• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlboro Gun Show - Jan 28/29th 2006

GOAL show

LenS said:
And I'll be the one walking past everyone in line to get an exhibitor badge and heading to the GOAL table.

See you all there. I'll probably be wearing a GOAL hat.
And I'll be the other one, heading to the USPSA table - but I'll already have the exhibitor badge from setup tonite.

I'll also have my JP CTR-02 which is worth checking out if you are into the AR15 weapons platform.

What can I purchase if I don't have my LTC yet?

This may be an odd question but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I haven't received my MA LTC yet but I've been told that it will be available in the next week or two (Christmas comes in February for me this year :)). In preparation I've purchased a reloading press and set of dies and I'd like to buy some supplies ahead of time.

I'd like to attend the Marlboro show tomorrow and purchase some reloading supplies. Will I find any bargains in bullets or brass and do I need an FID or LTC to buy them? I assume that I won't be able to purchase primers or powder without a license. Is that true?

As written, the Mass regs consider all components of ammunition the same as assembled, complete ammunition. So, technically, you need a license to buy those components. Does every vendor check, every time? No - but at Marlboro they probably will.

There is a bill in the legislature pending (no idea what the status is) that would change this, but it hasn't happened yet - if ever.

That's not to say you can't still pick up plenty of other supplies - cleaning stuff, shooting accessories, etc., so still go to the show. It's fun just to look and price things!

USMA-82 said:
Does every vendor check, every time? No - but at Marlboro they probably will.

I have to say, and not that it's right. But I've never been to a show where they asked to see my LTC for any type of ammo, heads and primers. I've never bought Powder or Brass at a show, so I can't answer for that one.

But it's up to you if you want to try it... It would be more of getting caught if you didn't have your LTC later. Maybe you get into an accident, cop is next to you when you get out of your car at Wendy's, etc...

Best thing would be have someone go with you that has their LTC, they buy what you want, and they keep it until you have your permit.

As for deals, if you walk around and haggle, you'll find a good deal in there.

RE: purchase before LTC issue

Thanks C-pher for the quick reply.

I'll guess that I'll have to limit myself to window shopping tomorrow but I'll definitely go.

C-pher is right!

I don't worry that they don't ask me for LTC to sell me stuff. Since I have one in my pocket, if anything happens I am legal.

If I didn't have a LTC, however it is treated as a serious crime in MA and a lifetime disqualifier!

Within the past 2 weeks our PD stopped a woman for driving on a suspended license. When they did an inventory of her possessions incident to arrest (required by law), they found a small container of chemical spray (probably OC). She had no FID/LTC, so she's also facing charges of possession of "ammunition" (chemical spray) in addition to the MV charges.

POs don't usually go looking for this stuff to charge people with, but when they find it incidentally, you could be screwed.

Best to hook up with a friend with LTC and have them stash the stuff until you get your LTC. That way you get any deals (If there are any to be had) and stay legal.

What are you looking to buy?

So what is everyone looking for at the Marlboro show? Myself i'm always looking for a good deal on an old milsurp. I like to call it that "seller doesn't know how valuable it really is" find. :D
Other than that i'm basically going for ammo, after all we live in Massachusetts and ya gotta get it when ya can get it. [lol]

I am mainly going for ammo. There is a company called M&M Reloads that was at the last show, that had great deals on 200 round boxes of 40S&W lead reloads.

I also have some questions for the guy who sells the cold blue stuff (works great BTW)

I need some cleaning patches.

And whatever else tickles my fancy.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I also have some questions for the guy who sells the cold blue stuff (works great BTW)
Adam

If its the same one, I saw that stuff at one show but was skeptical. Now that I have a few older not so collectable rifles that i'd like to touch up in areas, i'm considering getting something that works. I didn't care for the cold blue I got from Natches. Kleen Bore Black Magic I think it was called. :?
I almsot forgot, got to hit the jerky stand for more Downeast style Jerky. :D

The stuff I got is called Vincents I think..

Works pretty good, and matches up perfectly if you use for a touchup. I just want to talk to him about doing an entire barrel, and check out his wood finishing products too..

Adam

I am going to see about some .223, an I-Shot range bag, and (keep my fingers crossed) some 12 round USP mags. However if there is a nice M12 Winchester I may have to give it a new home

I will probably have on an Alpinestars hoodie sweatshirt with an 11 y/o next to me. Say hi if you see me.
Should be there early Sat.

Be wearing my Red Sox Cap with an AR pin on the front. I'll see if I can find a Square and Compasses pin too [wink]

So what is everyone looking for at the Marlboro show?

I was going to pick up some Glock parts, but Jon "The Glock Doc" just emailed me that he will not be there, he is going to the Chantilly (VA ?) show instead. So I'll be on the look-out for any good buys on older Smiths, plus some Federal ammo if any is available. Especially the .45 ACP EFMJ.

Marlboro Show

I was at the show for setup today, and the good news is they didn't need to use the moveable "wall" to shrink the size of the show floor to make it look full when under capacity.

The bad news is that you can expect few bargains at this, or any other, show. The prevailing sentiment is usually "With the thousands of people here today, someone will pay $489 for a Glock Mdel 22 refurb which you can get any day at Four Seasons for $399."

Gun shows are fun to visit, but the majority of people looking to buy or sell are hoping to get lucky and find someone with less knowledge so they can take advantage of them.

Ed,

Many take ccs if they can get a signal on their cell phones to process the charges (it gets dicey in some of the buildings used for gun shows).

Some only take cash and some will take checks with ID.

Rob, that tracks my experiences and why I don't usually look too hard at guns at the shows. I only scored one bargain (USP .45c) in all my years of going to gun shows. I usually get books, supplies, accessories, etc. at the shows . . . and sometimes I don't spend more than a few bucks over admission (+parking in W. Springfield <grr> and jerky).

