Marlin Papoose 70PSS Availability

weerwolv

NES Member
Hi all,

Been quite sometime that I've been able to post to the boards but am now getting back into shooting after a break. I'd like to pick-up a small 22 rifle that I can fit in my backpack for hiking. Based on everything I've read there are two options. Henry AR-7 or Marlin Papoose.

I'd like to try and find the Papoose.

NOBODY seems to have one in stock right now and was wondering if anyone knows any local shops that might actually have one in the rack.

Thanks in advance

A browning takedown .22 will run circles around either of those. Remington made a good quality copy of the browning rifle as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A browning takedown .22 will run circles around either of those. Remington made a good quality copy of the browning rifle as well.

I did a bunch of research on this when I was putting together a survival pack for flying around out west. The Browning is a great gun, but you could buy about 4 of the Papooses for the cost of the browning.
The henry is very cool, but because of the cheesy feel of the stock, I figured I'd never actually shoot the thing.

I ended up with a Papoose with a wood stock. I'd have preferred the plastic stocked one, but a LGS had one used for $75. I stained the stock black, added some tung oil on top of that and was done with it. Wel. . . almost.

I eventually sent it up to Yankee Hill Machine to have them thread the Bbl 1/2 x 28 so I could use a suppressor on it. Its actually a lot of fun to shoot and it still useful as a survival pack gun.

Don

Browning > Marlin > Savage

in cost, shoot-ability, aesthetics

I have a Norinco copy of that rifle which I got new at a gun show for $100, but that was back in the late 90's.
The gun functions exactly as the Browning, the parts are even interchangeable, it just doesn't have the same fancy wood and metal finish. But it doesn't have the big price tag either. I see the genuine Brownings going for $500 and up, and for that price, I wouldn't want to take it out plinking in the woods.

I have a Norinco copy of that rifle which I got new at a gun show for $100, but that was back in the late 90's.
The gun functions exactly as the Browning, the parts are even interchangeable, it just doesn't have the same fancy wood and metal finish. But it doesn't have the big price tag either. I see the genuine Brownings going for $500 and up, and for that price, I wouldn't want to take it out plinking in the woods.

I have the Remington version in .22 short that was was left to me. Very cool design.

AWS (American Weapons Systems) in Rindge, NH has a breakdown .22, where all components fit inside the hollow buttstock. Don't know the maker (Marlin Papoose 70PSS, Henry US Survival AR7, Norinco ???) just know that it was in the display case as of last Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom