Market in the toilet who’s buying?

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can't trade short-term, just not a fan of non-stop capital gains tax. I like anything that's paying constantly dividends. I can't take the emotional turmoil of up and down, up and down. REITs and tax-free municipal bonds are on my list right now.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No.

I make it easy ... let's say STOCK A is trading at $12 today and I think it will go down to $10.

I place a buy order for $10 and make it good until cancelled.

When the stock hits $10, it gets executed.

You can do the same for sales. So you can stage the sale at $12 and bot worry about being infront of your computer.
Yes, a Limit order. It sounded like it traded for you over the weekend, that's why I asked if you used Extended (after hours) on the trades.

In this market I pretty much put in all stink bid orders. A stock might be $5, and the 6 year low is $3. I'll put an order in for $3 or $3.1.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I can't trade short-term, just not a fan of non-stop capital gains tax. I like anything that's paying constantly dividends. I can't take the emotional turmoil of up and down, up and down. REITs and tax-free municipal bonds are on my list right now.
It's fine if you have losses to offset the gains. But I mostly use my tax-free accounts.

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

I make it easy ... let's say STOCK A is trading at $12 today and I think it will go down to $10.

I place a buy order for $10 and make it good until cancelled.

When the stock hits $10, it gets executed.

You can do the same for sales. So you can stage the sale at $12 and not worry about being infront of your computer.

I use Merrill. I dont know what other brokerage platforms allow you to do. I would Imagine that the big ones allow you to do that, it is fairly basic.
I do the same thing with Vanguard, of course the one stock I had a 60 order on I should have sold at market price a week ago. It lost even more, was greedy trying to get my money back. Finally liquidated it after shit news (couldn't make margin calls and suspended their dividend) came out last night and the stock lost 45% at open. Invested in something stronger, took my $100 lesson.

If you don't like turmoil maybe don't look at the daily prices of REITs, it is overreaction all day long at the moment. You can get some decent prices and returns if you buy when its down but I have seen some pretty big swings recently.

I bought MRN-C yesterday, and I am up 9.21%. Why? Who knows, but I am getting a defined and cumulative dividend at least untill next September. ($1.531 dividend/share at $18 yesterday).

Did not read all their financials but STAG had a bunch of articles this morning, was not surprised when they spiked. Though seems that they are back down to $19 now from a high of $20.24 before lunch.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Nearly every major financial player is predicting double-digit negative growth rates through the second quarter.
in 07 or 08, oil was up to 150/bbl. EVERY expert was predicting $200. It never crossed 150. The “smart” players act just like you and me. Better to be wrong as a group than be right by yourself.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
GOLD - re APMEX

Bought 4 gold eagles the Sunday The FED stepped in - without considering all the 2+2=fish over the past week and a half.

Has anyone noticed physical Gold is now selling $150 over spot?

USS_Silversides

NES Member
Rating - 97.9%
46   1   0
Took a small position in GE in the 8s and kept adding down to the low 6s this month. Figure the stock is so beat to hell right now why not; I’m Larry Culp fan and think he’s the right guy for the situation. I also like to have a “pet” stock to follow for fun. Everything else I own is in various indexes.

If I’m wrong the shares will end up in my little kids’ Christmas stockings as gifts with a note that says “open in 15 years”.

Last edited:

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you buying? selling? Waiting?
I am not convinced it has all factored in the 0 that is happening for some businesses currently.

Without haveing a timeline and final numbers it's hard to know if market overreacted or if it should drop further.

However I am hoping it has already bottomed as that will mean there aren't all the corporate bankruptcies that could spider web out of this.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am not convinced it has all factored in the 0 that is happening for some businesses currently.

Without haveing a timeline and final numbers it's hard to know if market overreacted or if it should drop further.

However I am hoping it has already bottomed as that will mean there aren't all the corporate bankruptcies that could spider web out of this.
If you look at the panicked Federal Reserve throwing trillions of liquidity at the wall to see what sticks, that tells you how bad it is.

It's like if you look out your window and see 1000 firetrucks driving by. Something huge is on fire.

30% down from the peak of the biggest bubble in human history - it's just an appetizer. And it has nothing to do with the virus, that was just the gunshot that started the avalanche.

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the panicked Federal Reserve throwing trillions of liquidity at the wall to see what sticks, that tells you how bad it is.

It's like if you look out your window and see 1000 firetrucks driving by. Something huge is on fire.

30% down from the peak of the biggest bubble in human history - it's just an appetizer. And it has nothing to do with the virus, that was just the gunshot that started the avalanche.
That's why I hope it's an overreaction. Money can burn but people will be financially ruined and lots of death. Rooting against that part.

Massive inflation or FDIC somehow not being able to insure bank accounts would hurt anyone who "waited" while the world had the air sucked out of it.

I am optimistically investing in real estate and if it all turns bad I guess I will trade some 9 mm for logs and gas then I will have heat once the cut and split wood I prepped previously runs out. [smile]

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
(hocus-pocus alert)
So IF yesterdays low (SPY) was the low for this leg down from the Mar 19 high, a 38.2% retracement would bring us to around 264, a 50% retracement would bring us to 278 and a 61.8% retracement would bring us to 292.

