• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 336 misfires

GunGrey

Banned
So my marlin was took out to the range last sunday and was fed normal leveroution ammo. Fed and fired about 10rds and then would misfire, hammer would drop but nothing besides the dreaded click. Also it wasnt me who was shooting it [hmmm]

Fast forward to today I went out with it to see if it really was doing it, sure enough same thing hammer drops but no fire. Upon examining the ejected round no firing pin mark. The pin is not hitting the primer with any force or not at all. So two things either the firing pin broke or the spring is shot and isnt working properly.

Anyone else have to deal with this problem? Anyone else hear of it before? Anyone else have an idea of what it could be?

I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I bought some leverevolution ammo for it but have not tried it yet. It is a very old firearm, but, I have never had a misfire with it. I call it my meat gun. I've never fired it at a deer that didn't go down. I wonder if it's the ammunition. Have you tried regular ammunition in it to see if it misfires?

I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I bought some leverevolution ammo for it but have not tried it yet. It is a very old firearm, but, I have never had a misfire with it. I call it my meat gun. I've never fired it at a deer that didn't go down. I wonder if it's the ammunition. Have you tried regular ammunition in it to see if it misfires?

yea put some regular rem 30-30 and fed 30-30 through her and all the same outcomes

hammer just drops and no indent from the firing pin

its not a terribly old gun

I spent the whole day in the pool with the kids. Parade at 10:00, cookout with the family, fireworks and just finished the day with a night swim with the firepit and torches going,

Awesome 4th.

Hope you had a good one.

Forgive me for my ignorance as I have never owned a lever action but if the firing pin fails to leave even a mark on the primer how could the problem be the ammunition?

This wouldn't be one of those newer Remington produced models would it?

Marlin's have a two piece firing pin with a spring. It's possible one of those components have failed. I've replaced these with a one piece aftermarket pin on my Marlins.

So I was wrong on the date its actually 1948 and i found out what the problem is

IMG_0084_zpsbda42071.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Glad you found the problem. Did you locate the broken piece? It would suck to have it jam the action.

-Kindly posting short replies so as not to upset the thin skinned, without reading complete threads. No offense.-

was the lever handle fully closed when u tried to fire? Some have a split firing pin that will prevent it from firing unless lever is seated.
one piece firing pin for marlin 1894 good or bad?

I have a marlin .35 up in the safe some where...must be from the 60's...do not remember exactly what is in there. But before u order a new firing pin, determine if u have the 1 piece or split 2 piece one in there.

It has the two piece firing pin

I was debating on getting the single piece. I don't see a problem with them i won't be running and gunning with it so an out of battery discharge is unlikely. if i go single it will make the action just a bit smoother. its the only safety feature the rifle has and this gun was made before the whole we have to protect people from themselves bullshit, so it's there for a reason.

it's an old gun and doesn't have much collector value to it since the bluing is worn, stock has a little chip in it, and someone tapped the receiver. It does however hold a lot sentimental value which is worth more.

So brownells ships pretty quick , ordered Monday got my parts today

Firing went in easy except the rear pin was a bitch. Now I just need to get a vice so I can drift out the blank in the rear dovetail. That sob is tight

My buddy has a 1971 Marlin 336 , 35 rem

On older Remington Core Lokt 200Gr and brand new Core Lokt 200gr alike, getting misfires. Some are light strikes, and some are striking normal and some are striking in the middle somewhere.

I took out the lever and bolt and cleaned them up and the inside of the action. It is much smoother now and the lever locks in nice and clean and crisp now. We will do some more test firing when we get to Maine and see if it helped.

He got it from his dad, and I know they aren't big into cleaning guns. Really dirty.

My buddy has a 1971 Marlin 336 , 35 rem

On older Remington Core Lokt 200Gr and brand new Core Lokt 200gr alike, getting misfires. Some are light strikes, and some are striking normal and some are striking in the middle somewhere.

I took out the lever and bolt and cleaned them up and the inside of the action. It is much smoother now and the lever locks in nice and clean and crisp now. We will do some more test firing when we get to Maine and see if it helped.

He got it from his dad, and I know they aren't big into cleaning guns. Really dirty.

Mine was from 1949 and i got it from a relative...........................I dont think they ever cleaned it atleast for the last decade.

but once i had it apart and cleaned it, smooth as silk.

still havent fired it yet got caught up with an AR build

Back
Top Bottom