• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 336 or go with a new Marlin 1895?

So I've been looking for a JM 336 in 30-30 for a bit now, coming up pretty empty handed, that or seeing them go for near 1000 is a tough pill to swallow. What do people think, try to hold out and keep the good search going or cave and look for at the new Ruger made 1895 in 45-70, for a bit more than what people want for a 336! They look pretty nice and so far I've been seeing good things about the quality, anyone get a chance to try one yet?

I haven't bought a lever in many years, probably close to 20 or so but as for costs, I was amazed at what the 39A's were listing for new before the Remlin bankruptcy. You could buy three of the centerfire models. I actually have both those JM's you mentioned, an 1895 in 45/70 and a 336C in 30-30, neither has been fired outside of the factory.

Leveractions cropped.jpg

is the jury in on the ruger marlins?

hasn't there been a couple of jm marlins here in the classifieds for what i thought were pretty fair prices...no where near $1k. maybe close to 700ish. you sure you been looking for a bit? or just missed 'em?

I have both and shoot the .45/70 more. Is this for range use or hunting? A .30/30 carbine is smaller and lighter than a .45/70 rifle and much easier to carry through the woods.

You are considering a Ruger because the JM costs $1K, but are fine paying more than $1K for the Ruger?

Well, people stopped buying 336's after Marlin turned to Remlin (through some acquisition years back) and because of that, used prices went through the roof. Its only worth a grand to someone willing to pay a grand. Like on gunstroker.
The JM stamp on the barrel just means it was made before the sale of the company. Its like saying "I only buy and shoot pre-lock revolvers" Its pseudo-collectible, but not like unicorn rifle.

$1000+ for a 336? o_O

I love my 1970's 336 but damn...when did they start making them in platinum?

My brother has a pre '64 model 94. The damned thing weighs about half of what my Marlin weighs. Nice firearm. I keep bugging him to sell it to me but so far, I've come up empty handed.

I am sure Ruger will do a great job with Marlin. Seems they are dedicating every resource, they are barely producing any revolvers.

Definitely look at Henry, I have a Henry 45-70 and it is very smooth. No matter how fast I cycle it, it won't jam.

So I've been looking for a JM 336 in 30-30 for a bit now, coming up pretty empty handed, that or seeing them go for near 1000 is a tough pill to swallow. What do people think, try to hold out and keep the good search going or cave and look for at the new Ruger made 1895 in 45-70, for a bit more than what people want for a 336! They look pretty nice and so far I've been seeing good things about the quality, anyone get a chance to try one yet?
PM incoming.

You are considering a Ruger because the JM costs $1K, but are fine paying more than $1K for the Ruger?

Also, isnt the 336 a 30-30, so comparing a 30-30 to a 45-70?
Well mostly considering saving for that if the new price for a used 336 30-30 is that much, was wondering if people tried the new ruger 1895 and whether those are worth it, other option is to see what ruger does with the 336. 336 came in many calibers, but I’m mostly interested in that one in 30-30. Not really comparing….just exploring options and looking for helpful opinions.

Well, people stopped buying 336's after Marlin turned to Remlin (through some acquisition years back) and because of that, used prices went through the roof. Its only worth a grand to someone willing to pay a grand. Like on gunstroker.
The JM stamp on the barrel just means it was made before the sale of the company. Its like saying "I only buy and shoot pre-lock revolvers" Its pseudo-collectible, but not like unicorn rifle.
I saw the writing on the wall and in the last year or so of production I bought 3 late model made Remlins and they were perfectly fine, the cost was running 450-550. Most people don't want to sell them because they can't get another one for less than a grand. Me included......

After the shxt years of 2012 - 2016 or so......Remlin bought all new machinery and made some inroads into making quality. Too bad it probably put them under.

Ruger will make a great rifle but I doubt you'll see it for under 900 dollars. And who knows when, you;ll see the 336 back......1-2 years at least, they are already backed up with normal gun orders.

$1000+ for a 336? o_O

My brother has a pre '64 model 94. The damned thing weighs about half of what my Marlin weighs. Nice firearm. I keep bugging him to sell it to me but so far, I've come up empty handed.
I know....us old bastards say WTF? I bought my first Marlin lever used for $150 not all that long ago. They were a 300 dollar gun used all the way up to like 2010.

Its supply.....they aren't making 336's anymore....at least til Ruger does. People who want them pay a premium.

That said....Henry is selling them for 800-900, so that's the market right now. Remlin was making them for 500, but they are not anymore, and doubtful Ruger will price them there.

Browning made Winchesters 1894's are north of a grand and have been for a while. Quality is there., and they make some damn nice rifles. Uberti, same thing....although the wood on those does not look right to me.

Last edited:
Looks like a way to do Targeted Fishing by not posting a WTB without becoming a NES Member

I haven't bought a lever in many years, probably close to 20 or so but as for costs, I was amazed at what the 39A's were listing for new before the Remlin bankruptcy. You could buy three of the centerfire models. I actually have both those JM's you mentioned, an 1895 in 45/70 and a 336C in 30-30, neither has been fired outside of the factory.

View attachment 573452
Wait.......You dont' shoot your lever guns?? Ever? Blasphemy! What kind of Cowboy doesn't kill some cans with their lever gun?

Wait.......You dont' shoot your lever guns?? Ever? Blasphemy! What kind of Cowboy doesn't kill some cans with their lever gun?

Of course I do, just not those two in particular. I've had no reason to as I have others in those calibers. For the most part, I use that 1894SS 44 that's somewhat shown, a little Puma 92 in 357 or my Marlin 39A. The two I mentioned are kind of, sort of, regulated now to my collectors side. Things I don't use or rarely use like minty pre 64 Winchesters or Colt gen 2's. I intend to leave my sons everything guns and hopefully they can appreciate the effort.

I have only one lever and its a 336,, i went into the local gunshop almost 30 yrs. ago now looking for a Winchester 94, there were several in the rack along with a solitary 336, i picked up several 94's in various calibers, each one felt loose and actually rattled when i shook it, i picked up the 336 and it didnt rattle, bought it on the spot. it was in 35 Remington, not 30/30 but i never regretted my choice.

The reason Winchesters rattle and Marlins don't is the way the lever is attached. Marlins are quieter but from a practical stand point, not necessarily better. I prefer the slimmer forearm of the Winchester. The old Marlins had the slim forearm.

I have only one lever and its a 336,, i went into the local gunshop almost 30 yrs. ago now looking for a Winchester 94, there were several in the rack along with a solitary 336, i picked up several 94's in various calibers, each one felt loose and actually rattled when i shook it, i picked up the 336 and it didnt rattle, bought it on the spot. it was in 35 Remington, not 30/30 but i never regretted my choice.
When I bought my 336 many moons ago, there was a 30-30 and a 35 almost side by side in the sales rack. When I couldn't make up my mind, the store owner recommended the 30-30 because he said that ammo for that rifle would be far easier to find in a podunk gunstore anywhere in the US than trying to find 35 Remington ammo. While he was right, I kind of regretted not buying the 35. When I got home that day, I told my wife and she asked why I just didn't buy both. I went back to buy the 35 the next morning and it was gone... :confused:

Henry Rifles are worth a look. They make several .30-30 models.

I look at Henry rifles like I look at Hyundai cars. Sure they make great cars. But I remember when they weren't so hot. And I'm stock on that thought. But I've HEARD they are pretty good.

$1000+ for a 336? o_O

I inherited a pre-64 from my wife's grandfather in 32Winspl. I was irked for a # of years early on that it wasn't in 30-30. Then I stopped caring. You can still get 32Winspl ammo. Hell, I think I have 4.8 of the 5 boxes I bought 20 years ago. LOL. Probably more than I'll ever shoot of the thing.

Looks like a way to do Targeted Fishing by not posting a WTB without becoming a NES Member
🎣 now why wouldn't I want to be on top of renewing my membership with such welcoming folk such as yourself [cheers] ...was just asking a question, clearly from my history, I have no problem with having a membership if WTB or WTS was my main purpose, just not on here that often to paying attention to when it lapses, but I put my green jacket back on, if that makes it easier for you to join the discussion about the crazy inflation of 336 prices or any experiences you've had with the Ruger 1895.

Unless I'm going to sit a power line it's the 336 that goes, every time. Pleasure to carry and quick to the shoulder. Does have a Fastfire 3 on top now...worn out eyes and all.

Any interest in a Winchester 1894 carbine in .30/30 from 1921? I know nothing about it. My son said one of his hunting buddies is selling some of his stuff.

Also, isnt the 336 a 30-30, so comparing a 30-30 to a 45-70?
The 336 action lever has hand shaping required that can not be done with a CNC program. Both the old 336 and the original 1894 had this work done in the factory. All of the old Marlin factory guns show excellent quality. (1881, 86, 89, 91, 92, 93, 94 )

The 336 action lever has hand shaping required that can not be done with a CNC program. Both the old 336 and the original 1894 had this work done in the factory. All of the old Marlin factory guns show excellent quality. (1881, 86, 89, 91, 92, 93, 94 )
I own 2 of the new Ruger made Marlins and both are better quality fit and finish/wood than the old JM's. JM's may have more collector value, but for a shooter....and one Im going to hunt with and keep.......Ill take the Ruger made anyday. Prices are downward on these and all levers now as well. People try and get 1K for them, but NFW is that market holding.

I paid $650 for my newest barely used Ruger made 1894 in 44 mag in perfect condition..........

Back
Top Bottom