• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin mod. 60 - cold weather

Last time I took the plinker out (A Glenfield/Marlin Mod. 60, approx 1972) in the cold, I had a terrible time - out of 36rds I tried to put downrange, close to half of them were either FTF or a stovepipe. Clearly, the oil I used gummed things up too much when it got cold.

I'd like to give it another whirl - what's the commonly excepted wisdom for an older tube-fed rifle like this? Spray the snot out of everything with brake cleaner and run it dry?

malin 60

use hi-speed ammo.mine was made for it.and dont dig in the port to clear a jam.I just repaired a old 60.the ejector spring broke and the feed block was worn.the conversion is feed block,lifter,spring,bolt,handle $80.I paid $60 for mine from K-Mart.
and a lot of the companies dont support any thing befor 1995.[rolleyes]

MARLIN 60

Last edited:
I too have dealt with those same issues in really cold temps. I installed a new & improved buffer block, and completely tore the action apart for a thorough cleaning. I also had a new firing pin to install, but the old one was actually a smidge longer, so I put it back in. Problems were fewer, but not non-existent. Almost 1 out of 10 rounds of Golden Bullets would FTF, but would fire on second pass. I used rounds from the same batch in a Mark III and Ruger Bisley, with no FTF.

I use CLP and never have an issue. Aguila, Winchester Wildcat, CCI ammo. Subsonics, Standard and HV all run great. The only ammo I have ever had an issue w/ was Xpert. FTF in the middle of Summer. Love That 60!

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Just got back from shooting - it wasn't too terribly cold (though warmer now than it was at 9am!) nor windy; 20*F or so, and I kept the rifle pretty warm. My range has an enclosed area with a wood stove, so in between every magazine or two, I just went into the warmth and stood by the stove while reloading, and kept myself and the Marlin nice and warm.

I ran the rifle more dry than usual, and had better performance in today's temps than I usually get, even in warmer weather.

My model 60 doesn't like too much lube, regardless of temp. I just clean it real good and give it a light light light coating of oil.

This is spot on - I shot probably 200rds today, and had no FTF, and only three or so stovepipes. Much better than this rifle's performance with more lube.

use hi-speed ammo.mine was made for it.and dont dig in the port to clear a jam.I just repaired a old 60.the ejector spring broke and the feed block was worn.the conversion is feed block,lifter,spring,bolt,handle $80.I paid $60 for mine from K-Mart.
and a lot of the companies dont support any thing befor 1995.

I have been using the Federal bulk pack, which I know is crap ammo, but is also too cheap to pass up. [wink]

Speaking of modifying the Model 60 - is there a kit or parts that allow me to convert my older rifle to the newer setup with a bolt hold-open?

I have been using the Federal bulk pack, which I know is crap ammo, but is also too cheap to pass up. [wink]

Speaking of modifying the Model 60 - is there a kit or parts that allow me to convert my older rifle to the newer setup with a bolt hold-open?

Both my Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 love the Federal bulk packs, and the Remmington bulk packs too.

Is there an aftermarket for the Marlin 60? I'd like to get a better trigger for mine, but haven't had any luck searching on the web.

Back
Top Bottom