• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlboro Sept 26th & 27th

I will try my best to be there as i never have time to do anything but study chemistry. maybe i can hop in early in the morning

Not likely. The shows have sucked lately. i used to go strictly to buy ammo and I have purchased a few other things there as well9 guns, targets). The last couple shows the prices have been crazy and i can do better at a local shop in most cases.

Not likely. The shows have sucked lately. i used to go strictly to buy ammo and I have purchased a few other things there as well9 guns, targets). The last couple shows the prices have been crazy and i can do better at a local shop in most cases.

I'm with you on this. Some of the same dealers with high pricing were at the BR&P show this past weekend. You'll see them with the same guns and same high prices at the Marlboro show too.

I just got in on a group buy of targets at ~50% off (with no shipping charge), so I'm set for life now. As my ammo gets used, it'll motivate me to start up reloading again. Otherwise either mail order or local gun shops will fit my needs.

Last edited:
I think I am done with these type of gun shows. I came out empty handed the last three I attended-not even jerky. It's a combo of not needing anything, most interesting stuff that I would want is scooped up before the doors open, crowds, wacky prices and what seems like an increasing proportion of non gun related junk. I would rather spend my time visiting shops or the interwebs to find what I need.

While I hardly buy more then a few nick knacks. Its worth a trip. I'm thinking I'll pop in on Sat.

I am pretty much done with gun shows. They just aren't what they used to be. I started going to them with my father in the mid 1980's. He was a vendor at shows all over New England starting in the 1970's. Between then and around 2006, when his health started to go downhill and he couldn't do them anymore, I can't even count how many gun shows I went to with him. Probably hundreds, mostly in MA and NH but a few in ME too. We had some good times and I took home a lot of cool stuff as a young guy. When I got my LTC in 2000 I would go off wandering around the shows and dad would get pissed that I wasn't spending enough time tending to our tables, or sticking around for him to go use the men's room. [laugh]

I think I've only been to one or two shows since he passed in June of '13. When I say they aren't what they used to be, it's not only because of the prices, crowds, rude a$$holes and junk vendors, it's because to me, it isn't the same without the old man being there with 5 or 6 tables of random militaria for sale.

Most likely will spend my weekend doing something better. While it's nice for entertaining my eyes and my soul, nothing there that I can't get elsewhere at a better price. I find these shows to be valuable if you're a collector which I'm not.

Even if you're a collector, its tougher to find killer deals than it used to be. The age of information has made it possible for anyone to quickly research current values on items. And even worse, vendors/ sellers often base their price on figures that are already inflated. Gunbroker, Armslist, etc...
Back when there was no internet it was extremely common for sellers to have rare variations of any particular gun and not even know it. Also back then it seems the collector market wasn't nearly as big as it is now. Everytime someone posts that they got their first C&R license, I'm like "Nice!". But secretly I'm all "Damn. Another competitor." ;)

There are a few good dealers but the majority are peddling junk was my feeling from the last few shows. There have been no killer ammo deals like there used to be. I can do way better at the LGS or online and not have to pay $12 bucks for the privilege to spend money there.

They aren't much fun anymore for me and the deals aren't there to offset the admission fee

I'll most likely spend my weekend at some car shows and watching football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visited Marlborough for the past 6 events.

Absolutely not a big deal.

The only thing I recall is someone selling pre ban 30rd mag's for a good price. For the rest - I can find much better prices just picking up items from NES classifieds.

Other than the mag's, not a single deal I could not find or beat at a gun store, and the entry fee only pisses my off - $12 just to walk around ? + gas money , I worked myself up to going there, but, pulling back for now.

I still think Marlboro is the best show in MA, but that may not be saying much. I've probably been to 20+ shows there over the years and have always enjoyed myself. I've only bought a handful of guns there, but I have bought a hell of a lot of correct parts for older guns I wanted to make correct. I have also picked up mags, vintage holsters and ammo, and other odds and ends. Its also fun to talk to some dealers that I rarely see anymore and other "firearm friends" that attend the show. I don't understand the big deal of throwing $11-12 away to walk around the show for a couple of hours. Its like buying a movie ticket, but being around gun stuff.

I never really expect to find anything, and have had shows where I literally buy nothing. I have also had shows where I have dropped $3000+ on things that I have been searching for since the '80s. So you never know.

If you have some free time (which is something I rarely have nowadays), there are worse ways to spend 2 hours and $12. I just paid $18 for a car wash yesterday, and my car is dirty again. Now that was a waste of money.

Might make the trek. Need a hard case to put my AR in to transport back and forth from the range.
Anybody seen these at this particular gun show?

lol lol lol I agree BUT stay away from that jerky. Left out in the open and everyone putting thier chicken chokers on it. [puke]

I think I am done with these type of gun shows. I came out empty handed the last three I attended-not even jerky. It's a combo of not needing anything, most interesting stuff that I would want is scooped up before the doors open, crowds, wacky prices and what seems like an increasing proportion of non gun related junk. I would rather spend my time visiting shops or the interwebs to find what I need.

I've been fermenting a pair of boxers all week getting ready to hit this show. Sadly I have to work Saturday so I'll be opening the place Sunday with my daughter. I'm going to be 3 to 6 months without much shooting or reloading so hitting a few shows is going to be my only fix.

I would have gone to this one if I wasn't tied up tomorrow. At this point it's more of a social event than it is to buy anything... although I still buy stuff time to time at shows, but then again I have "ins" with some of the vendors, too.

-Mike

Social event. More knives and Chineese crap than guns and ammo. My kids love to go to pick up small items. Most of the time one or two vendors gives my kids a patch or some small war memorabilia for free. I may need some AR repair parts to keep in my bag of tricks. Not sure if I'll make it this time.

I got there first thing. I immediately scored a brick of CCI 22LF Std Velocity for $35. Several vendors had good old reloading stuff obviously freshly pulled from some deceased guy's basement. Scored a number of great finds. Primers could be had for less than $25 a brick, although there still were some dreamers at $45.

Right when I'm ready to give up on these, I carried a cardboard box out of the place that was so heavy my ride had to come and pick me up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom