• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 336, 35 Remington

Today I got a Marlin 336 on 35 Remington from a friend (freebee[cheers]). It has not been fired in over 30 years!, I pulled it out of the soft case and it almost disintegrated (the case). I got the user’s manual from the marlin site, any suggestions on any special care to get it going safely.
thanks.

That's a classic northeastern hunting round. No suggestions other than to clean and oil it. How's it look?

Respectfully,
jkelly

Yeah, John is right. Clean and then oil that sucker a few times. It will drink up some oil if it's been sitting in a rug all this time.

That's a classic northeastern hunting round. No suggestions other than to clean and oil it. How's it look?

Respectfully,
jkelly

I just cleaned the barrel, chamber and coated the outside a bit with oil, minor rust on the receiver, besides that it looks good. The more I look at it the more I like it.

Do I need to take it apart? the manual shows how to take the lever out to clean and lube, I don’t see any cracks or anything else that might indicate problems. I got a box of 35 Rem. express core-lokt psp, are these okay to use with a lever action?

[smile]
I have a lot of high end rifles, but, the one that is my meat gun is an old 336 Marlin in 35 Remington. It has taken a lot of deer, pouring rain, driving snow, bitter cold no problem.
200 grain round nose work best. Round nose for the tubular magazine. I know that nossler makes a round that is a ballistic tipped bullet for these now that has a much better ballistic coeficient. But I haven't tried them yet.
For a fun winter project once I steel wooled the stock down to bare wood and then hand rubbed linseed oil into it. Between coats I hung it over the furnace from strings. Of course that was over 25 years ago and I think I've got over 30 coats rubbed into it since then. It's pretty nice.

I also have one. My late brother bought it in 1966. Always been oiled, action's slick..awesome balance.

need to get a scope for it..[hmmm]

Don't shoot pointed bullets except the new Leverevolution with the soft plastic tip. Back when I shot the .35 Rem, there was a 200gr. round nose and a 150gr. pointed. I don't know what the pointed load was for but it wasn't for a tube mag.

Don't shoot pointed bullets except the new Leverevolution with the soft plastic tip. Back when I shot the .35 Rem, there was a 200gr. round nose and a 150gr. pointed. I don't know what the pointed load was for but it wasn't for a tube mag.

That was one of my concerns with the ammo, I'll try to find the Leverevolutions(good luck to me). I'm sure I can shoot the ones I have one at a time for now.
Thanks!

I give it a good cleaning; he is ready to be in public now!!!
I don’t have a lot of guns but this one is growing fast on me, it is something special about it.
I feel an urge to take it for a spin.

marlin2.jpg

marlin1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom