers.

Bob

To start off I would like to ask the mods to either please move this to the appropriate area or to close this thread if need be as I was not too sure where to post this.

I had been debating on writing this post for the good part of this week after using the range this past Saturday. I love to use this range as it is a great place for people who cannot afford a club to get some shooting in; however, people had left the range in a state that is not befitting of folks who should enjoy the outdoors and want to make sure that we can still have this range and maybe others in the future.

I ended up picking up a 55 gallon trash bags worth of trash which is far beyond the normal few left over paper targets. The worst trash was several cell phones that people had shot up with the lithium ion batters still in them. If you don't know these batteries are very combustable and could have caught on fire. Remember this is a carry in carry out place.

As well it seems like each time I'm there people do not realize that the range with the berm if for PISTOL/RIFLE only and that the shotgun range is separate and I have a map of the parking (green), rifle/pistol (red/pink), and the shotgun range (blue) here.

Sadly, some people are pigs.

I always keep 55g trash bags in the truck to pick up trash on the private property I hunt. I pick up stuff on WMA and other public as well but I’m less focused about it.

Thanks for what you did. Keep an eye out for needles. They seem to be everywhere these days.

Bob

Anyone know if Marty Burns is open to Public Shooting Range?
You need to get the OK from the Massachusetts Environmental Police, if I remember correctly. It’s really easy just google it and it will get you the info you need, they sent me my “OK” paperwork in like two weeks. I think it opens 4/10 but not 100% sure, I haven’t been in a while. It’s definitely a dump though unfortunately, lots of toothless Byfield dirtbags trash the place and don’t give a shit.

I don’t think he’s asking about the permission so much as weather or not it’s been closed like almost everything else fire arms related in this state.
Much like the ranges, parks and beaches.

You need to get the OK from the Massachusetts Environmental Police, if I remember correctly. It’s really easy just google it and it will get you the info you need, they sent me my “OK” paperwork in like two weeks. I think it opens 4/10 but not 100% sure, I haven’t been in a while. It’s definitely a dump though unfortunately, lots of toothless Byfield dirtbags trash the place and don’t give a shit.
Not looking for a country club, just a place to stay tuned up. I'll see what I can find and post back.
I don’t think he’s asking about the permission so much as weather or not it’s been closed like almost everything else fire arms related in this state.
Much like the ranges, parks and beaches.
This was my first thought. No use getting set up just to be told "You're all set Enbloc, but that range is closed until further notice. Governor said so ..."

It usually opens for the season sometime mid April every year. I get the permit every year, but prefer my local club for the lowered risk of being swept with a firearm.

The Permit comes from The Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, The Federal Tax is known as the Pittman-Robertson Money is allocated to the states for wildlife and fisheries management, Hunter safety as well as constructing and running ranges. That allocation is done based on the number of Hunting and fishing licenses that are issued.

I sent mine out a month or so ago just to keep it renewed and never heard back. No one at the office picked up the phone. I'll assume they are not there currently.

Bummer - I'm not a member of any ranges, and Bobs public range closed down...so I have nowhere to go test the toys I acquired during the shutdown (Norinco AK and S&W TRR8).

Georgetown Fish and Game , holds their annual meeting this month. After the elections there should be slots availble for membership starting next month. I know it's semi fuddy, but it's close to me and usually not very busy during the week.
I liked doing the weekend trap shooting there before I moved down to Quincy. I've since gotten my membership at Braintree which has been okay so far. Its nice to have access to the 24/7 indoor range.

Bummer - I'm not a member of any ranges, and Bobs public range closed down...so I have nowhere to go test the toys I acquired during the shutdown (Norinco AK and S&W TRR8).
Gun clubs are like golf courses in MA, it is full of them. Join a club. There is one having open weekends and it seems to be easy and inexpensive to join. I forget the name, but go check the clubs sections.

Back
Top Bottom