Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area

To start off I would like to ask the mods to either please move this to the appropriate area or to close this thread if need be as I was not too sure where to post this.

I had been debating on writing this post for the good part of this week after using the range this past Saturday. I love to use this range as it is a great place for people who cannot afford a club to get some shooting in; however, people had left the range in a state that is not befitting of folks who should enjoy the outdoors and want to make sure that we can still have this range and maybe others in the future.

I ended up picking up a 55 gallon trash bags worth of trash which is far beyond the normal few left over paper targets. The worst trash was several cell phones that people had shot up with the lithium ion batters still in them. If you don't know these batteries are very combustable and could have caught on fire. Remember this is a carry in carry out place.

View attachment 198707
View attachment 198729

As well it seems like each time I'm there people do not realize that the range with the berm if for PISTOL/RIFLE only and that the shotgun range is separate and I have a map of the parking (green), rifle/pistol (red/pink), and the shotgun range (blue) here.

View attachment 198708

Last edited:
It is disgusting what some people do. They have places to shoot and than they trash them and complain when new rules are put into place or places are closed down. To the people that do things like this if any of you are reading this: STOP! Not only are you ruining it for yourselves but for anyone that likes to enjoy shooting and the outdoors.

wahsben, said it quicker than I could have! I also wanted to show that there are in fact two ranges as well. Also when people think that the state doesn't go for wellness checks they do.

Thank you Yankee Clipper for doing what others fail to do![cheers]

We will always have scum that treat the world as their own personal dumpster.[angry]
Imagine how those same people treat others that they interact with all day long?[frown]

The world is better because people such as yourself choose to help pick up the messes left by others![wink]

PS. I with you here as I always take a shopping cart back to where it belongs and leave a place cleaner than when I found them!

Last edited:
Thank you Yankee Clipper for doing what others fail to do![cheers]

We will always have scum that treat the world as their own personal dumpster.[angry]
Imagine how those same people treat others that they interact with all day long?[frown]

The world is better because people such as yourself choose to help pick up the messes left by others![wink]

PS. I with you here as I always take a shopping cart back to where it belongs and leave a place cleaner than when I found them!

my dad (long deceased) taught me a few things

if you borrow something, return it in the same(or better) condition as when you got it.

always think of the person behind you.

i'm sure there were more, but i guess all human decency rules meld together.

Never knew this place was there..Is this place low key or does it get a little tight on the weekends? Also good work on the cleanup!
Thanks! I sent you a PM with some more details.

But as a heads up the range only has one shooting table left and there should be a picnic table up at the shotgun area. There are no more target holders anymore; there use to be two are 25 yards and two at around the 50 mark (pretty sure thats the ranges). YOU'LL have to bring your own. I use a DIY PVC target holder, easy enough to google. Others use those metal stands that are like $25-30 at any box store.

Last thing to note is that lots of people will be biking, hiking, or nature walking in the area. The road is only feet from where you'll be shooting so be friendly and stop and unload your gun if you see or hear people coming as it makes them less tense about walking by an active range.

If you have any questions hit me up, I go there about once a week.

Last edited:
There is a ton of info on this place in the gun club forum section. It's totally bubba central. Safety is an issue as there is no incentive to be safe as it is not watched and there are no fees.

The place friggin blows.

Now.....op....you say it's good for folks who can't afford to join a club? Most clubs are $150 A YEAR. if you can't pony up $150 for a safe place to shot how the hell do you afford ammo?

Just join a damn gun club.

Nice job cleaning the place up. Nothing worse than when we get our places closed down. I remember shooting in sand pits not too long ago, and how fast the chain went up once holes started appearing in expensive equipment. Jackasses!

There is a ton of info on this place in the gun club forum section. It's totally bubba central. Safety is an issue as there is no incentive to be safe as it is not watched and there are no fees.

The place friggin blows.

Now.....op....you say it's good for folks who can't afford to join a club? Most clubs are $150 A YEAR. if you can't pony up $150 for a safe place to shot how the hell do you afford ammo?

