Martin burns target free public range some info and questions

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
In north east mass there's a free public range in the the Martin burns wildlife area.

All you need to do is send a letter in with a self address stamp envelope, contact info and your ltc number. they'll mail you a permit for free to use the target range.
Is where you mail your request.

Division of Fisheries & Wildlife
85 Fitchburg Rd
Ayer, MA 0143

The women told me I should get it within a week or two from when they get it. And the next year you just mail it back to them with a self address envelope And stamp.

The one thing she was not able to tell me is what weapons are allowed. She wasn't sure of its just hunting weapons or not...

So dose any one know what you can shoot there with out getting in trouble?

Right now I only have a 1911,p38, and a 3 shot shotgun. Im planing to build a AR now. I just don't want to show up with the wrong type of gun and get in trouble ..

From

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_rifles.htm

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_handguns.htm

On both links the first line states The same thing minus rifle vs hand gun. I'll paste the one for hunting with hand guns...

It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a pistol or revolver of any caliber (including muzzle-loading pistols) and with a magazine capacity of any size, EXCEPT:

the exception is what confusing me.

Is it safe for me to assume I can use any rifle or hand gun then? That i can legally own ...I wouldnt shoot .50bmg there lol.

That last one appears to only cover handguns up to .38 caliber.

If anyone goes up to check this out, please post an update. I am going to send for my permit tomorrow.

If u read it is any caliber any mag size etc etc ... Then when you read what your hunting can change that.... Since your hunting "paper" I'll take it as any thing is good to go beside .50bmg or some other rifle rounds like that....

I sent mine in and waiting to get my "permit". Still have no idea where it is lol. I need shooting buddy's...

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

That last link just covers smaller game check my links ... I also spoke to a few people at the office. The first few where deff anti gun anti hunting and kept telling semi autos arent allowed at all in mass. The guy I spoke to told me no .50bmg and common sense.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

Excellent - when I get my permit I'll post it in here. If you want we can meet up for a shoot - we'll both bring P38s, you bring your 1911 and it will look like WWII out there.

I received my target permit today. If I can figure out where the hell this place is I might drive up there this weekend.

BTW, for anyone planning to get a permit, they range closes from October 2 through the winter (opened April 13 this year).

I love this range. It is a drive for me but I enjoy shooting outdoors by myself. I've seen all kinds of brass there and I don't think anyone cares what you shoot there. I haven't found the trap range but I just shoot the shotgun where the regular range is. I'm glad I heard about this range a while back, my guns like to get out more often [wink].

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

I just got my permit... But need a address for my gps lol...

I'll bring my p38 haven't shot it yet. Wanna look it over for me :)
And I'll bring my 1911...

We can at gi vs nazis lol..

I also got a Remington sportsman58 semi auto 3 shot 12 gauge...

I got the 12g and the p38 from my grand ma...

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

I love the thing about
"only those firearms used for hunting may be used"

So you could use a 50bmg.... But nothing bigger lol.

Is mine the only one with typ'o ?

60e92927-cb24-f8d2.jpg

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

Hi everyone. The fact is the range is not policed AT ALL, people shoot everything from .22 to .50 bmg there. it's carry in carry out, although there are many lazy folks who leave crap everywhere. I try to clean it up when I go because its one of the last few good things this state is doing for us.

Warwickben. I don't have an address but I can tell you it's about 1 mile down Orchard st. Take exit 55 and take a right if coming from the south. After about 3/4 of a mile orchard st. is on your left (it's on a corner just before a little bridge) another mile down orchard st. and there is a brown wooden sign that you can barely read, thats it. A hint is that once you've passed Byfield Automotive, you've got about and 1/8 mile to go.

Can you drive right up to it or hike in to it?
What's the road like I got a sports car (rx8)... I'll do some off roaming but can't deal with huge ruts etc... Or I can borrow someones car lol.

I'm gonna try to go there Sunday and try out my grand dads p38 and maybe his shot gun.
Guess I'll need a staple gun some targets and ammo lol I'm gonna legitimate rape the printer at work and print some out lol.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

O yeah
That guy.... if your free Sunday id def like to meet up . I dont want to be the lone gun man lol... Mainly if this p38 blows up, I need some one to call 911.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

Last edited:
You can get down it with an RX-8, it's a dirt road, but its 2 lanes wide, there are pot holes but you can drive around them for the most part. Yes you can drive right up to the range, there is parking for 3 to 4 vehicles. If you want to shoot Sunday I am game, I haven't been in a while. I could meet you off the highway and you could follow me in.

Can you drive right up to it or hike in to it?
What's the road like I got a sports car (rx8)... I'll do some off roaming but can't deal with huge ruts etc... Or I can borrow someones car lol.

I'm gonna try to go there Sunday and try out my grand dads p38 and maybe his shot gun.
Guess I'll need a staple gun some targets and ammo lol I'm gonna legitimate rape the printer at work and print some out lol.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.
I wouldn't take an RX8 on that road. I have an Altima Coupe that's real low to the ground and I barely get by. It is made for trucks, not little cars like mine haha.

:( :( :( :(
Figures finally find a place that I can buy a rifle and use and I mite not make it lol...

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

This is great info thanks guys! This will be much better than heading to cape ann for the public sunday shoot. Looks like a great place to try and get my new Savage Axis in 30-06 sighted in. So since it says paper or clay targets only, does that mean we also need to bring in our own stands, or how about something so we can put the clay discs on to shoot? Would we just have to put them on the berm and shoot them into dust, anyone know I could pick a case up from walmart and wouldn't mind sharing in the fun!

Thanks Charles.

I got a shot gun guess they have a skeet range too...

Any one wanna teach me :)

I saw photos with wooden stands. Don't know if there always there or not.Could just bring a wooden stake or two....

Could try to plan some thing for a few of us to meet up there... ;) or meet some where near and drive us with sport cars in...
I might be able to make it in just worried about setting the grass on fire or some thing. Rotary exhaust is crazy hot... I've set on fire or killed the grass where I park all the time lol.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

I got a shot gun guess they have a skeet range too...

Any one wanna teach me :)

I saw photos with wooden stands. Don't know if there always there or not.Could just bring a wooden stake or two....

Could try to plan some thing for a few of us to meet up there... ;) or meet some where near and drive us with sport cars in...
I might be able to make it in just worried about setting the grass on fire or some thing. Rotary exhaust is crazy hot... I've set on fire or killed the grass where I park all the time lol.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

"Shotgun" [laugh]

But yeah I would love to get back up there. This long weekend is looking good. How is your R1 doing?

Dam iPhone.....

I love my r1 ,
I was having a problem with ftf.
It was always the same round in the mag but not all the time tho. After posting my problem, I got the advice the mag release was dragging on the follower . 2 mins removing a burr and it runs pretty good. Now i need to learn to take mags apart to clean then lol.
I've got like 1200 rds in the gun. About 50 of the zombie hollow points(ran like a champ). Love the gun... Just doesn't like the 16 round mag my dad gave me :(.... But I think that's more the mag lol.

I'm thinking I'm gonna try to go to the rang around 12.... Just heard about a gun show in nh wish I could hear where it was . Maybe try to get some cheap mo and mags...

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Early type 99.

I will try to make it up on Sunday at noon - unfortunately my work schedule is in flux for the weekend (waiting for overtime that I think is coming and I won't be able to turn that down if it is offered), so you won't be able to count on me, but I hope to see everyone there.

If I do come up, I'll be bringing a few of the toys. P38 because it hasn't been fired in a bit, my Winchester Model 94 30-30 because it hasn't been fired in a couple of years :( and probably my Hi Standard .22 pistol to put a bunch of rounds through.

Back
Top Bottom