• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 39A

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
There is a Marlin 39A at lmy local gun store. I think I heard it calling my name, but can't quite bring myself to...ahem...pull the trigger on this one. It's probably 70%, have no way to measure the throat and muzzle so far. Asking price is $600 which I thought was high until I did some research on Tru Gun Value.

WHAT IS A MARLIN 39A RIFLE WORTH?​

A MARLIN 39A rifle is currently worth an average price of $1,060.34 new and $979.13 used . The 12 month average price is $950.80 new and $846.48 used.

The new value of a MARLIN 39A rifle has risen $164.31 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,060.34 . The used value of a MARLIN 39A rifle has risen $117.32 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $979.13 .

The demand of new MARLIN 39A rifle's has risen 25 units over the past 12 months. The demand of used MARLIN 39A rifle's has fallen 7 units over the past 12 months.

My very first firearm (which I still have) is a 1957 Marlin 39A. I bought it in June 1971 from a rifle coach at USAFA. It (hopefully) goes to my son when I pass on.

Having a nice backup would be nice...

From what I’ve seen lately that’s a good price if the condition is GOOD. She won’t be shot out. She will become one of your favorites really fast.

I love these. I have a 39A mountie, which is the shorter barrel version, from the 50s.

Actually needs to go to the gunsmith after giving me issues last time I took it out......but it is like 70 years old lol

I love my 39a, it's an "Article II" variant, only made in 1971, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the NRA, with a medallion imbedded in the stock.
I paid $500 for it about 15 years ago, it's easily worth double that or more now.

This is a pretty good, albeit long video on the Marlin 39A. If it's too long for you, skip to about 18 minutes in and he has a well-photographed segment on tearing down and cleaning. Much better than a few of the shorter, ham-handed (literally) than I have seen.

When I bought my Marlin 25 .22LR bolt action back in the 70's, there was a 39a sitting right next to it but for $30 more. Unfortunately, I was blowing my whole wad of mowing money and didn't have the extra 30 dollars. I have pined for one ever since but the prices keep going up until they are now insane.

My very first firearm (which I still have) is a 1957 Marlin 39A. I bought it in June 1971 from a rifle coach at USAFA. It (hopefully) goes to my son when I pass on.

Having a nice backup would be nice...

Did that. In a manner of speaking. He offered a no-cash trade for a S&W 640-1 i've had there on consignment for several months.

Film (more likely pictures) at 11.

So you've got a counter queen you're looking to sell, that no one wants? Do the trade.

Then give your '57 to your son so he can enjoy it with you. Even better if HE has a son, you can all go out together.

View: https://youtu.be/cZVAJGI90tc

As much as I love my 39A, I have to disagree that it's the "best" lever action .22 ever made.
Don't get me wrong, it's right up near the top of the the list, but my vote for #1 goes to the Browning BL-22.

I agree my BL22 grade 2 has wood fit and bluing/metal finish is a standard well above Marlins. As is my belgian Browning Autoloader 22

Yes its made in Japan, but Miroku makes a damn fine gun.

The prices they are getting for 39A's right now......BL22 all day long.

I have a guy at work who has one and a few other very old guns. He never shoots any of them but won't let them go. I've made reasonable offers but one thing he doesn't need is money.

This is a pretty good, albeit long video on the Marlin 39A. If it's too long for you, skip to about 18 minutes in and he has a well-photographed segment on tearing down and cleaning. Much better than a few of the shorter, ham-handed (literally) than I have seen.

There's not much to tearing down a 39A. After you loosen up the large knurled screw/knob (it was deliberately made to fit a quarter) you need to cock the lever about an inch or so before you split it, he left that out speaking but did it after he loosened it. Sometimes they don't want to separate so you tap the barrel tip's left side on the table top, that usually works. The reason he screws down the extractor (the screw has a cut out to fit the head then you turn the screw a bit to hold it down) is to clear the area for your rifle rod to pass. Other models you just pull the extractor out. A lot of people forget to release the extractor before reassemble.

I'd be in the air with it at 70% for what's being asked but... you said an even swap for your 640 so there's that.

So you've got a counter queen you're looking to sell, that no one wants? Do the trade.

Then give your '57 to your son so he can enjoy it with you. Even better if HE has a son, you can all go out together.

I did do the trade. And never looked back (the 640-1 is still in his case).

My son gets the newer one. At least while I'm still here. He only gets the '57 after I croak.

I have a guy at work who has one and a few other very old guns. He never shoots any of them but won't let them go. I've made reasonable offers but one thing he doesn't need is money.
It aint about money most likely.........

Old guns you can't buy anymore and/or that have some sentimental value are priceless. To hold something in your hand that your late father or grandfather or whomever may have hunted, shot or taken game with is not something to be sold IMHO.

I have several of those and if I can help it, they will be cared for, I will shoot and hunt with them, then they will get handed down to my son or nephew.

Its hard to find a 22lr with a worn bore, maybe some of the old ones that might have seen black powder use.
Other than that rust is the only 22lr bore killer

Its hard to find a 22lr with a worn bore, maybe some of the old ones that might have seen black powder use.
Other than that rust is the only 22lr bore killer

My first rifle, an elderly Stevens 87a, has a nice bulge in the barrel about 4" back from the muzzle. Still an accurate rifle even with that, and I don't shoot it enough to wear it out. Now you've got me wondering what it would take to wear out a 22LR barrel from just shooting it.

Friend of mine's 10-22 that he's had since the mid 70s appeared to be wearing out the rifling. Turns out that the rifling was fine under a protective coat of lead. He had no memory of cleaning the bore - ever.

My first rifle, an elderly Stevens 87a, has a nice bulge in the barrel about 4" back from the muzzle. Still an accurate rifle even with that, and I don't shoot it enough to wear it out. Now you've got me wondering what it would take to wear out a 22LR barrel from just shooting it.

Friend of mine's 10-22 that he's had since the mid 70s appeared to be wearing out the rifling. Turns out that the rifling was fine under a protective coat of lead. He had no memory of cleaning the bore - ever.
There are smallbore competition rifles and pistols out there with hundreds of thousands of rounds shot through them. They'll still shoot the center out of a target.

There are smallbore competition rifles and pistols out there with hundreds of thousands of rounds shot through them. They'll still shoot the center out of a target.
I bought a 1942 513t from a guy who shot it in the 70s he logged 250,000 rounds. God knows what it did the 40 years prior to him owning it. I put about 10k through it over the years. Its still has respectable accuracy.

I bought a 1942 513t from a guy who shot it in the 70s he logged 250,000 rounds. God knows what it did the 40 years prior to him owning it. I put about 10k through it over the years. Its still has respectable accuracy.
Today the skys cleared and the wind stopped just long enough to get 2 groups off . I know I posted a bore cam shot on NES and this riffle is far from pristine

I miss my 39a. I had match rear sight and globe front.

Back
Top Bottom