• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin Model 60

Does anyone have a newer Marlin model 60? I've read tons of reviews on the 60 but most of them allude to the older ones made by Marlin as opposed to the newer Remington acquisition. Its pretty short money for a new one, Ive handled them, they fit nice and are handy, just thought I'd ask here. I have a few 10/22's already, just looking for something different.

Mine runs great. Bit of a pain to take apart and clean.
I like tube fed 22's. No mags to worry about and they hold more than 10 rounds.

Recently saw a stainless version that looks pretty good.

Only odd thing about my older one is when I chamber the first round if I don't cycle it fast as if is was fired the round will not feed... once loaded it cycles flawlessly.

I don't get it

I would hope all the newer ones have the bugs worked out. Back in the day there where issues with the feeding block. They had a kit you could buy to resolve this issue. The thing with the model 60s that seems to run true is either the run like champs or they dont. I have 4 of them all of which where easily fixed of their ailments by proper adjusting of the ejector wire or the feed ramp kit. I run my 60s with very little lube. I think this also contributes to failures of the 22lr semi autos. To much lube will hold the grit and fouling of the 22lr and turn your lube into a nasty gritty paste.... when I was a kid the 60s would go camping with us. easily put 2000+ rounds through them with out issue or cleaning.
I think the newer ones look decent and the fit and finish for the price tag is not bad. with over a 11million sold to date they cant be to bad.

I have a newer model 60, have had it for about a year and bought it new...never an issue with it, great shooter for great price. I almost bought an older model which would have been great for the high cap but no regrets on the newer production one.

I have a 1970's Glenfield Model 60 and a newer I believe 2012 Marlin Model 60 and I've have nothing but good luck. I've only had a few FTE's and FTL with weaker .22LR, mostly the Winchester 333 pack and Remington Thunderturds. I've run Blazer, Federal Auto-Match, Federal Hi-Power, Federal Bulk-Packs, American Eagle, ATI Scorpion/Armscor, CCI Standard Velocity, and CCI Minimag's with little to no issue what so ever, hell even I've had pretty good success with the box of Remington Subsonics I threw in one time. I have yet to shoot any Remington Golden Bullets, Remington Viper, or Winchester Super-Speed through either of them. They're both very accurate for stock builds. I would highly recommend them, I love the tube-fed magazines on them. As stated above, don't over-use your lubricant, I've found that they run better a little dry.

Have a blast!

I have a newer 795SS, which I think is basically the 60 that's mag fed (could be wrong), and I regret the purchase, even as cheap as it was.

I bought it new. The front sight came very obviously canted from the factory. The QC is terrible, from the front sight to the poorly molded plastic stock. The internal surfaces are a mess - lots of sharp edges and they look like they were machined by somebody in a mud hut with a dirt floor and an open fire burning in a steel drum in the corner. Feeding has been very reliable, and by that I mean I'd have feeding problems with almost every magazine, in most cases the bolt not going all the way forward for whatever reason, despite the gun being clean. That may have just been cheap ammo though. The scope rail seems to be off too - my tech sights kept falling off for some reason.

Google Marlin QC - I'm not alone.

If the gun wasn't so damn cheap, and if I didn't want to screw somebody else for $100 I would have dumped it by now, but it just sits in the safe, likely never to come out again until I die. Anyone in the market should do themselves a favor and work to find an old one or just buy a 10/22.

Last edited:
If you search "Model 60 QC" you'll find lots of people linking their well documented QC issues to the Freedom Group taking them over in 2007.

Back
Top Bottom