See you there tomorrow.

I'm hoping to be there when they open or thereabouts. Look for the fat guy with a shaved head and a goatee (yeah, I know that doesn't really narrow it down much). I'll also have on a black "Nation of Rifleman" T-shirt...

See you tomorrow!

C-pher said:
Got a call from BJ offering to pick me up and take me. I just have too much we're doing today to go.

But, I do expect a report from everyone letting us know what you got.

Well, I got two boxes of .30-30 Win and four boxes of .357 Magnum reloads.

I met JonJ, Cletus J Crabb, Brett, wherewolf, TypeO, and USMA-82. And saw LenS again. (EDIT) Oops, saw Adam again too. I *knew* I was going to forget someone... Sorry Adam!)

Good time. Definitely worth the $8 to get in...

I got to go and it was a pretty good trip. We got there about 10 or so and the line was long, but moving quickly. We got in paid, and I checked my ammo. To of the security dopes came up to me within 30 seconds all upset to tell me that I had to check my ammunition. The first time I patiently explained that I had. The second time (this guy had been standing right next to the table where I was checking in) I wasn't quite so polite about it. That out of the way we proceeded to walk around.

I'd say about 50/50 militaria and firearms/ammo. I heard one dealer telling a seller that the company putting the show on had screwed up because they mis-scheduled the dates AND advertised this as a militaria show.

The crowds were good sized and there were even a few bargains to be had, but not many. We bought some ammo from a dealer out of West Point, NY.

My friend looked at a used, but like new Ruger 10/22 in Stainless. It was priced at $189.00 but they accepted his offer of $175.00. He got cold feet and I told the dealer I would come back later if I was interested. I have a 10/22, but I do like the look of the stainless.

So, we walked around some more. One dealer was selling Mosin Model 38 for $120.00. They were advertised as brand new, and they sure looked it. I was very, very tempted, but passed. I know I'm going to regret that.

However, I did go back to the dealer with the 10/22 and bought it for $165.00. All in all, I think that was fair deal. The thing looks like it's never been shot.

As Len and others predicted, there were no deals on handguns. Everything seemed to be at the high end of the spectrum.

This show seemed to be better than the last Marlboro show in terms of dealers and attendees.

Gary

Silly question, but, did anyone notice if any of the dealers were selling gun purses? I don't want to get into a discussion about whether they're a good idea or not, I'm just curious if they were selling any. Thanks!

I went to the show.. Met a bunch of NESers (nice to meet you all) saw a few I have met before (nice to see you all again). There weren't many deals to be had, some REAL overpriced stuff, but the guy from M&M Reloads was there, and gave me a deal on 4 200 round boxes of his lead reloads. The only other thing I bought was a $1.75 water. Of course none of the parts dealers had the one piece ejector that I needed for my Nagant, but I didn't expect them to.

I left the show, dropped off my ammo at home, then went to see Carl at Four Seasons, and buy the carry ammo I needed. It's 19.95 from him, where as at the show it was $25.

Adam

I got there about 10:30 and had to park at the far end of the hotel lot, but the walk did me good after the drive. Only met Darius (Cross-X) at the GOAL table.

The right side of the hall was very crowded, hard to walk through and see what was on display. Not very many deals on handguns that I could see, although one guy bought two G27's for just under $1200 from one dealer in the middle (did not see what condition they were in). Saw a few nice-looking S&W Model 36s for under $300. Nothing much else tempted me.

I ended up with a new G26 mag, a G26 grip plug, and a Don Hume IWB holster for a Sig P245.

I'm glad that I went but doubt I'll travel that distance again for this show,

First off I'll say I have no idea if I met any of you or not because there was a way bigger crowd than I have ever seen at this show. Recognizing a new face out of the sea of humanity that was there would have been tough for me anyway. As it is most of the dealers remember me before I remember them, its probably the ponytail and black Falcon graphite rods hat that gives me away. I am bad with remembering faces though. [roll]
One of the usual vendors had a crate of M38 Mosins but already having one I passed on that deal. The NY ammo guys had some rare stuff as usual, no 6.5x55 Swede though which was what I was really looking for. He said he'd hook me up next month at Wilmington though so who knows. A few stacks of targets, some jerky, and a rare find of 303 British HXP ammo (2 for $38, not bad) and that was all I bought.
I saw several butchered Mosins and SKS rifles. Some prices on regular K98s and other rifles that were so high that I had to look twice, inspect for rarity and when I found it was an average piece the only thing I could do was feel pitty for the poor SOB who was eventually gonna pay that much for it. :?
A road trip after the show to Four Seasons and then M&Ms and I wound up with the 6.5 I wanted, and an Argentine Mauser haggled down to a fair price.
Now with a show every month for the next 4 months, looks like any summer vacation saving will be tough. Who knows though with some of the insane prices out there at the shows.

I was there this morning. Had the pleasure of meeting Len, Rob Boudrie and Adam. Walked out with a new I-Shot range bag as well as a few odds and ends and some jerky. I had the same plan as Adam and was heading off to visit Four Seasons but got sidetracked before I made it.

Bugie

I got there around 10:15 and saw there was still a line of people going in, kinda knew it was gonna be crowded. Met up with a few NES folks..Len, Adam, JayG, Weer'dBeard and probably some others I didn't know. Most everything was over-priced as usual, but I wasn't in the market for any firearms today. Picked up a decent priced Sig P239 mag and just mostly walked around. Terry Goode had some nice looking MN 91/30's, but since I didn't bring any copies of my c&r, I passed on them. [cry].

Well, next show is Wilmington and there's always good stuff there.

Back
Top Bottom