Marlboro: Sept 24 & 25

This is all pretty sad. I remember how awesome all the shows were back in the 90's. Springfield was the best before they started letting all the flea market junk in. The Sturbridge show was smaller, but it seemed like every table there, had something I liked or wanted on it.
So, what happened? Is it the shitty promoter that ruined them?
How far would we have to travel to find a great show, PA?
It wasn't so much the flea market junk as it was the promoter losing ffls who actually wanted to buy tables so of course at that point they're going to sell tables to anybody.... in early 2000s Springfield was huuuuuuge.... those days are long gone with dealers getting sick of paying stupid (increasing, annually) money for tables and all the antics the promoter pulls by f****** over people in favor of her pet dealers etc. A lot of dealers were like "s*** I could have made this little money just staying in my shop and keeping the shop open on Saturday and Sunday instead". It became not worth the abuse of trying to conduct show sales to get abused by the promoter, and later on, the promoter and her pet snitches "narcing" dealers selling legal stuff that they were too pussy to sell, etc.

If you guys are going to go to mass gun shows at least go to the club shows at this point they're not really that much smaller than the s******* douche promoter shows and even if you don't buy anything , at least youre supporting a local gun club.... that and most of them will have an open kitchen and you can eat on the cheap at a bare minimum.
.. I would gladly waste 6 hours of a Saturday going to support a club show with maybe a hundred tables tops then go to anything that stupid c*** is running. I know Lunenburg used to have one of these in the fall but there are probably a half dozen clubs that run mini shows during the fall as well.

No line. Attendance down for certain. No ammo guy. No Dave the PA parts guy. Mike from West Spfld not there.
I was surprised Chris, the NY Ammo guy wasn't there. Dave the parts guy from PA had a heart attack a few weeks ago. Last time I saw him he'd just had his 2nd toe amputated, he's a diabetic. I'm hoping the Wilmington Show in November will be better.

If you guys are going to go to mass gun shows at least go to the club shows at this point they're not really that much smaller than the s******* douche promoter shows and even if you don't buy anything , at least youre supporting a local gun club.... that and most of them will have an open kitchen and you can eat on the cheap at a bare minimum.
.. I would gladly waste 6 hours of a Saturday going to support a club show with maybe a hundred tables tops then go to anything that stupid c*** is running. I know Lunenburg used to have one of these in the fall but there are probably a half dozen clubs that run mini shows during the fall as well.
@drgrant Perhaps you can sticky a new thread with a list of club shows, updated in the 1st post?

Here's a start from what I knew pre-Covid:

Holbrook Sportsmen's Club ran 2 shows/year. Nothing showing as of today and they apparently still have strict Covid protocols in place. Webpage if they ever resume shows is: Holbrook Sportsmens Club - Sportsmen Show and Special Events

Braintree Rifle & Pistol used to run them, unfortunately the person who ran them passed away a few years ago and I'm unaware that anyone ever picked up the gauntlet. Perhaps a current member can provide some insight.

I think I was born too late to go to any good NE gun shows... and for cheap ammo
Back in the day the dealers had special gun show prices on almost everything, and the prices were actually less, not more than normal like it is now. I bought my first AR at the Springfield show from a CT dealer that could no longer sell it in his own state. This was literally, right after their salt rifle ban in 93 (I think). It's a Bushmaster A2 with a Colt barrel. It's my only real preban. Got a good deal on it.

Many fewer tables; increased admission price. Shrinkflation + Inflation.

I have an interesting talk with the guy at the Starrett table. They were exhibiting product, not selling as far as I could tell. He showed my how their force meter is used to generate those cool trigger pull graphs you see in the gun rags. Now it gets interesting.....

He stated that Ruger generates a trigger pull graph of every gun sold and keeps in on file. If a gun is found with an obliterated serial number, the police agency can have Ruger re-generate the graph on the instrumentation, compare that the graphs on file, and match it to the individual gun.

There was the typical "with all these people here some sucker will pay what I ask" pricing. The going rate for old 30 round AR mags was about $50 (sitting, not selling); Glock pre-bans frm $100 to $125, and ancient surplus 7.62x39 ammo at 75 cents around - and that was by the case pricing.

I was surprised Chris, the NY Ammo guy wasn't there. Dave the parts guy from PA had a heart attack a few weeks ago. Last time I saw him he'd just had his 2nd toe amputated, he's a diabetic. I'm hoping the Wilmington Show in November will be better.
Lord knows Dave has had his share of health problems. His buddy told me he had a stroke and was in rehab. Nothing would surprise me. o_O

The ammo guy didn't show and no one knew why. Show management said they hadn't heard from him. I asked if he would maybe be there Sunday, but they just shrugged their shoulders. :(

Many fewer tables; increased admission price. Shrinkflation + Inflation.
I have my own theory that the Interwebs are playing a big part in killing the gun shows just like they ruined (and eventually stopped) the computer shows. It seems everything can be found quicker, easier and often cheaper on the Internet these days. 🤔

@drgrant Perhaps you can sticky a new thread with a list of club shows, updated in the 1st post?

Holbrook Sportsmen's Club ran 2 shows/year. Nothing showing as of today and they apparently still have strict Covid protocols in place. Webpage if they ever resume shows is: Holbrook Sportsmens Club - Sportsmen Show and Special Events

Braintree Rifle & Pistol used to run them, unfortunately the person who ran them passed away a few years ago and I'm unaware that anyone ever picked up the gauntlet. Perhaps a current member can provide some insight.
Standish Sportsman Club in East Bridgewater used to have them in February.