Last edited:

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
(hocus-pocus alert)
So IF yesterdays low (SPY) was the low for this leg down from the Mar 19 high, a 38.2% retracement would bring us to around 264, a 50% retracement would bring us to 278 and a 61.8% retracement would bring us to 338.

The all time high was 338, so that doesn't sound right.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So are you buying? selling? Waiting?
Buying as the market hits targets. That way I don't have to worry about trying to time what Trump or the Fed or panicked investors or anyone else is doing. When I get a sale, I buy. Bigger sale? Buy more. Just like with T-shirts or underwear. ;)

I think Powell is a cat in a room full of rockers on a good day. I HATED Jammit Yellen, but this guy isn't any better. At the first sign of any issue, he runs for the exit. You want a Fed chair who is calm and collected. He's not.

2 weeks ago, they drop interest rates to zero. On a Sunday morning. A FREAKING SUNDAY MORNING! Talk about inspiring confidence in the markets, eh? He basically said, "I'm so scared right now that any sense of logic is out the window. I'm announcing now to make myself feel better." What did the market do? It had it's worst day. Hmmmm. That announcement could have waited for 10am on Monday and he could have mentioned they worked all weekend on this. People expect that. But a government guy making an announcement on a Sunday morning means "we are panicking. Good luck. I'm moving to Mars."

The only good thing he's done is put a date-cap on this whole shebang. This is one of those moments when poor government people decide to make temporary programs permanent. Maybe this will encourage the Fed to realize they have NO TOOLS IN THEIR TOOLBOX and back the freak off of their overprotective moves faster. At least I can hope.

Hell, on the subject of hope, maybe .gov will realize we don't have a collections problem in this country but a spending problem. With mounting debt, they decide to cut back on spending. Sure, none of you will be happy. "Oh, they are taking away my (fill in your pet project here because somehow you are owed it). That's not fair." But stuff has to be done to cut the budget. Even if we raised taxes, it wouldn't help enough. Something's gotta give. I HOPE that this crisis makes it abundantly clear that they have to go on a diet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my toilet and the old toilet is out by curb. It was the kind that uses lots of water.

Oh, wait, just read the title again. Never mind. Hmmm, the old toilet may become more valuable than some stocks.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Buying as the market hits targets. That way I don't have to worry about trying to time what Trump or the Fed or panicked investors or anyone else is doing. When I get a sale, I buy. Bigger sale? Buy more. Just like with T-shirts or underwear. ;)

I think Powell is a cat in a room full of rockers on a good day. I HATED Jammit Yellen, but this guy isn't any better. At the first sign of any issue, he runs for the exit. You want a Fed chair who is calm and collected. He's not.

2 weeks ago, they drop interest rates to zero. On a Sunday morning. A FREAKING SUNDAY MORNING! Talk about inspiring confidence in the markets, eh? He basically said, "I'm so scared right now that any sense of logic is out the window. I'm announcing now to make myself feel better." What did the market do? It had it's worst day. Hmmmm. That announcement could have waited for 10am on Monday and he could have mentioned they worked all weekend on this. People expect that. But a government guy making an announcement on a Sunday morning means "we are panicking. Good luck. I'm moving to Mars."

The only good thing he's done is put a date-cap on this whole shebang. This is one of those moments when poor government people decide to make temporary programs permanent. Maybe this will encourage the Fed to realize they have NO TOOLS IN THEIR TOOLBOX and back the freak off of their overprotective moves faster. At least I can hope.

Hell, on the subject of hope, maybe .gov will realize we don't have a collections problem in this country but a spending problem. With mounting debt, they decide to cut back on spending. Sure, none of you will be happy. "Oh, they are taking away my (fill in your pet project here because somehow you are owed it). That's not fair." But stuff has to be done to cut the budget. Even if we raised taxes, it wouldn't help enough. Something's gotta give. I HOPE that this crisis makes it abundantly clear that they have to go on a diet.
Agree on all points!

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just replaced my toilet and the old toilet is out by curb. It was the kind that uses lots of water.

Oh, wait, just read the title again. Never mind. Hmmm, the old toilet may become more valuable than some stocks.
I think you got it right the first time.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Bought in on XOM, GE and DUK. I bought XOM the other day at 31 a share which I think will be tripled in 5 years.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What do you guys think of AOBC short term (3 months) with all the panic buying? Currently at about $7.80
Hard to say. Theres a lot of stuff whose stock price isnt jiving with the business theyre doing right now. Supermarkets literally cant keep enough food on the shelves, but I just got stopped out of KR this am. Theyre basically trading now at a level they were at in early November when 95% of the people in the country had 3 days worth of food in the house and no one knew what a Covid 19 was.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I watched a facility in Massachusetts that was taken over by the state and did a complete rehab. Must have spent 2 million. All the restrooms were converted to the low water flush systems. Inside of a week, all of those had signs on them that said, "Please flush twice." The new systems used 3/4 of what the previous systems used, thus with the water saving toilets, they used 50% more than before.

Top Bottom