Just join a damn gun club.
I was looking into places around the Northshore, but all have gone up in prices that i know of. Please tell me of these cheaper ones that don't have some sort of waiting list or needing to know a current member as a reference.

Last edited:
I was looking into places around the Northshore, but all have gone up in prices that i know of. Please tell me of these cheaper ones that don't have some sort of waiting list or needing to know a current member as a reference.

Country pond fish and game $175 a year no wait. 24 hour indoor centerfire pistol range.

No wait at gtown that I know of either

Danvers fish and game has no wait

All are between $150 and $200 a year.

I also believe Andover is taking members.

Know how to get a reference?!?? Show up to public events. Too easy.

If you can't pony up $150 to $200 a year for a membership how are you feeding your gun anyway?

Well I was going to Gtown for open trap and I had been told it was going to go up to 300 or so. And I prefer to feed my guns on hopes and dreams.

In all honestly the membership stuff had to wait for the summer as I'm in college and have the money saved up after checking out some more places, but my original post was more or less for the fact that our state has one range that anyone can use. What is stopping them from closing this one just like the other ranger that is closing due to noise complaints. Nothing

Last edited:
Well I was going to Gtown for open trap and I had been told it was going to go up to 300 or so. And I prefer to feed my guns on hopes and dreams.

In all honestly the membership stuff had to wait for the summer as I'm in college and have the money saved up after checking out some more places, but my original post was more or less for the fact that our state has one range that anyone can use. What is stopping them from closing this one just like the other ranger that is closing due to noise complains. Nothing

What I'm saying is it looks like you have learned that free range access = bubba central.

I get your gripe. But if you want safe clean access to a range....your going to have to pay. Martin burns has been the way you describe for a long time.

Country pond fish and game $175 a year no wait. 24 hour indoor centerfire pistol range.

If you can't pony up $150 to $200 a year for a membership how are you feeding your gun anyway?

I belong to a club, but why shouldn't I go to Martin Burns as my tax dollars have already paid for it?

I belong to a club, but why shouldn't I go to Martin Burns as my tax dollars have already paid for it?

I never said you couldn't go there. Where did I say that? I said if you join a club rather than go there you won't have to encounter bubba and his cohorts.....and deal with the shit da bubbas left behind.

Fact.....free range access = bubba central. This fact cannot be disputed.

Sadly belonging to a club doesn't mean there will be no more bubbas. I've seen people on here complaining about the messes and damage people do at their club and at the 2 clubs I belong to there have been complaints. Unfortunately there are people that have little or no consideration for others.

I never said you couldn't go there. Where did I say that? I said if you join a club rather than go there you won't have to encounter bubba and his cohorts.....and deal with the shit da bubbas left behind.

Fact.....free range access = bubba central. This fact cannot be disputed.

Last edited:
Sadly belonging to a club doesn't mean there will be no more bubbas. I've seen people on here complaining about the messes and damage people do at their club and at the 2 clubs I belong to there have been complaints. Unfortunately there are people that have little or no consideration for others.

I'm a member at cpfg in Newton nh. The place is immaculate.

Never seems to be an issue when you have cameras on every range. With those we don't need range safety officers there all the time. People just enjoy a safe range outing and actually clean up after themselves.

I do get your point though. I went as a guest to Auburn sportsmen's club once. The rifle range looked like a scene out of mad Max! Blown up shit everywhere. Not my idea of a nice atmosphere.

In all honestly the membership stuff had to wait for the summer as I'm in college and have the money saved up after checking out some more places, but my original post was more or less for the fact that our state has one range that anyone can use. What is stopping them from closing this one just like the other ranger that is closing due to noise complaints. Nothing

That is not true. The membership is cost is $125 with a $30 discount if you join the NRA or GOAL. They are considering capping the membership shortly. I shoot trap often there. I don't know who would've told you that.

Last edited:
Good on you for doing some cleanup. There is not much more that aggravates me than people leaving trash all over the place.

When I hunt or camp I get pissed at all the trash I find. Why is it so easy to bring full packages of food and drink with you, but then too heavy to carry out the empty packages?

Back
Top Bottom