Standish Sportsman Club in East Bridgewater used to have them in February.
Used to... used to... used to...

What good are club shows that aren't being run any longer? Nostalgia? :(

Lord knows Dave has had his share of health problems. His buddy told me he had a stroke and was in rehab. Nothing would surprise me. o_O

The ammo guy didn't show and no one knew why. Show management said they hadn't heard from him. I asked if he would maybe be there Sunday, but they just shrugged their shoulders. :(
My bad, he had a stroke, not a heart attack. His buddy (the older gentleman that always sets up next to him) told me that.

I'll text Chris, the NY Ammo guy and find out what up coming Shows he plans to be at.

As far as management goes, I didn't recognize a soul.

My bad, he had a stroke, not a heart attack. His buddy (the older gentleman that always sets up next to him) told me that.

I'll text Chris, the NY Ammo guy and find out what up coming Shows he plans to be at.

As far as management goes, I didn't recognize a soul.
Just as bad... maybe even worse than a heart attack. :(

I always enjoy talking with Dave even when he doesn't cut me a break on what I need. [laugh] I wish him a good and full recovery. [thumbsup]

I have my own theory that the Interwebs are playing a big part in killing the gun shows just like they ruined (and eventually stopped) the computer shows. It seems everything can be found quicker, easier and often cheaper on the Internet these days. 🤔
Brick and mortar stores don’t have to compete with online sales? Why do gun shows in other states still do well - do other states not have the internet?

MA gun shows are shitty because of a shitty promoter and shitty perpetual dealers that don’t have to complete with new, better dealers. And as long as people keep throwing their money away at these events they will continue.

Last edited:
MA gun shows are shitty because of a shitty promoter and shitty perpetual dealers that don’t have to complete with new, better dealers. And as long as people keep throwing their money away at these events they will continue.

Very true. You go to a NH show and it’s night and day compared to MA shows.

Brick and mortar stores don’t have to compete with online sales?
Did I say that? Sorry, I must have misspoken. 🤔
Why do gun shows in other states still do well - do other states not have the internet?
The gun shows themselves are doing just fine, here and elsewhere. It's the attendees who are losing out (here, in particular) from a variety of issues.
MA gun shows are shitty because of a shitty promoter and shitty perpetual dealers that don’t have to complete with new, better dealers. And as long as the promoter is making money with these events they will continue.
Fixed it for you. [cheers]

Used to... used to... used to...

What good are club shows that aren't being run any longer? Nostalgia? :(
The hope is that someday the clubs will get over the Covid scare-athon and revert back to the events they used to run. My list was a "watch these clubs for a change in policy". I'm no longer in MA and won't be attending any such events, but I definitely made out much better at the Holbrook and Braintree shows than I ever did at the commercial shows.

The hope is that someday the clubs will get over the Covid scare-athon and revert back to the events they used to run. My list was a "watch these clubs for a change in policy". I'm no longer in MA and won't be attending any such events, but I definitely made out much better at the Holbrook and Braintree shows than I ever did at the commercial shows.
I never really scored at either club show. However, I found Wayne (of Wayne's Weaponry fame) at the Holbrook show and later bought a gun from him that I had first seen at the show. [thumbsup]

Good point, up to a point. But other states also have the Internet. Plus, half of the Internet sites won't ship to MA, so that contradicts your assertion a little. I think a lot of the people who would be sellers are afraid of getting in trouble somehow. Is that "Mass Prudence"?

And you really don't know why? Seriously? 🤔

MA gun show could be just as good if the promoter didn’t kick out vendors who have too good of a price and then piss of other vendors so they leave as well. When you go to a gun show and there are only 5-6 gun vendors what does that tell you. Basically there needs to be a new promoter.

Good point, up to a point. But other states also have the Internet. Plus, half of the Internet sites won't ship to MA, so that contradicts your assertion a little. I think a lot of the people who would be sellers are afraid of getting in trouble somehow. Is that "Mass Prudence"?
Your observation is correct. It ticks me off to no end how many companies deny MA residents out of fear of Dimples the Tyrant. PSA, in particular, is fanatic about not selling anything to Ma**h***s (not even a hat). And I can't buy my "oddball" ammo at anything approaching a decent price because... Massachusetts. :mad:

But there is still plenty that you can buy online and I have done well in that regard. The shows only come around so many times per year... and none of the plastic gun shops sell what I am looking for. Few on Gunbroker or eBay or on various gun forums will not sell into MA. The truth is that much of what I go to the shows to seek out can be bought online with just a little searching effort. But like everything else in life, your results may vary. [thumbsup]

Your observation is correct. It ticks me off to no end how many potential gun show vendors deny MA residents out of fear of Dimples the Tyrant. PSA, in particular, is fanatic about not selling anything to Ma**h***s (not even a hat). And I can't buy my "oddball" ammo at anything approaching a decent price because... Massachusetts. :mad:

But there is still plenty that you can buy online and I have done well in that regard. The shows only come around so many times per year... and none of the plastic gun shops sell what I am looking for. Few on Gunbroker or eBay or on various gun forums will not sell into MA. The truth is that much of what I go to the shows to seek out can be bought online with just a little searching effort. But like everything else in life, your results may vary. [thumbsup]
FIFY

Back
Top Bottom