• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Martin burns public range

Mine came in a week too - just got it last week, mailed it 2 weeks ago. Did you remember the self addressed stamped envelope?

Yep. I'll give it a couple more days and then follow up to see whats up. Last time year it took like 4 days to get it back.

When do they open?
If it's like years past don't they wait until it gets closer to the opening date to mail the permits?

I mailed my request for 2015 a month ago and still waiting . anybody get there's yet?

Any one get theirs yet?

I mailed mine about two weeks ago. Nothing back yet. Last year right before opening date, I mailed it and it was back at my house in two days.

When do they open?
If it's like years past don't they wait until it gets closer to the opening date to mail the permits?

Last year was late April. 25th maybe? I believe you are correct. They let them collect over the winter and send them out in one big batch before season starts. I wouldn't get worried about it quite yet. I'll post here when mine arrives.

Does anyone feel like the range is a bit unsafe? seem to remember some people saying that. Just curious cause I plan to apply.

Depends on what they mean by unsafe. There is no range officer, and really anyone can show up. However, any range that I am at, if I witness unsafe behavior, I speak up, and/or leave. You have to make that call for yourself.

It is open to the public, so leaving my rifle unattended on the bench unattended while you mess with your targets is not something that I do. Unless I am there with a friend.

The only other issue I can think of, is since it's a semi popular hiking area, some knucklehead could bushwack behind the backstop. But really, that could happen anywhere as well.

It only costs you a postage stamp to get the permit, so it's worth checking out.

Depends on what they mean by unsafe. There is no range officer, and really anyone can show up. However, any range that I am at, if I witness unsafe behavior, I speak up, and/or leave. You have to make that call for yourself.

It is open to the public, so leaving my rifle unattended on the bench unattended while you mess with your targets is not something that I do. Unless I am there with a friend.

The only other issue I can think of, is since it's a semi popular hiking area, some knucklehead could bushwack behind the backstop. But really, that could happen anywhere as well.

It only costs you a postage stamp to get the permit, so it's worth checking out.

Thanks, cool, I'll send in the letter.

Does anyone feel like the range is a bit unsafe? seem to remember some people saying that. Just curious cause I plan to apply.

I've had some interesting experiences there such as turning to the side and facing down a Mosin as someone else at the range was getting ready to clean their rifle. I'd also echo the comments about it being open to the public, I only go with a friend so one of us is always at the table.

I've had some interesting experiences there such as turning to the side and facing down a Mosin as someone else at the range was getting ready to clean their rifle. I'd also echo the comments about it being open to the public, I only go with a friend so one of us is always at the table.

Will keep that in mind, thanks.

Will keep that in mind, thanks.

I was a member at Georgetown until recently. I remember reading this thread about a guy who came up out of the woods. Also, I have had people there handle their firearms while I was down range. They were properly put in their place by my friend. I only mention this, because safety violations happen everywhere, and you need to be vigilant no matter who is running the range.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-local-range?p=3329356&viewfull=1#post3329356

Also found this old link from a while back about Martin Burns. Someone got creeped out a bit there. Once again, why I sling my rifle and walk it with me down range when shooting alone.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...rtin-Burns?highlight=creeped+out+martin+burns

I was up here last Sunday around 6 and had the place to myself. There were a few target stands set up ( I brought my own), and it looked like the place has been well used. I did see a warden on my way out, he just smiled and waved and that as it. Not a bad little range at all.

I sent in my letter last week and got the permit within a couple days, very surprised. I noticed the permit says "all firearms legal for hunting in Mass" - are there any firearms NOT legal for hunting in Mass? I know there are many rules for specific animals etc.

I sent in my letter last week and got the permit within a couple days, very surprised. I noticed the permit says "all firearms legal for hunting in Mass" - are there any firearms NOT legal for hunting in Mass? I know there are many rules for specific animals etc.

The fact that you can hunt squirrel with basically any caliber, allows you to use whatever firearm you'd like down at Martin Burns....not sure about machine guns though lol

I got my permit and I went with a .22lr handgun. EPO showed up and checked permits/license and then asked me about my ammo. Didn't say anything else. I did have a couple younger kids who were smoking show up and they took an interest in my gun. I holstered it and rehung my target.

As others have said, do not leave your guns alone at the bench. The kids ended up picking up some spent brass from the ground and left. Kinda odd

hope those kids have an LTC to possess that spent brass.

anyone have their permit handy? i'm looking for the date that the range closes

anyone have their permit handy? i'm looking for the date that the range closes

Don't go with out one lol .... Man there nazis about that . We where leaving and the guy rolled up and started telling us how we could be arrested etc. then he gave my friend shit cause his tail gate was down covering his plate.
"We realized we forgot the bag with the permits and started packing up" . I" don't care I'm weighting your plate down ". Dude was a ******* we had cases on the tail gate and he would wait for us to shove them in the bed . But he could of walked to the front to get the number .

I'd rather drive 2 hours to my land in western mass and shoot wtf I want then go back there .

Don't go with out one lol .... Man there nazis about that . We where leaving and the guy rolled up and started telling us how we could be arrested etc. then he gave my friend shit cause his tail gate was down covering his plate.
"We realized we forgot the bag with the permits and started packing up" . I" don't care I'm weighting your plate down ". Dude was a ******* we had cases on the tail gate and he would wait for us to shove them in the bed . But he could of walked to the front to get the number .

I'd rather drive 2 hours to my land in western mass and shoot wtf I want then go back there .
+1

See you next Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom