• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 336c 30-30 ammo choices?

About to purchase a Marlin 336c in 30-30. My experiance with this caliber is little to none.

What should I be feeding my Marlin 336c for hunting and target if I do not reload?

I prefer brass case, clean ammo for hunting, target is OK if its a little dirty.

Nice show piece because its never really been fired but I'll be taking it into the thick Maine wilderness to drop me a whitetail

I use Winchester 170 gr SPs in mine. You are going to most likely find weights of 150 or 170. Hit WM and get a couple of different boxes of ammo to see which your rifle likes better.

Hornady makes a nice 160 gr. round for .30-30. It is the Leverevolution brand. Soft pointy tips, better ballistics, ok for tubular magazines. Tests I have seen say it really adds about 50 yards to the effective range of the average .30-30. The Marlin you have should do well with it.

My Winchester shoots this well in factory loads, as well as reloads. Cheaper practice can be had using 150 gr. factory loads if needed, as the Lever..stuff can be a little more spendy. I reload most of what I shoot.

I shoot mine all year at the range, standing, kneeling, leaning against a pole etc. just to be ready for the deer that I never seem to see in NH!!

Thanks for the input. Local WM does usually have lots of rifle ammo and lucky for me the deer u didn't see in NH lives with his large extended family on my girlfriends property in Maine. Joking aside...

Thanks again I will probably spend a buck or 2 on ammo n see how different the Zero will be from leverlution and factory Winchester/remmy I should stick to soft point or HP for game?

Barnes makes a good 150 gr ammo. Buffalo Bore makes a round using the same Barnes bullet. Buffalo Bore also makes a 190gr round too. All 3 are pricey. Federal makes nice 30-30 ammo too. Federal is probably the only one you'll find at wallyworld.

Picked up my new to me model 336 SC marlin 30-30. Model year 1955... microgroove rifling all original parts bluing is at 95% stock is a deep dark walnut. About to take it out to the range and try it out with 150gr corlok remmigton ammo.

I couldn't be happier with how tight the lockup is. At a loss for words.

About 40 rounds downrange and not a hi up. Disassembled complete received cleaned all 55 years of rust out because man it was at least that. Its Bushnell 1x4 scope was nearly dead on solid deer killing 3 inch group max

Back
Top Bottom